+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settlement Funds

nilsej

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
Dear Friends,

I was having some queries regarding settlement fund which we need to carry with us while landing and I email CHC New Delhi and they were very quick in reply and this is the reply I got which will help to answer many questions on this forum.

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in response to your recent email enquiry to the Immigration Section of the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi.

The amount of funds you need to have in order to settle in Canada depends on the size of your family. The funds must be available to you and transferable to Canada. They must be unencumbered by debts or other obligations.

Number of family members
Funds required
$11,086
$13,801
$16,967
$20,599
$23,364
$26,350
7 or more
$29,337

Acceptable proof of funds are:
-bank accounts in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;
-cashable investments in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;
-cashable fixed deposits in your name of the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner.

Not acceptable are:
-bank accounts in someone else’s name;
-bank accounts which are joint in your name and someone else (other than your accompanying spouse/common-law partner);
-bank accounts in the name of your spouse who is not accompanying you to Canada;
-property valuations;
-vehicle valuations;
-jewellery valuations.

You are not required to carry your funds in cash when you arrive in Canada. You are, however, required to show documentary evidence that you have the funds available (in bank accounts or cashable investments), and that they can be transferred to Canada.

A port of entry officer in Canada may seek to confirm these funds before granting you permanent residence along with your dependants. (was in indirect form in this sentence only).

If you have arranged employment in Canada, you do not have to meet these financial requirements. Arranged employment means that you have an offer of indeterminate employment from an employer in Canada. You must be either currently working in that employment on a work permit in Canada, or have been issued a labour market opinion has must have been provided by the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC). In order to be exempt from the minimum funds requirement, the offer of employment must be genuine, the employment must not part-time or seasonal, the wages offered must be consistent with the prevailing wage rate for the occupation, and the working conditions must meet generally accepted Canadian standards.

We trust that this information will be of assistance.

ankit_20

VIP Member
Dec 7, 2009
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Qorax

Did you notice that it also mentions cashable investments in your name. Do you think it is safe to assume that Mutual funds which can be encashed in a day or two will hold as valid proof of investments.

Thanks
Ankit

CoolEJ

Star Member
Jul 28, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think yes. I used Time Deposit and it is fine.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ankit_20 said:
Dear Qorax

Did you notice that it also mentions cashable investments in your name. Do you think it is safe to assume that Mutual funds which can be encashed in a day or two will hold as valid proof of investments.

Thanks
Ankit
TD -yes, MF -I'm not sure, buddy.

calgirl

Nov 17, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7-5-09
Doc's Request.
6-7-09
Med's Request
28-10-09
Med's Done....
3-11-09
Passport Req..
28-10-09
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-09
LANDED..........
7-5-2010
nilsej said:
Dear Friends,

I was having some queries regarding settlement fund which we need to carry with us while landing and I email CHC New Delhi and they were very quick in reply and this is the reply I got which will help to answer many questions on this forum.

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is in response to your recent email enquiry to the Immigration Section of the Canadian High Commission in New Delhi.

The amount of funds you need to have in order to settle in Canada depends on the size of your family. The funds must be available to you and transferable to Canada. They must be unencumbered by debts or other obligations.

Number of family members
Funds required
$11,086
$13,801
$16,967
$20,599
$23,364
$26,350
7 or more
$29,337

-bank accounts in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;
-cashable investments in your name or the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner;
-cashable fixed deposits in your name of the name of your accompanying spouse/common-law partner.

Not acceptable are:
-bank accounts in someone else's name;
-bank accounts which are joint in your name and someone else (other than your accompanying spouse/common-law partner);
-bank accounts in the name of your spouse who is not accompanying you to Canada;
-property valuations;
-vehicle valuations;
-jewellery valuations.

You are not required to carry your funds in cash when you arrive in Canada. You are, however, required to show documentary evidence that you have the funds available (in bank accounts or cashable investments), and that they can be transferred to Canada.

A port of entry officer in Canada may seek to confirm these funds before granting you permanent residence along with your dependants. (was in indirect form in this sentence only).

If you have arranged employment in Canada, you do not have to meet these financial requirements. Arranged employment means that you have an offer of indeterminate employment from an employer in Canada. You must be either currently working in that employment on a work permit in Canada, or have been issued a labour market opinion has must have been provided by the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC). In order to be exempt from the minimum funds requirement, the offer of employment must be genuine, the employment must not part-time or seasonal, the wages offered must be consistent with the prevailing wage rate for the occupation, and the working conditions must meet generally accepted Canadian standards.

Part of my settlement fund was in my joint account with my mother in either or surviver basis. It worked fine in my case.

sigfrid101

Star Member
Nov 18, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Aug 27, 2010
Hi, pls enlighten me on some questions:

1. Should the funds be in specific currency/ies? (e.g. CAD, USD)

2. Would the POE officer require that funds should be deposited in an international bank (e.g. Citibank, HSBC, etc.) or would they also accept funds deposited in a local bank (from originating country)?

bahamas68

Oct 20, 2009
I have this question on settlement funds. I have a retirement fund from work that I can withdraw in cash if I leave the company. Is that an acceptable proof of fund? I would like to hear what a Senior member point of view on this also, along with the other members.

Thanks.

rocky272727

VIP Member
May 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nilsej said:
Dear Friends,

Dear Sir/Madam,

Number of family members
Funds required
$11,086
$13,801
$16,967
$20,599
$23,364
$26,350
7 or more
$29,337

Not acceptable are:
-bank accounts in someone else's name;
-property valuations;
-vehicle valuations;
-jewellery valuations.

Well ND has also mentioned it that funds in joint name apart from accompanying spouse will not be acceptable. Well I have funds in joint name with my parents and this has now raised my eye brows. What to do any suggestion. Check time line for more clarity on processing.

nilsej

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
For Clarification to many of you guys that this mail was answered in regards to my question of settlement fund we need to carry at the time landing so pls do not misunderstand with funds you need to show at the time of your final document submission.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
[quote author=rocky272727.msg200040#msg200040 date=1263275055]
Well ND has also mentioned it that funds in joint name apart from accompanying spouse will not be acceptable. Well I have funds in joint name with my parents and this has now raised my eye brows. What to do any suggestion. Check time line for more clarity on processing.
[/quote]

Dear rocky,

U may have to transfer some of it to your own a/c. CIC doesn't permit Joint A/cs with anyone except acompanying family members.

Regards.

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Dear rocky,

U may have to transfer some of it to your own a/c. CIC doesn't permit Joint A/cs with anyone except acompanying family members.

Regards.
i totally agree

satish_lkb

Nov 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-10-2009
Doc's Request.
16-12-2009
AOR Received.
26-01-2010
File Transfer...
16-12-2009
Med's Request
20-08-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
18-01-2011 Decision made 08-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-02-2011
LANDED..........
08-07-2011
Excellent info!!! Thanx for posting the mail from CHC!!!

Satish