uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
Hello there,

I have a question on the "flow" one must follow after getting PR through Express Entry program with provincial nomination. I want to ask this before I even create my Express Entry profile to be fully aware of all the possibilities and my obligations later in the process. I am not asking this in desire to dodge the rules and find the holes in the system, but rather to understand it and see what should be good time for me to consider applying for Express Entry.

Here's my current situation. I have completed IELTS and have all the documents I need to apply for Express Entry. I am keeping an eye on latest draws and seems like we have reached days where cutoff score is pretty high. My points are close, but not enough. I am also following provincial nominee program of province of interest and my score is way above minimal they are sending invitations to and my occupation qualifies for the nomination streams they have. So I am asking this under assumption that if I apply, I might easily end up with provincial nomination (let's just assume this happens).

Moving to Canada is plan my family and I have, but for private reasons, moving to Canada is not possible until maybe end of 2021, beginning of 2022. With that in mind, advice I am looking for is: Should I apply for Express Entry right now (will elaborate my thoughts on this option a bit more) or in couple of years until my IELTS score is still valid (and risk pretty much 10 points I am gonna be subtracted because being 2 years older at that time)?

What I am trying to find out is if there is any legal way to apply right now, get PR status and still, move to Canada in 2021/2022? How I was imagining this looks somehow like this: In case I get invitation to apply for PR, I have some deadline to actually do it. So if getting it beginning of 2020, I would need to complete the process maybe until summer 2020. I was thinking of actually doing that - finishing everything and going with my family to chosen province in Canada for indefinite time with purpose of finishing all the paper work we are obliged to. And then, after finishing that, move back to current country of residence and keep in mind that rule for keeping PR status which says that one should live in CA 2 in 5 years. And pretty much when private situation allows us (should be fine with the rule), move permanently to Canada. Is this legal and even possible?

Like said, I am asking this because I want to understand if this even exists as an option. My intention is not to abuse the system, I don't have any benefit from having Canadian papers outside of Canada nor I plan to use any of the benefits which possession of the PR status might bring. I have all that where I currently live, including job so any abuse of that kind is not the reason why I ask this. Simply, at this moment, seems to me that we have pretty good chance to get invited through Express Entry feat. Provincial Nomination program and if what I asked above is legal and something one can actually do, I would rather use the current moment when I have great IELTS score and "am still young" to apply rather than wait few years and risk losing points and chance to get the invitation at that time.

Of course, if what I described is illegal and should not be done, would be grateful to hear confirmation from someone who is knowledgeable on the topic because in that case I would simply wait few more years when we will be ready to move, submit my Express Entry profile at that time and hope for the best.

Many thanks in advance for any reply and advice.

Cheers

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
The process that you are talking about is called " Soft landing" . It is a legal thing to do and thousands of people do it.

You are right, do not loose 10 points because of your age, start the process now, get your PR in 8 to 12 months from now, travel to CA, finish your soft landing, get your PR card in your hands and relax in your home country. In the beginning of 2022 go back to Canada and settle down permanently.

All the best !!

Reactions: uerceg

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
@mona247 Awesome, thank you so much for prompt reply!

While on this topic, I have one more thing I fail to understand even though I am reading all the documentation I can possibly find.

If we assume I do this soft landing, the day I decide to move with my family to CA must be to the province which issued us the nomination, right? And if so, how long one must remain in that province before being allowed to move from it?

Reason I ask this is because even though we are pretty determined on the province we wanna move to (mostly driven by job availability for wife and me), was wondering what if daughters express desire to study in some other city outside of that province (because who knows, maybe schools and colleges are better in there)? So just trying to understand what would be the constraint in that aspect.

Probably irrelevant for time being, but just trying to anticipate as much as scenarios possible which might be affected by choice of province we make when creating Express Entry profile.

mona247

Sep 26, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
It all depends on the situation. Once you move to a particular province, you need to wait there until you receive your PR card.
Once you have the PR card in your hands your a free bird to go anywhere. In-case you apply for a Canadian citizenship after 3 to 4 years, then they might ask you why did you move provinces, if your answer is justified as education for daughter or better job for yourself and your spouse etc then nothing to worry about.

Reactions: uerceg

uerceg

Star Member
Nov 20, 2018
Berlin, Germany
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
@mona247 Many thanks for clearing these doubts for me! Changing province is not something I have in mind unless something out of ordinary forces us to reconsider, but was simply curious to hear what are the rules when it comes to that. Now that you have shared this "soft landing" term with me, read a bit about it and indeed, seems like it's a common practice for some people to do it. Amazing.

Thank you one more time and wish you all the best!

Reactions: mona247