+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shall i apply for driving license during 15 days of Temporary Landing?

geranimo

Star Member
Jun 25, 2009
Hi guys

I am landing next month for 15 days in Toronto and intend to return for permanent purpose after 2 years. During the 15 days of short visit, shall i apply for any category of Driving License? Which category of License will be granted to me and how? Do i need to pass any written or practical tests? I have been driving since last 20 years (left hand drive) and can come with the following:

1. Authentication letter from Ministry endorsing that my details (in particular duration of holding license and also no record of violation/major accident).

2. International Driving License

Shall i bring both of just any of the two (I can get both conveniently both at reasonable cost) ? Please advise.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment but what is the point if you are not returning for 2 years. You can on your eventual return drive upto 60 days with your home country licence and an IDP. What address would you supply anyway ? Also they sometimes ask to have your home country licence handed over in exchange.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

A soft landing most that people will do especially if not returning for a while (years)might be open a bank account and apply for a SIN leaving health card and divers licence until back permanently

Last edited: