+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending PR card outside Canada

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
smk_ujs said:
When they ask at Fedex or DHL what we are sending, what should we say?

pr cards or just say personal documents?
PR cards is a type of document.

atifamr

Star Member
Oct 13, 2010
Good Day!

Gentlemen,

Although I can see the thread but posts are a bit old; I will be immigrating to canada & comming back after 2 weeks while my PR cards will be brought back by my brother travelling to pakistan later.
Is it OK!

Will there be any issues if I re-arrive canada after 2 years again having PR cards with me; will they object that how did have the PR cards with me as they have record available with them.

Please help

Regards

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
atifamr said:
Although I can see the thread but posts are a bit old; I will be immigrating to canada & comming back after 2 weeks while my PR cards will be brought back by my brother travelling to pakistan later.
Is it OK!
Yes it's ok.

Will there be any issues if I re-arrive canada after 2 years again having PR cards with me; will they object that how did have the PR cards with me as they have record available with them.
There will be no issues as long as you meet residency obligation, so don't stay outside Canada for longer than 3 years.

Gr8AmirM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
Hi friends
While I really appreciate for detailed answers over this topic, I just want to know if all previous answers are valid considering 2016 PR cards, which will be issued as RF ID Cards??

I have read that for 2016 they are providing RFID PR Cards. These cards transmit information to be read by boarder police's systems. I am concerning if I send this card by some one, is it possible it could be siezed while at airport security/immigration checks??
They write on their website as

"When a PR is moving through a land border crossing, an RFID-enabled PR card is securely and accurately read by readers. As the RFID chip is read, the unique identifier is transmitted to a secure database and acts as the key to authorize the return of the traveller’s biographical information from the database. The information is displayed to the Border Service Officer as the vehicle pulls up to the inspection booth.

The installation of RFID chip readers at land border crossings is scheduled to begin in 2016."

Plz respond fast....I have my job in back home...need to join or resign...few days left for decision :(
Many thanks in advance!!

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gr8AmirM said:
I have read that for 2016 they are providing RFID PR Cards.
Yep, they are. They have been expanding their readers as well, to all lanes instead of just NEXUS.

These cards transmit information to be read by boarder police's systems.
Sort-of. They are passive, which means they only broadcast when they receive a signal, and they use the power from that signal to respond.

I am concerning if I send this card by some one, is it possible it could be siezed while at airport security/immigration checks??
No. It's a very short read range, and it's not illegal to have someone else's card. It's a little odd, but as long as there is a valid explanation and no intent to use it fraudulantly, Canada doesn't have an issue with it.

If it's in a wallet or something, it's not going to get picked up. Antennas are 20+cm square, and only read from a few feet.

Jamaican_Chinese

Oct 27, 2015
Kingston, Jamaica
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
December 14, 2015
Nomination.....
January 6, 2016
AOR Received.
January 30, 2016
Med's Done....
January 20, 2016
Passport Req..
March 4, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
March 23, 2016
LANDED..........
July 14, 2016
I see reference to border (land) crossing. Would this be the same as someone taking my card for me through the airport?

cyt0plas said:
Yep, they are. They have been expanding their readers as well, to all lanes instead of just NEXUS.

Sort-of. They are passive, which means they only broadcast when they receive a signal, and they use the power from that signal to respond.

No. It's a very short read range, and it's not illegal to have someone else's card. It's a little odd, but as long as there is a valid explanation and no intent to use it fraudulantly, Canada doesn't have an issue with it.

If it's in a wallet or something, it's not going to get picked up. Antennas are 20+cm square, and only read from a few feet.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Jamaican_Chinese said:
I see reference to border (land) crossing. Would this be the same as someone taking my card for me through the airport?
reading the article it refers only entering Canada via a land border not departing Canada which would assume is same as departing by air. Plus the article does not refer to the process being implemented at airports but only land crossings through 2016. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2015-11-25.asp

Very easy to overthink these things as some covert government operation monitoring someones every move through a PR card passing through an airport, maybe RFID PR card scanners in the duty free ?

If in doubt send friend an email or letter saying they are authorised to be bringing your PR card to you in the unlikely event any issues if it makes you happier.

I expect in reality friends/family members secure mail PR cards overseas all the time, just a bit of a hassle if go astray if the receiving country has a less than reliable postal service. After all who is to say Canada post are not prone to losing domestic mail ?

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Jamaican_Chinese said:
They have a short read range. The antennas are obvious. They won't be read at the airport, unless they are handed to the officers.