+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Scanning copies or originals?

quarko

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Hello there,

from this page I can see that translated documents need to have a certified copy:

If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:
  • the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document.
How do I upload those translated documents correctly? Do I need to attach scan of the original, true copy and translation? Or only of the true copy and translation? Or only original and translation? (but then why do I need a true copy?)

Also, in case translations need a true copy for some reason, do I need also to make true copies of other not-translated documents? For example passport or diplomas? Or can I just attach originals?

For example here's what they say about passports:

• A clear and legible copy of the biographical data page of a passport or travel document must be provided.
Does that mean I need to scan a true copy of my passport?

Sorry if this question was already asked, but I'm very confused on what to attach where.

Thanks in advance.

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
You should scan original documents and then followed by the certified true copy of the translation

As for passport yes you need to scan the original passport. Not sure what your question is because it is a requirement to scan your passport and all pages with the stamps

quarko

Star Member
May 23, 2015
Thanks for reply.

...followed by the certified true copy of the translation
True copy of the translation, or translation of the true copy?

As about second part, I'm just confused by the phrasing here: "A clear and legible copy of the biographical data page of a passport or travel document must be provided.". So it sounds like I need to make a copy of it.

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
Thanks for reply.

True copy of the translation, or translation of the true copy?

As about second part, I'm just confused by the phrasing here: "A clear and legible copy of the biographical data page of a passport or travel document must be provided.". So it sounds like I need to make a copy of it.
1.What I meant was you get some to translate it which obviously be a new document and then they stamp and sign it to certify it as a true copy
2. You just need to scan a clear copy that would be what legible copy means.

Everything in the whole process requires scans of the original documents. You do not send any originals in the mail to them.

Hope that helps