+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self employer in Canada

AgustinCB

Nov 17, 2015
Hello,

Currently, I work as a self employed software developer over Internet. I have a set of regular clients, mostly in USA. I want to move to Canada and keep doing the same.

I thought, at the beginning, going with the working holiday visa. However, I'm Spanish and currently live in Ireland, so I can't apply to that (since I'm not in my country).

What other options do I have?

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The working holiday visa was really your best bet. But you're right - you don't qualify.

Another option would be moving here on a closed work permit. But in order to do that, you would have to find an employer in Canada willing to give you a full time job and who can also obtain an approved LMIA. This doesn't in any way fit with your plans of continuing your self employment work as a developer.

One other option would be to apply to immigrate (if you qualify) through a Canadian immigration program like Federal Skilled Worker/Express Entry or through one of the Provincial Nomination immigration programs. You'll have to research these programs to understand what it takes to qualify to apply through each and if you meet the criteria.

Unfortunately nothing else jumps out as a real option.

Good luck.