+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settling in Quebec--1st year tax questions

ugterrier

Mar 14, 2014
Hi everyone,

I've been a PR for a couple of years now, but I'm just now finally getting ready to move up to Quebec permanently from the US. Like many, I'm a bit mind-boggled by how my taxes will work the first year. Here are the facts:

1) I will have US income from my teaching job in the States until August. (US taxes are withheld)
2) I also have a part-time job online in the States that I can continue from anywhere, which brings in a few grand/year. (US taxes are NOT withheld)
3) I'll be starting work in Canada in July, picking up a part-time job I began last summer, until I can find full-time employment.

What I'm wondering is...how will all of this look next year when I file taxes. Will the US taxes withheld from my full-time job cover taxes on that and on my part-time US online work?

If so, will I then just owe Canadian taxes on my Canadian income for the first year?

I thought I read somewhere that, for the first year, you basically pay US taxes on the US income and Canadian on the Canadian. Is that true?

Please help! I realize I have a while, but I'd like to mentally prepare myself, so that there are no big surprises next Spring.

Thanks in advance!