Waived
Passport Req..
25-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
27-09-2014
Hi All,

I completed my medicals in Nov,2013 and sent updated docs to visa office in Jan.
I am looking for guidance and sharing experiences in SAP community so starting this new thread.

I am a certified SAP Basis consultant with over 8 years experience, working with a well known consulting firm. I read a lot of blogs and discussions which have worried me a bit. Canadian job market seems be a "closed" one towards immigrants with "Canadian experience" a major barrier.

Is there anyone who finally cracked this problem and landed a job? If anyone can shed light on what actually is going on up north, please do reply.

Regards, FSW

Maple Leaf SAP

Dec 10, 2012
Hi skilledworkerapplicant,

I completely understand your worries. I went through the same questioning a couple of years ago when landing in Montreal. There are a couple of things you need to know:
Yes, it happens that employers reject candidates with the reason of missing Canadian experience. It especially happens if a company interviewed several comparable candidates. They have to find a way to select the right candidate. In this situation, the slightest difference counts (like for ex. local experience).
Another reason: In Canada (like in the US), employers often run background checks on potential candidates. And it is much easier and quicker to run these checks (like references) on local people than someone who just arrived.

What can you do to avoid a rejection for missing Canadian experience?
I can think of two strategies:
1) You bring along a rare skillset, which is in demand. A good example would be SAP HANA. A Basis consultant who was involved setting up and running a HANA environment would not have a lot of difficulties to find his first job in Canada. Regardless of his local experience…
2) You connect to a compatriot who is a SAP recruiter in Canada. He will understand your situation and knows how to bring your profile through the background checks if required.

As for any immigration project, there is a risk that it will not work out. Continue your preparation for our arrival in Canada and properly organize your job search in the first couple of weeks. And then you will find your first assignment probably quicker than you think.

Good luck
Bernhard
mapleleafSAP.com

May 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-06-2009
Med's Done....
15-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2014
LANDED..........
27-09-2014
Dear Bernhard,

Thanks for your details response. The timing is perfect since I just received my COPR.
I now intend to enter Canada and apply for PR cards as soon as possible.

Due to volatile nature of my assignment in US, I am at crossroads on whether I should go back to home country in a month when my assignment ends or enter Canada right away and start my search.

I went through your website and it is quite informative. Thanks again for your time.

Regards,
SWA