+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Schengen area with Canadian Travel Document ?

Kikunimtl

Sep 6, 2017
Hello everybody,

(First of all, I want to apologize in advance for the English level of my message: I google translator, because i'm freench speaker ).

I have some questions about traveling in the Schengen area with a blue Canadian travel document + Permanent Resident Card:

- With regard to travel to Germany (which is without a visa): The stamp affixed to the travel document is simply a stamp with the entry date, or a visa?
- The stamp / visa is given easily, or is an inquiry made at the customs of the airport? (Reason for visit, amount of funds available, hotel reservation, and booking of return air ticket, etc ...?) ... Feedback, pleaaaaase!
- Can one legally visit the other countries of the Schengen area, for example France or Belgium, by land, (by bus, or train, for example?), Or is it necessary to have a Schengen visa ... What do you think about ?
- If a schengen visa is absolutely necessary , which consulate in Montreal would you advise me to apply to apply for a Schengen visa?

Thanks , all , in advance!

BAH35sha

Jun 23, 2018
Hello everybody,

(First of all, I want to apologize in advance for the English level of my message: I google translator, because i'm freench speaker ).

I have some questions about traveling in the Schengen area with a blue Canadian travel document + Permanent Resident Card:

- With regard to travel to Germany (which is without a visa): The stamp affixed to the travel document is simply a stamp with the entry date, or a visa?
- The stamp / visa is given easily, or is an inquiry made at the customs of the airport? (Reason for visit, amount of funds available, hotel reservation, and booking of return air ticket, etc ...?) ... Feedback, pleaaaaase!
- Can one legally visit the other countries of the Schengen area, for example France or Belgium, by land, (by bus, or train, for example?), Or is it necessary to have a Schengen visa ... What do you think about ?
- If a schengen visa is absolutely necessary , which consulate in Montreal would you advise me to apply to apply for a Schengen visa?

Thanks , all , in advance!

Hi! I was able to travel to Germany and Italy last summer and the spring before that with my RTD and PR, they did ask me some questions about my funds, why I was travelling and my return ticket. But this year, indeed 2 days ago I had my flight to France/Paris booked and I could not get off because they said I need a visa! I have already e-mailed the embassy of France and they asked me to use the VisaWizard in their website to find out if I need a visa, while in their Visa wizard they do not have the option for Refugee Travel Document holders... even when I tried to apply for a visa just to be on the safe side, under the options for travel document types issued by Canada you cannot fund RTD! I called them and talked to different people 4 times yesterday, 3 of them had no answers for me and the last one said: you do need to apply for a visa and when you do, do not declare that your travel document is issued by Canada, instead choose your country of origin as the place which issued your travel document!! This sounded off as it can be considered a lie, I do not hold a passport from my country of origin, and Canada has issued my RTD... At the end I just decided to let it go and just wait for my citizenship, but I am really frustrated that the website of the France Embassy does not even recognize Refugee Travel Document holders, I am only one person, what if someone has a close family there and has to travel to France for an emergency situation? Who has an answer for this? Nobody was able to direct me to the responsible party with a clear answer....

Sarah0211

Star Member
Apr 24, 2019
I hope this is not too late but yes, you need a visa to France. I talked to the embassy and the consulate. Anyone with a traveling document needs to apply for a visa and the processing time takes about a month.