+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self employed temporary resident, doesn't have PR status, work permit options

HeythereMC

Feb 8, 2015
Hi,

I am an American and own a small graphic design studio that's operated in the USA. This year, I moved to Canada when my now husband (we got married and have begun the process of filling out PR paperwork, but I do not have PR status yet) and have a few questions about legal do's and don't's regarding my business + what to do with my income + taxes + benefits.

I have income in both the USA and Canada (FT 4 months, with a NAFTA work visa) granted through 1 Canadian client. I have a few additional opportunities available to me for short term contracts. How can I expand my business in Canada legally?

What work visa options are available to self employed temporary residents?

Thank you so much for any help on this issue!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your options are a bit limited for self employment. You either need to wait until you have PR or until you have an open work permit.

As an American, you're FAR better of applying using the outland rather than inland process (hopefully you're applying outland, if not, you should very serious reconsider if you don't want to end up hating your life).

Unfortunately no open work permit comes with the outland process. So assuming you've applied outland, waiting for PR is really your only option.