+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School Admissions -- Read all about it here >>>

mapledreams12

Feb 10, 2012
I am planning to travel to Canada in the 2nd week of May - Toronto.

On going through the school admission details I came to know that school closes for long vacation on 29th June 2012, so would it be difficult to get admission for my 7yr old daughter with just 6 weeks remaining for school closing?

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Good information, but i think i need to state a few things:

1. In Canada there is Right to Education, same is true for India.
2. The schooling is free in Canada (at Public schools), and in India its also almost free at Govt. schools.
3. I doubt that the free schooling is the reason why prospective immigrants are moving to Canada.
4. Ranking for schools is important. Bad schools belonging to bad neighborhoods have higher drug abuse problems and lower grades.
5. People tend to choose the neighborhood they live considering the ranking of the nearby public school.
6. Private schools are consistently top ranked by Fraser Institute and Macleans every year.
7. Private schools have small class room size providing more attention towards the kids.
8. Private schools have more resources available and have higher qualified teaching staff.
9. Private schools are no doubt better if you can pay the cost (again on overall average basis).
10. Remember not all fingers are the same. Not all schools are the same.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mapledreams12 said:
I am planning to travel to Canada in the 2nd week of May - Toronto.

On going through the school admission details I came to know that school closes for long vacation on 29th June 2012, so would it be difficult to get admission for my 7yr old daughter with just 6 weeks remaining for school closing?
I did the same... landed on 12th May, let the kids enjoy Canada for rest of the month, and admitted them to the neighborhood school on 1st June. That yr the schools closed on 21st June.

Qorax

mapledreams12

Feb 10, 2012
qorax said:
I did the same... landed on 12th May, let the kids enjoy Canada for rest of the month, and admitted them to the neighborhood school on 1st June. That yr the schools closed on 21st June.

Qorax
Thank you , knowing that you had done the same I am relieved.

xony

Star Member
Feb 28, 2012
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2010
IELTS Request
Jan2011
Med's Request
01-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Passport Req..
01-08-2012
Dear Qurax,
I'm new here and even don't know how to add my status timeline like others.
Anyhow, I'm waiting for the PRP as I submitted the medical to London Office in the 2st week on Nov 2011.

Me and my wife are concerned about our son's education. She was in a strict British system and I was in a strict french one!
So, we were wondering if there is any schools in Toronto that gives IGCSE upon graduation.
Or what is the grade that they got after high school.

Thanks for your time,
xony

vinpar

Star Member
May 21, 2011
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 2011
Doc's Request.
all sent with the initial file
Med's Request
cleared
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
Issued March
LANDED..........
May- June hopefully
Thanks Qorax. This is very helpful and reassuring.

have a quick question on my daughters schooling. By Aug 12 she would have completed 11. My family will be joining me in Aug. Right now in India her schools are closed for vacation. Is it okay if she does not join 6th Grade in India and directly join in canada -with 5 months of break. I think it does not matter.. but just wanted to get your thoughts. Or else I would need to pay fees for next academic year and relieve my daughter out of school in Aug.

I also understand TC(Transfer certificates are mandatory). We have a comprehensive school progress report provided every year. TC is just a letter that she is transferred.

Thnx,

mmkcanada

Nov 15, 2011
Dear Qorax

appricate if you can add some informations for Collage/University admission, specially regarding to age, and if someone completed A or AS level where he will get admission in collage or university?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
xony said:
Dear Qurax,
I'm new here and even don't know how to add my status timeline like others.
Anyhow, I'm waiting for the PRP as I submitted the medical to London Office in the 2st week on Nov 2011.

Me and my wife are concerned about our son's education. She was in a strict British system and I was in a strict french one!
So, we were wondering if there is any schools in Toronto that gives IGCSE upon graduation.
Or what is the grade that they got after high school.

Thanks for your time,
xony
Canada has it's own ednl system... In a broad sense it's akin to the British Baccalaureate way.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
vinpar said:
Thanks Qorax. This is very helpful and reassuring.

have a quick question on my daughters schooling. By Aug 12 she would have completed 11. My family will be joining me in Aug. Right now in India her schools are closed for vacation. Is it okay if she does not join 6th Grade in India and directly join in canada -with 5 months of break. I think it does not matter.. but just wanted to get your thoughts. Or else I would need to pay fees for next academic year and relieve my daughter out of school in Aug.

I also understand TC(Transfer certificates are mandatory). We have a comprehensive school progress report provided every year. TC is just a letter that she is transferred.

Thnx,
Yes, it's Ok.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mmkcanada said:
Dear Qorax

appricate if you can add some informations for Collage/University admission, specially regarding to age, and if someone completed A or AS level where he will get admission in collage or university?
Hi,

-Beyond schooling our edn isn't free here.
-There's no age criteria for univ./colleges.
-Unlike Asian system - College isn't part of academic edn here, it's for professional courses.
-For academic advancement of edn we go directly to Univs.
-Enrolment to univs depend on the time of applying, availability of seats & merit.
-As a PR or citizen we pay (broadly speaking) one-sixth of what International students pay in course fees.
-Besides, the Govt. also assists u with "loans" (eg. OSAP), which takes a major burden out of u.

Unlike other nations, if our kids excel in edn, we as parents needn't feel the "pinch". They can easily go all the way. Affordability isn't a question here... Sky, actually, is the limit.

Shall I say, "Viva Canada"!

Qorax

rinks25us

Star Member
Nov 3, 2009
Thanks Qorax.. not just for this but for various other things that you have highlighted.. You are an inspiration..:)

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
rinks25us said:
Thanks Qorax.. not just for this but for various other things that you have highlighted.. You are an inspiration..:)
I remain indebted for ur good words Sir!