+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Saskatchewan to Toronto - Child Birth and Queries

Blackking

Star Member
Sep 2, 2015
Myself and my spouse are PR who were Saskatchewan province nominee but before 5 months I moved to Toronto in search of Job, and my spouse have now went back to India for Child birth, We are expecting our kid on Feb 2018.

I am having the below queries before taking a decision thought to discuss and get suggestion from the forum

1) I am planning to bring my spouse here in Toronto directly from India, but as per Toronto Government, I have to wait for 3 months to get Health card for my family, But for my family I have the Saskatchewan health card my query is if I hospitalize my spouse here in Toronto as per rules Saskatchewan government should honor the health card provided to my family will they be paying the full delivery and hospitalization fees to Toronto or will they be complicating the hospitalization fees?
2) In case if I want to take any insurance for the child birth in Toronto which service provider I can approach and how much it will cost?
3)On other hand,if my child is born in India what are the chances of applying for TRV visa and then sponsoring the kid from Canada? I read somewhere in the forum that if parents both are PR and child is born outside Canada they can apply for TRV or TRP visa and when the Child is in Canada both parents can sponsor the new born child!
4) If I plan to bring my new born kid at earliest to Canada say within a month or two, what type of insurance coverage should I take inside Canada to cover all medical expenses i.e starting from Vaccination etc..? And how much would it cost?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Myself and my spouse are PR who were Saskatchewan province nominee but before 5 months I moved to Toronto in search of Job, and my spouse have now went back to India for Child birth, We are expecting our kid on Feb 2018.

I am having the below queries before taking a decision thought to discuss and get suggestion from the forum

1) I am planning to bring my spouse here in Toronto directly from India, but as per Toronto Government, I have to wait for 3 months to get Health card for my family, But for my family I have the Saskatchewan health card my query is if I hospitalize my spouse here in Toronto as per rules Saskatchewan government should honor the health card provided to my family will they be paying the full delivery and hospitalization fees to Toronto or will they be complicating the hospitalization fees?
2) In case if I want to take any insurance for the child birth in Toronto which service provider I can approach and how much it will cost?
3)On other hand,if my child is born in India what are the chances of applying for TRV visa and then sponsoring the kid from Canada? I read somewhere in the forum that if parents both are PR and child is born outside Canada they can apply for TRV or TRP visa and when the Child is in Canada both parents can sponsor the new born child!
4) If I plan to bring my new born kid at earliest to Canada say within a month or two, what type of insurance coverage should I take inside Canada to cover all medical expenses i.e starting from Vaccination etc..? And how much would it cost?
Your Saskatchewan health cards are only valid if you spend 5 months out of the year in the Province. Yes your wife will have to wait 3 months to get OHIP so you will have to pay for her care up to the birth and the labour and delivery. You will not be able to buy insurance that covers her labour and delivery. You may have been able to purchase a policy before she got pregnant.

You can try and apply for a trv if your child is born in India. Nobody can tell you what your chances are. If that doesn't work apply for TRP. Last option is for you to apply for the child's PR while your wife and child are in India. If you do get a trv/trp you should purchase medical insurance but that will only cover emergency care. Any routine care you will have to pay for out of pocket.

Reactions: Blackking

Blackking

Star Member
Sep 2, 2015
Hi Canuck, thank you very much for your response and apologize for posting this thread in different section in this visa forum, I was just desperately looking for answers. I have a new job and insurance coverage for my family, will that family insurance will cover the Child birth expenses? How the employer family insurance usually works in Canada? I was always wondering why employers are giving health insurance when government is already providing the same!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Canuck, thank you very much for your response and apologize for posting this thread in different section in this visa forum, I was just desperately looking for answers. I have a new job and insurance coverage for my family, will that family insurance will cover the Child birth expenses? How the employer family insurance usually works in Canada? I was always wondering why employers are giving health insurance when government is already providing the same!

Health insurance provided by employers in Canada are for "extended benefits". Basically for services not provided by the provincial plan. All plans are different but usually cover all or a portion of the cost for prescription medication, eye exams and glasses, dental care/orthodontics, physiotherapy/massage/chiropractor/acupuncture, medical devices, etc. It will not cover anything that is provided by your provincial health plan including a birth.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm not sure if you used your Saskatchewan health card but if you did Saskatchewan may want to be reimbursed because you did not spend enough time there.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

1. When you moved out of Saskatchewan, you were required to inform the provincial health agency so that they could cancel your coverage. If you try to use Saskatchewan to pay for healthcare when you don't qualify, you will be committing healthcare fraud.

2. No insurance provider will cover childbirth.

3. You are required to be living in Canada when you submit the sponsorship app and throughout the processing. If your child is not approved for a TRV or TRP, you will be separated during the process.

4. You really need to do that research yourself.

Blackking

Star Member
Sep 2, 2015
1. When you moved out of Saskatchewan, you were required to inform the provincial health agency so that they could cancel your coverage. If you try to use Saskatchewan to pay for healthcare when you don't qualify, you will be committing healthcare fraud.

2. No insurance provider will cover childbirth.

3. You are required to be living in Canada when you submit the sponsorship app and throughout the processing. If your child is not approved for a TRV or TRP, you will be separated during the process.

4. You really need to do that research yourself.
Thanks for your response, in that case can I sponsor my child or both parents should sponsor the child leaving the children back in India?