+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending Indian Passport outside the country of residence!!!

singh123

Apr 24, 2009
Dear All

I am starting a new thread on the issue of "sending an Indian passport outside your country of residence".

I am aware that one can not send an Indian passport by post/courier out of your country of residence, it is ILLEGAL. There is a word of caution in the passport which reads," Passport should not be sent out of any country by post. It should be in custody either of the holder or of a person authorised by the holder."

I happened to visit a Consulate General of India in a western country and what I read on the notice board I am sharing it with you. The notice read that the Ministry of External Affairs has taken a strong notice of people sending their Indian passports out of their country of residence and should any such case be detected the passport will be revoked and penalities imposed. The logic for the same was that it amounts of getting a visa in "absentia".

Now :1)one thing is crystal clear that you can not send an Indian passport out of the country of residence by post/courier.
2) what about sending it out side the country of residence by a authorised person? But even in this scenario it would amounts to getting a visa in "absentia", (what ever that means) as per the notice I have quoted above.

There will be hundreds if not thousands of Indian applicants for PR who are facing this dilemma. Many threads were active a couple of months ago on this issue but no one probably came back with first hand information on the issue or how they overcame this problem. Could I please invite all members to put in what ever information they have to help and sort out this issue. Your inputs will help many applicants who are abroad and have their cases being processed in home country or have applied abroad and are now in home country.

Regards

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
I do not have personal experience on this, but I do know that you can authorize someone else to carry your passport and have visa affixed by Canadian embassy or Consulate, you need to write a letter to authorize that person to get the visa for you. (this is in the case if the person is able to travel to that country and willing to do the job for you). The only thing is when they call for an interview and you cannot go....

singh123

Apr 24, 2009
Dear NewYorker

Thank you for sharing your experience. Your help is much appreciated. Could you kindly let me know:

1) whether you used a self drafted letter of authorisation or did you use the services of a notary public.

2) did the immigration/security see your letter of authorisation and passport (when being carried out of your country of residence) or the matter did not come up at all. I mean does one have to disclose that he/she is carrying someone else's passport and authorisation letter.

Thank you once again for your prompt reply.

The onus of sending the passport to the CHC is on the applicant. This is interesting that while you can take medical at any DMP in the world when it comes to stamping of passport for visa (and interview) you have to send your passport by secure mail/post to the CHC post of application. Now here lies the problem. If you are holding an Indian passport and happen to be abroad then how to get the passport to CHC office in India (or visa-versa i.e. you applied from abroad and now in India).

One option (and the last) is that you go to India for passport stamping, send the passport by secure post and wait for 1 to 2 or even 3 months for the passport to come back with visa. CHC New Delhi does not entertain personal submission and collection of passport. But this is very risky considering that if you are abroad no employer will give you 2-3 months holidays to go and get your job done. Even when CHC asks for passports for stamping they say request for passport does not mean a gaurantee of visa and is subject to final assesment etc. (whatever that means).

Any views on this issue are welcome.

Regards.

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
singh123,

i may be affected by your situation soon. I'll watch this board closely.

thanks...

singh123

Apr 24, 2009
NewYorker said:
I do not have personal experience on this, but I do know that you can authorize someone else to carry your passport and have visa affixed by Canadian embassy or Consulate, you need to write a letter to authorize that person to get the visa for you. (this is in the case if the person is able to travel to that country and willing to do the job for you). The only thing is when they call for an interview and you cannot go....
Dear New Yorker

Many thanks for your response. Please ignore the two questions I put to you wrongly assuming that you had a personal experience on the issue. My apologies.

Regards

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Singh,

I can only guess that you do need to have a letter notarized so there are no ifs or buts and yes the CIC will see it actually there is a procedure for it on their website and I am not sure what is the link. But the answer is yes this is doable.

singh123

Apr 24, 2009
Dear NewYorker

Thanks for your reply. I will try and go through to website of CIC to see if I can find any information on this subject matter. Should you come across anything worth mention please post on this thread. Your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Regards

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
singh123 said:
Dear NewYorker

Thanks for your reply. I will try and go through to website of CIC to see if I can find any information on this subject matter. Should you come across anything worth mention please post on this thread. Your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Regards
I know for sure when you receive a passport request, it says on the letter that if you are appointing someone then send a authorization letter with that person.

Look at this link for PPR letter and read at the end "Note"

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t20427.0.html

That means you can do it, now the question is what kind of letter they want, so you can ask CIC directly or may be ask PMM, he knows almost everything.

singh123

Apr 24, 2009
Dear PMM and Senior Members

I have started a thread, "Sending Indian passport outside the country of residence!!!!"
I am eagerly awaiting your kind attention and views/advice on this matter. Your help is much appreciated. Many thanks.
Regards

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010

singh123

Apr 24, 2009
I think the correct position on the situation can be either addressed to Indian Mission and/or Ministry of External Affairs or preferably to both. This is possible should an immigration representative or legal cousel for a client put a letter for clarification on the issue. I call upon any immgration applicant who is facing or is likely to face a similar situation in the near future to take up the matter with his/her immigration consultant/lawyer. This way the identity of the applicant is kept discreet and an authoritative answer to this complex situation can be found once and for all clearing the clouds of uncertainity, and would benefit a sea of applicants.

Any volunteers who have applied through immigration consultant/lawyers please get back on this post.

Regards

mokshagj15

Star Member
Apr 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HI singh,
Ankur here.
I am i similar situation like you!
I am ona student visa to Australia!
I have to apply to Local CHC in ND,India.
Now my Question is how will I send my apssport to CHC,ND when Ill be asked to submit!
How can I send it to CHC,ND from Australia?
And mean while if Ill require passport then what will I do?
Its tricky ,
Please guiide me,
Ankur