+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-employment and the 20hrs rule for an artist.

May 1, 2023
Hey guys.
I was recently approved for a study permit and intend to travel in late August. I can of course get a normal job while I'm in Canada to help with living expenses but I'm a creative at heart. I've published a couple of short fiction and have instagram pages for my art and photography. If I decide to make a living selling art etc. how would the twelve hour a week rule work?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys.
I was recently approved for a study permit and intend to travel in late August. I can of course get a normal job while I'm in Canada to help with living expenses but I'm a creative at heart. I've published a couple of short fiction and have instagram pages for my art and photography. If I decide to make a living selling art etc. how would the twelve hour a week rule work?
Would suggest keeping a detailed log of when you worked and what work you did everyday. Being self-employed requires many other steps versus having an employer where you show up and you are given a tax slip at the end of the year.

May 1, 2023
Would suggest keeping a detailed log of when you worked and what work you did everyday. Being self-employed requires many other steps versus having an employer where you show up and you are given a tax slip at the end of the year.
Thank you. I guess I'll do some more research.