+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passport to CIC Ottawa

boxi29

Feb 2, 2009
We need to send our passport to Canada. I have some question about sending passport ( We are in US right now)

1. We can send via Fedex/UPS/USPS --Correct?

2. For return envelope we must print shipping label from http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/tools/cst/intro-e.asp--Correct?

While printing we have to give some information in Ship From Address:-

What do we need to put for First name and last name?

3. If we want our passport back at our US address can't we use our services like DHL?

Thanks a lot for all of your help

--BOXI

chappan

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Hello,

1. Yes, you can send via any shipping company but I would use FedEx. Having used FedEx for many years, I personally trust them the most. I got my processing done through a law firm in Canada and I sent my passports to them via FedEx. No issues at all. And yeah, I also lived in the US when I sent my passports to Canada.

2. You don't have to use Canada Post unless that's what the requirement is. While creating shipping label on FedEx website to send your passports, you can also create a post dated return label. You'll just have to change 'To' and 'From' fields and you are done. You can also go to any of the FedEx Kinko's for shipping labels but you'll have to fill out shipping form manually (using a pen). Any of the employees there will be able to help you though, should you have any questions. For the post date on return shipping label, you can choose any random date (2 months from the date of shipping, for example). It doesn't matter though as your return label will only become effective and you will only be charged once CIC returns your passport and FedEx scans your return shipping label. Make sure you include shipping box or envelope too along with return shipping label. Also, call FedEx and ask them if any other paperwork may also be required. Even though passports have no commercial value, a commercial invoice with zero value may still be required. People at Canadian border are very strict about paper work. If proper paper work is not included, your passport will get stuck at the customs. If FedEx tells you that no additional paper work is required, ask them to double check and tell them that one of your friends was asked to send commercial invoice with zero value because his passport got stuck at Canadian customs and then they will look into it carefully. A lot of FedEx employees are not aware of this important requirement so challenge them if they tell you otherwise. It's not just FedEx, you'll run into the same challenge with UPS or any other shipping company too but FedEx goes above and beyond to help their customers if there is any problem.

3. You can put "Citizenship & Immigration Canada" in both company name and contact name fields. If you could share the complete address you have to send package to, I can tell you more specifically. For the return label, obviously you'll put your own first name and last name.

4. Yes, you can use any service. I would avoid DHL though as they have a very bad reputation. Use FedEx or UPS. As I stated above, I personally like FedEx. But choice is yours.

Good luck!!

Reactions: bkbk8

chappan

Star Member
May 30, 2012
I would also like to add that don't look at how much it will cost you to ship your passports. This is a one time thing, if you find FedEx or UPS to be expensive then don't worry about it. Their service is top notch. I would definitely NOT use USPS. Again, this is based on my own personal experience. I have or had no association with any of these companies. Take care!!

boxi29

Feb 2, 2009
Hi all,

This is what CIC email says. It seems for return you can't use any other courier like Fedex, UPS. You need to use Xpresspost envelope or a pre-paid Canada Post shipping label

If you have a mailing address in the United States: To allow you to track your passports through the mail, we strongly recommend that you purchase a pre-paid shipping label from Canada Post and include it with your passports and a copy of this letter. Follow the link to purchase your shipping label:
http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/tools/cst/intro-e.asp
If you do not submit a return prepaid Xpresspost envelope or a pre-paid Canada Post shipping label, or if you provide an envelope from any other courier, we will return your passport by regular mail.

--BOXI

chappan

Star Member
May 30, 2012
That's a shame that they don't allow any other company other than Canada Post. Anyway, if that's the only option then go ahead and use Canada Post for return shipment.

gadaakhil

Nov 15, 2018
Hi all,

This is what CIC email says. It seems for return you can't use any other courier like Fedex, UPS. You need to use Xpresspost envelope or a pre-paid Canada Post shipping label

If you have a mailing address in the United States: To allow you to track your passports through the mail, we strongly recommend that you purchase a pre-paid shipping label from Canada Post and include it with your passports and a copy of this letter. Follow the link to purchase your shipping label:
http://www.canadapost.ca/personal/tools/cst/intro-e.asp
If you do not submit a return prepaid Xpresspost envelope or a pre-paid Canada Post shipping label, or if you provide an envelope from any other courier, we will return your passport by regular mail.

--BOXI
That's only if the return address is in Canada. Looks like your post is old and that was only the case during 2014. Following is mentioned in the email that I received for visa stamping in case if the return address is in US - "The Self-Addressed pre-paid envelope should be arranged with a courier that delivers between Canada and the U.S.A".

gopukular

Aug 24, 2019
Hello,

1. Yes, you can send via any shipping company but I would use FedEx. Having used FedEx for many years, I personally trust them the most. I got my processing done through a law firm in Canada and I sent my passports to them via FedEx. No issues at all. And yeah, I also lived in the US when I sent my passports to Canada.

2. You don't have to use Canada Post unless that's what the requirement is. While creating shipping label on FedEx website to send your passports, you can also create a post dated return label. You'll just have to change 'To' and 'From' fields and you are done. You can also go to any of the FedEx Kinko's for shipping labels but you'll have to fill out shipping form manually (using a pen). Any of the employees there will be able to help you though, should you have any questions. For the post date on return shipping label, you can choose any random date (2 months from the date of shipping, for example). It doesn't matter though as your return label will only become effective and you will only be charged once CIC returns your passport and FedEx scans your return shipping label. Make sure you include shipping box or envelope too along with return shipping label. Also, call FedEx and ask them if any other paperwork may also be required. Even though passports have no commercial value, a commercial invoice with zero value may still be required. People at Canadian border are very strict about paper work. If proper paper work is not included, your passport will get stuck at the customs. If FedEx tells you that no additional paper work is required, ask them to double check and tell them that one of your friends was asked to send commercial invoice with zero value because his passport got stuck at Canadian customs and then they will look into it carefully. A lot of FedEx employees are not aware of this important requirement so challenge them if they tell you otherwise. It's not just FedEx, you'll run into the same challenge with UPS or any other shipping company too but FedEx goes above and beyond to help their customers if there is any problem.

3. You can put "Citizenship & Immigration Canada" in both company name and contact name fields. If you could share the complete address you have to send package to, I can tell you more specifically. For the return label, obviously you'll put your own first name and last name.

4. Yes, you can use any service. I would avoid DHL though as they have a very bad reputation. Use FedEx or UPS. As I stated above, I personally like FedEx. But choice is yours.

Good luck!!
Hi ,

I have sent my passport to Ottawa office via FED Ex a week ago. The next day I got a status update that my passport was delivered. I had included
return envelope in the main packet but I am afraid that I have not followed the correct process to create the return shipment.
I got to know that there is a different tab on FED ex site to create a return shipment .However, I did not use that tab .I followed the normal process to create the shipment and I think that is why no return label was generated. I have included the right address in FROM and TO tab but I am not sure whether CIC will be able to ship passport. Please advice what should I do in this scenario.