+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

****SEPTEMBER 2017***** OUTLAND SPOUSAL SPONSORSHIP OUTSIDE OF CANADA

DSpartners

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I am posting here hoping to find a suggestion on how to proceed with spousal sponsorship in my situation.

So I got my COPR Visa valid till 17th June 2018 and I will mostly travel in April to finish my landing formalities.

My boyfriend and I are planning to get married sometime in the next couple of months and I want to include him in my application.

How soon can I include him in my application once we are married? Should I be having a job for sure to include him in my application? Or is it enough to show the proof of funds like we do for the single applicant? How much should we be showing as proof of funds? Please mention the set of documents I will need to include him. Also please guide regarding getting him a work permit through the same application.

Considering the fact that he is waiting for divorce papers from the court from his previous marriage, how soon can we marry so that the visa officer does not think it is a marriage out of convenience and what proofs do we need to show him to convince regarding the same?

Please suggest if there is anything else that we must consider.

Hoping someone would help with the info.

Thanks and Regards,
SD

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Have you been living with your boyfriend for over a year? If so, you may be considered common law and that will have an affect on your own application if he wasn't examined before you become a PR. Be careful with this. Note, that the relevant period is the day you become a PR, because you need to let the visa office know of any change in situation before that date. If you have been living together and are considered common law, he will have to undergo medical examinations and background checks before you land. Failure to do this will mean that you can never sponsor him, ever! Your own application status could also be revoked if it's found you misrepresented your relationship status.

Having a job will help, but as long as you can show that you won't be drawing any financial assistance (other than disability) from the government you should be fine.

For all the information on how to apply and the forms, it's really easy to look this up yourself on the IRCC website. Just look it up.

Don't know about the divorce question.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I am posting here hoping to find a suggestion on how to proceed with spousal sponsorship in my situation.

So I got my COPR Visa valid till 17th June 2018 and I will mostly travel in April to finish my landing formalities.

My boyfriend and I are planning to get married sometime in the next couple of months and I want to include him in my application.

How soon can I include him in my application once we are married? Should I be having a job for sure to include him in my application? Or is it enough to show the proof of funds like we do for the single applicant? How much should we be showing as proof of funds? Please mention the set of documents I will need to include him. Also please guide regarding getting him a work permit through the same application.

Considering the fact that he is waiting for divorce papers from the court from his previous marriage, how soon can we marry so that the visa officer does not think it is a marriage out of convenience and what proofs do we need to show him to convince regarding the same?

Please suggest if there is anything else that we must consider.

Hoping someone would help with the info.

Thanks and Regards,
SD
If you want to get married before your landing, then don't land with the COPR you have gotten. You have to inform CIC regarding your material status change and CIC will require you to update your form to list your future husband as either accompanying family member or non-accompanying family member. Then CIC will require your future husband to submit PCC and Medical, and CIC will also conduct review on eligibility, security and background check on your future husband, no matter he will come with you or not. If everything works out, then CIC will reissue a new COPR to you and your husband (If he will land with you) for landing.

The other way is you land as a single, then get married to sponsor your husband. You can start the sponsorship as soon as you got married. You don't have to have a job to sponsor your husband, but be prepared that CIC may ask you for proof(s) that you can support yourselves financially. Usually $10,000 or a bit more should be enough. For getting a work permit, your husband has to be physically in Canada and you file an inland sponsorship, otherwise, there isn't an option for work permit. Regarding the marriage of convenience, the sooner you file sponsorship for your husband, after his divorcing, the worst it will look like. But it still depends on a lot other factors, such as which country your husband comes from, how many solid evidences you have to prove your relationship is genuine, and etc. Nobody here can tell you for certain how CIC would think of your current marriage though.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Does anyone know how long the background check usually takes?
It really depends. It could be couple weeks or it could be as long as CIC deemed as necessary. Also, the background checks also depends on the other side of the bureaucrat agencies that CIC/VO sent the inquiries to. If the other side of the bureaucrat agencies acting very slow to sent whatever the documents/info back to CIC/VO, then it will take longer to conduct a background check.

DSpartners

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
If you want to get married before your landing, then don't land with the COPR you have gotten. You have to inform CIC regarding your material status change and CIC will require you to update your form to list your future husband as either accompanying family member or non-accompanying family member. Then CIC will require your future husband to submit PCC and Medical, and CIC will also conduct review on eligibility, security and background check on your future husband, no matter he will come with you or not. If everything works out, then CIC will reissue a new COPR to you and your husband (If he will land with you) for landing.

The other way is you land as a single, then get married to sponsor your husband. You can start the sponsorship as soon as you got married. You don't have to have a job to sponsor your husband, but be prepared that CIC may ask you for proof(s) that you can support yourselves financially. Usually $10,000 or a bit more should be enough. For getting a work permit, your husband has to be physically in Canada and you file an inland sponsorship, otherwise, there isn't an option for work permit. Regarding the marriage of convenience, the sooner you file sponsorship for your husband, after his divorcing, the worst it will look like. But it still depends on a lot other factors, such as which country your husband comes from, how many solid evidences you have to prove your relationship is genuine, and etc. Nobody here can tell you for certain how CIC would think of your current marriage though.
Hello Miraclejj,

Thank you very much for your reply informing the possibilities and actions considering two situations.

