+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scarborough -DM-Oath

The July 1st ceremonies typically have hundreds of oath-takers. And I think if you looked into it properly, you'd find that Mississauga and Scarborough share judges. It's not likely that it's just as simple as finding more judges. I'm sure the administrative staff in the office has to split time between processing incoming, ongoing, and even getting applicant files ready for finalization and oaths. It's not the judge who has to do all of the legwork for the oath ceremony, that would be staff.

So, as has been said several times. It's not incompetence if they are meeting their timelines. Quite frankly, if they are finishing the majority of applications (that 85% threshold) before 12 months, they are actually exceeding expectations, not incompetent. That people are impatient with the process or not managing their own expectations properly is not the fault of IRCC staff.
To add to your point, people are comparing their process to other Canadian offices with significantly applications. If you look at the immigrant population of the GTA compared to any other part of Canada you will understand why it will definitely take much longer here. We need to learn to manage our expectations truly.

Today, after almost 13 months of routine process we finally got our citizenship certificates. It was extremely long and frustrated journey.
We got our test after 11.5 month of waiting. I wish to all of the people here to get the oath asap. I've just wanted to remind you , that you even don't understand how lucky you are. We saw tens of thousands people getting their oath while we waiting for the interview invitation only.
But fortunately all those days are over.

So have a good weekend to all of you and your families. See you as a Canadian Citizens very soon!
Congratulations!

We had our Oath ceremony yesterday. It took around 45 min to check the documents of all Oath takers and get them settled in the room and 45 min for the ceremony. Judge did praise the staff and told us that they conducted the ceremony of 5,000 from mid November to mid December so that most of the immigrant can see 2018 as Citizens. I think, they are doing great job. The time will come for everyone. Be patient and good luck to everyone waiting for Oath.
Congrats!

Guys here is the link, they have dates starting from May 2nd:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/citcer/search-recherche-eng.aspx#resultList
Thanks for sharing this information, I checked the link and noticed that while Mississauga scheduled 9 ceremonies , Scarborough 6 and Toronto 1 in May, Calgary alone has 23 ceremonies and Vancouver 16. I am beginning to wonder how all these other offices are able to have this many oath ceremonies while the GTA is having far less. The problem may be resource distribution. GTA may not be receiving resources equivalent to the number of people they serve. CIC should know that equality is not the same as equity, equity is what is needed in this instance as the application numbers are not the same. Funding and resources should reflect the number of applications being processed by an office. They should try to be equitable.

Reactions: SSB1992

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for sharing this information, I checked the link and noticed that while Mississauga scheduled 9 ceremonies , Scarborough 6 and Toronto 1 in May, Calgary alone has 23 ceremonies and Vancouver 16. I am beginning to wonder how all these other offices are able to have this many oath ceremonies while the GTA is having far less. The problem may be resource distribution. GTA may not be receiving resources equivalent to the number of people they serve. CIC should know that equality is not the same as equity, equity is what is needed in this instance as the application numbers are not the same. Funding and resources should reflect the number of applications being processed by an office. They should try to be equitable.
Your post is at the very least misleading.

Firstly, offices have been notoriously inconsistent in what is posted for ceremonies, so this listing should not be used as any sort of barometer.

Secondly, compare apples to apples. Calgary is showing oaths scheduled through June. They only have two sessions per week. Scarborough has a minimum of 4 most weeks with the occasional Toronto oath ceremony at HMCS York.

Jaay

Dec 28, 2017
Its funny how some people think that Scarborough office is working hard!. :D I guess this is a problem if this is the way we define working hard lol.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Its funny how some people think that Scarborough office is working hard!. :D I guess this is a problem if this is the way we define working hard lol.
So I guess if you had a customer that placed an order with you, was told and accepted that the order would take a specified amount of time, and then called you lazy because it wasn’t done in half that time.... is the customer being reasonable?

There are 10’s of thousands of applicants processed at any given time through that office. Don’t call people lazy just because you don’t have reasonable expectations.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
So I guess if you had a customer that placed an order with you, was told and accepted that the order would take a specified amount of time, and then called you lazy because it wasn’t done in half that time.... is the customer being reasonable?

There are 10’s of thousands of applicants processed at any given time through that office. Don’t call people lazy just because you don’t have reasonable expectations.
Lets say you took your car to the body shop, and were told it takes a month to get it ready, you pass by a week later and see the body repairs and paint is done..but the bodyshop owner tells you the last step remaining is to wash the car and polish it, that will take 3 weeks so come back later.

This is the part which i (and maybe others) are not happy about. If it takes 3-4 months to get to DM thats 90% of the work done already....it doesn't make much sense to have to wait 6-9 months for the car polish (oath), we need to get rollin' man :p

Pasi

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2009
Toronto

The only point you are missing here is that people are getting uneasy because they see applications around them moving faster. Consider Donald Duck, SpiceIsland.. as per the sheet, Donald Duck is the only person from July who is still waiting (from the list of people who are entered in the sheet. there may be others from July who are still waiting, but we dont know). and when he sees October applicants from the same office getting invites, he has every reason to be pissed off. its not about the 12 month timeline. its about being fair towards everyone. if everyone is getting the invite in their 12th month, then i would agree. i dont have any issues waiting till my 12th month. i can plan my vacations easily. everyone's situation is different.

Last edited:

Pasi

Champion Member
Sep 24, 2009
Toronto
To add to your point, people are comparing their process to other Canadian offices with significantly applications. If you look at the immigrant population of the GTA compared to any other part of Canada you will understand why it will definitely take much longer here. We need to learn to manage our expectations truly.
Again, i am sticking to my point. Mississauga is also in GTA and i am sure that office also covers equal area as Scarborough. Just because my address falls in Scarborough zone, i am assigned to this office and waiting. If i were assigned to Mississauga, i would have completed my ceremony long back. People have their own reasons for being frustrated with the wait. we cannot generalize it. i have a vacation coming up in mid june and i dont know if i can go or if i need to push it .. my dates have been informed at work, so how much of a flexibility will i have to change my dates.. ticket prices keep increasing day by day.. so many things going on in my mind.. i am sure most of us have some reasons.. we need to respect that.

Reactions: iwodamiorie

Ron1985

Apr 12, 2018
I've done my citizenship test last April 3 received a notice of oath last April 20 oath taking ceremony scheduled on May 8.

Reactions: emamabd