+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Section 12 - Tax Filing

tejasmhaskar

Nov 15, 2015
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
12-10-2018
I just noticed that under section 12, I filled out the information for 4 tax years - 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. Will my application be returned because of this?
The reason i did this was two-fold - 1. I became a permanent resident on 19 Dec 2016 (i was not in canada before that) and 2. I filed my taxes for 2016-2019.

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
I just noticed that under section 12, I filled out the information for 4 tax years - 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. Will my application be returned because of this?
The reason i did this was two-fold - 1. I became a permanent resident on 19 Dec 2016 (i was not in canada before that) and 2. I filed my taxes for 2016-2019.
Hi,
If you were not residing in Canada before 2016, then you don't have to worry about filling in the tax details before that.
All the best with the processing.
Take care.

NMontD

Nov 30, 2016
Dear Friends, I need your guidance.

I have applied for citizenship application as a family and applied for all 4 of us (Self, Spouse, and 2 kids) together and sent in one envelope with fee receipt for all 4 us . The application was reached Sydney on 12-July. I suddenly realized that on my spouse application after checking softcopy that didn't entered Tax years for Question 12 b. All i did is selected "Required to file" and "Tax filed" as "Yes". but left "Tax Year" as blank. Please note that my spouse was in Canada for all 5 years(2015-2019) and filed the taxes.

I have entered 12 a) by providing her SIN number and for question 12 c) answered "yes".

Please let me what should i do now.

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015

I have applied for citizenship application as a family and applied for all 4 of us (Self, Spouse, and 2 kids) together and sent in one envelope with fee receipt for all 4 us . The application was reached Sydney on 12-July. I suddenly realized that on my spouse application after checking softcopy that didn't entered Tax years for Question 12 b. All i did is selected "Required to file" and "Tax filed" as "Yes". but left "Tax Year" as blank. Please note that my spouse was in Canada for all 5 years(2015-2019) and filed the taxes.

I have entered 12 a) by providing her SIN number and for question 12 c) answered "yes".

They will most probably return your application as incomplete. Either you can wait for your application to get back and then resubmit it or you can make a complete new application for your wife and submit it and attach a LOE with reason.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

why there is a problem in 12a and 12c?

They will most probably return your application as incomplete. Either you can wait for your application to get back and then resubmit it or you can make a complete new application for your wife and submit it and attach a LOE with reason.
As they are returning the whole package, its better to send whole package with the letter of explanation.

NMontD

Nov 30, 2016
Thanks, Rafzy for the quick response. Are they going to return all 4 of our applications or only for my spouse. Also, i searched the sections with the keyword"return" and didn't found a statement for this where they will return the application. Where as for 11 it has.

Secondly, do i need to attach the same consolidated receipt of all 4 of us correct ?

"
Do not leave any gaps during this period and do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you.

a.If you have one, provide the 9-digit number for your
b. In the chart, tell us about your income tax filing for the last 5 years.
  • Under the Required to file column
  • Under the Taxes filedcolumn
    • check “Yes” if you filed a tax return that year
    • check “No” if you didn’t file a tax return that year
c. Check “Yes” to authorize the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to provide details of your tax filing information (including income, benefit and residence information) to IRCC.
By checking “Yes” you’re also authorizing us to collect your tax filing information from the CRA to help
  • determine if you meet the income tax and physical presence requirements for citizenship
  • examine your tax information in activities to support quality assurance and integrity in the citizenship program
  1. Subsection 8(1) of the Privacy Act and paragraph 241(5)(b) of the Income Tax Act allows the CRA to provide personal information to IRCC, with the consent of the relevant individuals. This consent is required under paragraph 2(1)(e) of the Citizenship Regulations, No. 2.

"

NMontD

Nov 30, 2016
why there is a problem in 12a and 12c?

As they are returning the whole package, its better to send whole package with the letter of explanation.