We are planning to get married after I finish my landing (I will comeback to India in a couple of weeks or months, get married and go back. If possible, along with him on a TRV.)

Another query I have is, do I have to wait for my PR card to arrive for including in the application, or can I do it as soon as I get married to him?

Regarding the inland sponsorship, I have read that it generally takes a lot of time. So I thought I will do it in the outland process while he is here in India.

So I have around $12000 that I am showing as proof of funds for me. His parents will transfer him the additional amount required for his sponsorship. Will that be ok? Or does it have to be in my bank account only?

And once he gets the PR under sponsorship, can we not apply for a work permit for him after he lands in Canada? Because he would want to work too when he comes.

Considering the lines above, please suggest the best way to get him included in the application and get him a work permit.

Thanks & Regards
SD

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hello Miraclejj,

Thank you very much for your reply informing the possibilities and actions considering two situations.

We are planning to get married after I finish my landing (I will comeback to India in a couple of weeks or months, get married and go back. If possible, along with him on a TRV.)

Another query I have is, do I have to wait for my PR card to arrive for including in the application, or can I do it as soon as I get married to him?

Regarding the inland sponsorship, I have read that it generally takes a lot of time. So I thought I will do it in the outland process while he is here in India.

So I have around $12000 that I am showing as proof of funds for me. His parents will transfer him the additional amount required for his sponsorship. Will that be ok? Or does it have to be in my bank account only?

And once he gets the PR under sponsorship, can we not apply for a work permit for him after he lands in Canada? Because he would want to work too when he comes.

Considering the lines above, please suggest the best way to get him included in the application and get him a work permit.

Thanks & Regards
SD
No, you don't have to wait for PR card coming to initiate the sponsorship, you can file it right the way, after you guys married. But it shouldn't be the question, because you probably need to wait for your PR card anyway (2 - 3 months, after landing), before you travel back to India. Currently, inland process is about the same as outland, CIC is targeting to process 80% of all cases within 12 months, but no guarantee. If you want to file an inland application, you husband has to be physically in Canada, so if he doesn't have TRV yet, he needs to apply for one now, because after you guys are married, it will be very difficult for him to get a TRV. The money part is ok, and it doesn't need to be all in your account. Once he is approved and landed as a PR, he can legally work in Canada immediately, he doesn't need to apply a work permit as a PR.

On a side note, when you prepare your application, don't be rush, do some research and your home work. Get as many evidences as possible. It is way better to delay filing your application for couple months than getting into trouble with CIC, then risking your application to be denied and wasting couple years for appealing. And the most important thing is never ever lie or hide anything in your application.

Reactions: canuser

THESixTO

Jan 23, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
9-18-2018
Doc's Request.
11-8-2018
AOR Received.
11-2-2018
File Transfer...
1-9-2018
Med's Request
11-7-2018
Med's Done....
11-30-2018
Finally Received communication today

Application Sent 18-Sep
Started processing Application 31-Oct
confirmation Letter of Application Receitp 2-Nov
Linked on ECAS and MyCIC 5-Nov
Medical EXAM request 7-Nov
Schedule A Requested and Police Certificate Request 8-Nov
Schedule A Submitted 30-Nov
Police Certificate Submitted 30-Nov
Additional Form Request 19-Dec
Additional Form Submitted 19-Dec
Medical Exam Passed Not sure when it changed
Application Transfer sponsor email 9-Jan
Application Received Applicant Email :Mexico Visa Office 22-Feb

DSpartners

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
No, you don't have to wait for PR card coming to initiate the sponsorship, you can file it right the way, after you guys married. But it shouldn't be the question, because you probably need to wait for your PR card anyway (2 - 3 months, after landing), before you travel back to India. Currently, inland process is about the same as outland, CIC is targeting to process 80% of all cases within 12 months, but no guarantee. If you want to file an inland application, you husband has to be physically in Canada, so if he doesn't have TRV yet, he needs to apply for one now, because after you guys are married, it will be very difficult for him to get a TRV. The money part is ok, and it doesn't need to be all in your account. Once he is approved and landed as a PR, he can legally work in Canada immediately, he doesn't need to apply a work permit as a PR.

On a side note, when you prepare your application, don't be rush, do some research and your home work. Get as many evidences as possible. It is way better to delay filing your application for couple months than getting into trouble with CIC, then risking your application to be denied and wasting couple years for appealing. And the most important thing is never ever lie or hide anything in your application.
Thank you very much Miraclejj, Clears up a lot of doubts on my head.

So I'll get my PR card, come and then we'll get married then.

I will consider taking the time and proceed when I think I have everything needed.

So is it ok once his parents transfer the amount to his account through a gift deed and we can show both our account statements?

And can he search for a job while he is on his TRV?

Thanks & Regards,
SD

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Thank you very much Miraclejj, Clears up a lot of doubts on my head.

So I'll get my PR card, come and then we'll get married then.

I will consider taking the time and proceed when I think I have everything needed.

So is it ok once his parents transfer the amount to his account through a gift deed and we can show both our account statements?

And can he search for a job while he is on his TRV?

Thanks & Regards,
SD
He can search for a job on his TRV, but what is the point of it? He cannot work as a TRV holder. If he can get a TRV and come to Canada, you need to file an inland application with open work permit, and after the open work permit approved (4 months), then he can work. With an outland application, there isn't an option to apply an open work permit.