+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

seeking asylum after a tourist visa was denied to enter canada

mingota19

Aug 16, 2017
hello a friend of mine was denied a tourist visa to canada last year. now she is planning on seeking asylum in USA-Canada Border in buffalo .her mother is in canada and she is a Canadian citizen.. will that prior visa refusal be a concern in terms of her being accepted as a refugee?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
No it will not be a problem, as long as she has US visa she can claim asylum at land border since her mother is living in Canada.

If her asylum claim has a chance of succeeding, is a different matter that will depend on her specific reasons for fleeing her home country.

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Personally, I don't think the answer has changed much in the last week or two from the previous answers. If she hasn't got a US visa, remember that Canada and the US share all the information about visa's with each other, so the US will know she has been denied a visa to Canada, and why. If she's still planning on domestic violence as a basis of claim, she should be prepared for a short stay in Canada.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/seeking-refugee-under-domestic-violence-grounds.512306/
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/my-friend-wants-to-seek-refugee-in-canada.514074/

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
but she was already granted a USA tourist visa
That's fine, as mentioned she is allowed to claim asylum at the border.

However since her refugee claim is probably not a valid one, she should prepare for likely scenario it will eventually be rejected and she'll be deported back to home country. However she can remain in Canada until a final decision is reached.

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
hello a friend of mine was denied a tourist visa to canada last year. now she is planning on seeking asylum in USA-Canada Border in buffalo .her mother is in canada and she is a Canadian citizen.. will that prior visa refusal be a concern in terms of her being accepted as a refugee?
Yes she can apply in refugee category at buffalo boarder. Previous visa refusal is not a problem. Make sure she knows all the information she put on her previous visa application, coz they might ask her about previous application. Remember in the boarder when the officer take interview , everything will be recorded and presented to IRB as an evidence. So make sure she has all the proof to be granted as a refugee.