@harirajmohan, There was no problem in 12 a) and c). I have entered SIN details and also entered the "Yes" for 12 C.

12 b) All i did is selected "Required to file" and "Tax filed" as "Yes". but left "Tax Year" as blank. for all 5 rows

Do you think they will exclude based on SIN number and also i gave authorization to check with CRA where they have all the information. Also my application has the right details

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks, Rafzy for the quick response. Are they going to return all 4 of our applications or only for my spouse. Also, i searched the sections with the keyword"return" and didn't found a statement for this where they will return the application. Where as for 11 it has.

Secondly, do i need to attach the same consolidated receipt of all 4 of us correct ?

"
Do not leave any gaps during this period and do not leave this section blank. If you do, your application will be returned to you.

a.If you have one, provide the 9-digit number for your
b. In the chart, tell us about your income tax filing for the last 5 years.
  • Under the Required to file column
  • Under the Taxes filedcolumn
    • check “Yes” if you filed a tax return that year
    • check “No” if you didn’t file a tax return that year
c. Check “Yes” to authorize the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to provide details of your tax filing information (including income, benefit and residence information) to IRCC.
By checking “Yes” you’re also authorizing us to collect your tax filing information from the CRA to help
  • determine if you meet the income tax and physical presence requirements for citizenship
  • examine your tax information in activities to support quality assurance and integrity in the citizenship program
  1. Subsection 8(1) of the Privacy Act and paragraph 241(5)(b) of the Income Tax Act allows the CRA to provide personal information to IRCC, with the consent of the relevant individuals. This consent is required under paragraph 2(1)(e) of the Citizenship Regulations, No. 2.

"
Yes. They will send all 4 back as you applied as family with single payment receipt. Your family members applications will be tagged as complete but your wife will be marked as incomplete.
Also, you can use same payment receipt if you are sending for all 4.

NMontD

Nov 30, 2016
Thanks @rafzy. However, I still have some doubts.

When you are saying they will send all 4 of our applications back and will tag 3 of us as completed, Does that means we 3 will get the AOR ? and for the spouse as incomplete her application has to be resubmitted with a new physical calculator ?

Do i need to refill the application for 3 of us and submit along with my spouse ? or only need to fill her application?. I have also sent them a webform to get the answer.

Thanks

Last edited:

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Thanks @rafzy. However, I still have some doubts.

When you are saying they will send all 4 of our applications back and will tag 3 of us as completed, Does that means we 3 will get the AOR ? and for the spouse as incomplete her application has to be resubmitted with a new physical calculator ?

Do i need to refill the application for 3 of us and submit along with my spouse ? or only need to fill her application?. I have also sent them a webform to get the answer.

Thanks
It means that you 3 wont have to do anything except sending your applications back in same package.
Yes because for her application, it will be more than 90 days and you need to revise physical presence calculator along with application form with new dates and signatures along with incomplete IRCC letter on top so they know that which application to check again.

NMontD

Nov 30, 2016
Thanks, @rafzy for detailing it out. Do you happen to know if they will consider it a fresh application or process in a different way?

I have also filled a web form and asked for their advice as well. My app was reached on 12-July-2020.. When tentatively i should expect the response

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks, @rafzy for detailing it out. Do you happen to know if they will consider it a fresh application or process in a different way?

I have also filled a web form and asked for their advice as well. My app was reached on 12-July-2020.. When tentatively i should expect the response
No one knows.

They cant trace the paper packages hence they cant even give you any response as they are sending generic message even for the guys who have their AOR.

Reactions: NMontD

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015

It will be considered a new application if you submit 1 now.

Reactions: NMontD

NMontD

Nov 30, 2016
Thanks, both. I spoke to IRCC and the agent and she has recommended waiting to hear from them. If i send new now it may confuse the officers. However, have you or anyone come across a situation where they have sent back based on the situation I have applied? Since i gave the consent and also updated SIN number of my spouse, what is your opinion? Do they check if CRA before making decisson ?