Scam Alerts for Apartment Seeker

KittYLoveCaD

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
Lived in SK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Friends,

I got my own story regarding scam to share with you during the time I am looking for rent of an apartment in Saskatoon, SK yesterday.

I contacted a gentleman on Kijiji (KEN POLAS, 4402032903159) who has a 2 bedroom condo fully furnished just in the downtown with a price of 825 CAD$ ea month (including all cost of power, parking, heat, internet, cable...). He said he is now in UK and pursues a 5 year project there so the condo suite is now available for rent and this is the first time he rents in life.

He wrote everything in details and showed me in a helpful manner with immediate responses. I am okay to rent his apartment with the monthly payment of 825 CAD$ but seriously want to clarify more about his evidence of a suite owner, draft contract,... (he did not give a feedback except pushing transaction closed and payment processed upfront) and he proposed the transaction should be through www.PrimeLocation.com as an escrow agent.

He asked me to money-gram 1,300 CAD$ (first month lease plus damage deposit) to ANOTHER man (KEVIN ZENAS, PrimeLocation agent's name!) for this transaction before the escrow representative can express courier the apartment keys and rental contract to my country!.

Some doubts/weirdness arised in me for:

1. why he (currently in UK and I called him too with UK number, his accent is not of Canadian or British, appeared to be very busy...) did not provide clarification to what I was asking for, not send the draft contract (including what were for the deal),..
2. repeatedly asking me about money transfer by Money Gram (actively showed me many locations of Money Gram in my living area),
3. why not making a wire transfer to a legal entity but I was asked to money-gram to another man.

I insisted on what I requested before like giving me the draft contract for legal review coming with his evidence of the suite owner. He could not provide them indeed and he said the contract was the same of template issued by SK.

I told him I was the one who set the rule during the rent as I pay and I want to see what I want before I pay. He said do not set the rule on his place!

At this stage, I knew he is "abnormal" lessor and this is probably a scam. I googled and found out there were many stories like this reported to Saskatoon police for investigation.

I angrily wrote to warn him with a very strong message and he disappeared since then without traces. Shocked

So the rules here are:

1. clarify anything you want before closing the deal;
2. comment/review the contract before finalizing it/deal;
3. bank transfer to the account agreed (company account, invoice issued...)
4. we pay the rent we have the power to deal.
5. think again before we pay EVEN 5 points above fully satisfied....

Please pay ATTENTION!!!!!!!

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
I would like to share my experienced in getting a place when I first enter Canada with my family. I searched thru craigslist and luckily found an honest and helpful landlord. He didn't demand any deposit at that time, we only paid for the deposit when we arrived Canada. We did all the paperwork and review contract thru email, but no money involved at that stage. So I guess if you could possibly have it this way it is way safer.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Anyone asking to deposit money with Money Gram or Western Union scream scam to me.

Some suggestion for those just arrived, fresh off the plane, or going to be:
go with the bigger rental companies for a short term lease or even Airbnb that rents out in weeks. Then look for a longer term place to live while you are present in the city so you are able to actually see the place and meet the person.

Use extra extra caution while dealing with people on kijiji or craigslist. I will never make a deal without meeting in person using those as their ToC stresses. (Airbnb or alike have dispute system that you can complaint to so it's better, still not as good as meeting in person)

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Better to stay first week in a hotel and look for apartment.

KittYLoveCaD

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
Lived in SK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hedonist10 said:
how can you get $825 apartments in downtown, everything inclusive....thats common sense
Absolutely can not. All may try the luck and for me I took more caution to clarify what I have the doubt on him, and did not fall on the scam trap.

I did contact well known agents and we are finalizing one suite this weekend.

vinitmenon

Nov 1, 2012
dont trust kijiji.

1st rule: go with professionally managed apt rentals.
2nd: they will go thru ur background check after you do a written application.
3rd: once approved they will do a rental agreement and at the time you pay ur damage deposit and 1st month rent in advance.

rule 0: do not agree on anything without taking a look at the place yourself.

audrey888

Aug 12, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have been posting some ads on Kijiji and Roomster looking for apartment for rent in Toronto as I'm in Calgary right now and been receiving emails messages and suspicious text messages. Suspicious in terms that the number used were outside Canada usually US same goes with the car I'm selling advertisement that I posted on Kijiji and Auto Trader. The scam artist will mention in the message that he's in the US right now blah..blah..blah.. will give you the details of the apartment some pictures, will ask for deposit first and last rent then you will find out that he's renting the property which is not actually his own!
Beware guys especially to the newcomers Don't give a damn to these scam artist online.

KittYLoveCaD

Star Member
Mar 19, 2016
Lived in SK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinitmenon said:
dont trust kijiji.

1st rule: go with professionally managed apt rentals.
2nd: they will go thru ur background check after you do a written application.
3rd: once approved they will do a rental agreement and at the time you pay ur damage deposit and 1st month rent in advance.

rule 0: do not agree on anything without taking a look at the place yourself.
You can say this again.

nekeol

Champion Member
Nov 7, 2012
Waterloo region, Ontario
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London/Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
1111 Accountant
App. Filed.......
25/9/2011
Doc's Request.
21/11/12
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
IELTS Request
Submitted with Application
Med's Request
19/12/2013, after BGC
Med's Done....
7/1/2014
Interview........
Exempt
Passport Req..
02/02/2014 - DM 11/2/14
VISA ISSUED...
14/02/2014
LANDED..........
Alhamdolillah Landed July 2014/Citizenship Applied in JAN 2018
audrey888 said:
I have been posting some ads on Kijiji and Roomster looking for apartment for rent in Toronto as I'm in Calgary right now and been receiving emails messages and suspicious text messages. Suspicious in terms that the number used were outside Canada usually US same goes with the car I'm selling advertisement that I posted on Kijiji and Auto Trader. The scam artist will mention in the message that he's in the US right now blah..blah..blah.. will give you the details of the apartment some pictures, will ask for deposit first and last rent then you will find out that he's renting the property which is not actually his own!
Beware guys especially to the newcomers Don't give a damn to these scam artist online.
agree

Prats6

Aug 31, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
4th April 2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
Rule in life : If its probably too good to be true, it probably is.

You don't even need to entertain such people. I would suggest new comers to book AirBNB or a hotel for a short term and then look for a long term rental. Stick to the bigger Property Mgt. Companies.

vinitmenon

Nov 1, 2012
look for youth hostels or find some indian contacts.. stay with them for a week while u search an apt for yourself. see how things work here and then it will be really easy...

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
vinitmenon said:
look for youth hostels or find some indian contacts.. stay with them for a week while u search an apt for yourself. see how things work here and then it will be really easy...
Agree, but not applicable to all especially if you're coming in with a young family and no relatives in Canada. Better explore other safe options.

illuminatidinesh

Jan 31, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Other
Mine was as soon as I landed in stayed with a roommate. Since he wanted to move in gave ad in kijiji for new roommate. It turned out to be a scam. One lady and her father wanted to join then they were interested in sending money through cheques. Don't ever deposit these in your accounts. Completely fake