+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ - question 1

Soopergal

Star Member
Apr 26, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Im married to a Canadian citizen. I came to canada (permanent resident visa) in July 2007. We left after 2weeks. We travelled to Canada few times after that and we moved here permanently in may 2009.

In my case, what should be the response to Question #1?

A. may 2009
B. July 2007

I believe it is A. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Halloum

Star Member
Apr 7, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Soopergal said:
Im married to a Canadian citizen. I came to canada (permanent resident visa) in July 2007. We left after 2weeks. We travelled to Canada few times after that and we moved here permanently in may 2009.

A. may 2009
B. July 2007

Thanks.
B- July 2007

Soopergal

Star Member
Apr 26, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks. Yikes! Really? I already started filling out the application based on A.

It did say either date when came to canada to live or became a permanent resident. I chose B because that's when I came to canada to live. I'm really confused.

moti

Oct 24, 2012
soopergal,

answer to Q 1 is , out of 2 options whichever date comes first, that in your case is july 2007.

Soopergal

Star Member
Apr 26, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On that note, is there online instructions for filling out RQ?

The reason I thought, it's B is, because the question no. 2 ask about when did I become a permanent resident. For that the answer would be A.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Soopergal said:
On that note, is there online instructions for filling out RQ?

The reason I thought, it's B is, because the question no. 2 ask about when did I become a permanent resident. For that the answer would be A.
What was your status when you came here first? You seem to indicate "(permanent resident visa)" for 2007, but then above you indicate that you became a PR in 2009.

If you came here in 2007 on a vacation and without a special visa (work/student/etc), then yes, you should probably list 2009 as your arrival date in Canada. But if you came here as a PR, even if you left 2 weeks later, you should definitely list 2007 as your arrival date in Canada.

Regarding instructions for RQ filling-out, there are no official CIC resources that I know of (which I believe significantly exacerbates the difficulty of the RQ process for recipients).
Given the dearth of well organized, quality RQ resources, I have tried to provide some on my rq website: residencequestionnaire DOT wordpress DOT com

Good luck.

rajmalhotra7

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Soopergal said:

A. may 2009
B. July 2007

Thanks.
If you became PR in July 2007, following are the answers:

When did you come to Canada to live: July 2007; If you were living in Canada on a non-immigrant visa before July 2007, then list the original entry date when you came on non-immigrant visa.

When did you became Permanent Resident in Canada: July 2007

The period from July 2007 to May 2009 will be counted towards your absence from Canada.

When you landed in July 2007, CIC considers that you moved permanently to live in Canada. However, if you leave Canada within some days or weeks after becoming Permanent Resident then it is your absence from Canada.

Soopergal

Star Member
Apr 26, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is the question number 1:
What was your arrival date in Canada ( the date on which you first came to Canada to live or the date on which you became a Permanent Resident of Canada) and what was your status?

I landed here on permanent resident visa and got permanent resident Status but left Canada after few weeks. I have been to Canada before. But I didn't come here to LIVE until 2009. I'm gonna call cic tomorrow to clarify. What a palava! i have already filled the docs based on B and got all the docs together. These last minute doubts are delaying it further. Anyway, if I send it as is, do you think they will send it back? Or does it mean it will go to a citizenship judge because I mis-read the question?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Soopergal said:
Here is the question number 1:
What was your arrival date in Canada ( the date on which you first came to Canada to live or the date on which you became a Permanent Resident of Canada) and what was your status?
I landed here on permanent resident visa and got permanent resident Status but left Canada after few weeks.
I feel strongly that you should answer Question 1 as the date on which you became a PR. I think PR status has more importance in your case than the date you permanently moved to Canada. Especially given that most people who have a discrepancy between the date they came to Canada and their PR Status came here long before they got PR status. Given the relative rarity of moving here years after receiving PR status, it's important for you to do your best to give the impression that you are as forthcoming and transparent as possible about your activities since receiving your PR status. By leaving out information about your comings and goings from Canada before you permanently moved here, but after your PR status, the CIC may wonder what info you are leaving out, i.e. if there's something you're hiding. I think this is exactly the impression you want to avoid.

As someone who filled in 9 years worth of travel history for her RQ, I know it's a pain, especially given the amount of white-out you would have to apply to your form, but this is your chance to make your case, so I really encourage you to make as strong and transparent a case for yourself as you can. i.e. give the extra info.

moti

Oct 24, 2012
Hi soopergal.

before the questions,read the first paragraph of the form carefully,it clearly states that you should write the date which comes first. that in your case is the date when you became PR i.e 2007.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
eileenf and others,

Are you saying:??

If someone landed in July 07 then left soon and then came back in 2009 to permanently live here AND let us say they signed their citizenship application Sep 30, 2014

For the purposes of RQ, do they have to account for Sep 30, 2104 back to July 2007 or only Sep 30, 2014 - Sep 30, 2010 (i.e. only last 4 years preceding date of application)??

So for item 7, in the latest RQ cit0171_Sep 2012 you are saying using the example above details going back from Sep 30, 2014 to July 2007 have to be listed ??

In short, its details for the last for the last 7 years from Sep 2014 back to first landing??

And this means showing details on last 7 years on everything in the RQ form ??

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Eileenf,

CORRECTION/UPDATE TO ABOVE QUESTION:

The latest Sep 2012 RQ form has this wording in the opening para: Unless otherwise noted, the documents you must provide should cover the 4 year period immediately before having submitted your application for grant of citizenship, specifically, from YYYYMMDD to YYYYMMDD.

Now referring back to my earlier question, is it that the person issuing RQ will use discretion to fill the YYYYMMDD fields to EITHER:

(1) ask for the full 7 years looking back - which includes time they were overseas AFTER their first time landing in July 2007;

OR

(2) They ask only for last years preceding the date cit application was signed.

So, the officer makes a judgement and decides how he/she will fill the YYYYMMDD fields (actually only the first one is important since the second would be the date application was signed).

Is this an accurate reading of how they would go about it. SO, then based on the YYYYMMDD range , the applicant is either lucky to get just the last 4 years or going back EVEN FURTHER to first time they landed ?

But, the application keeps saying since your arrival in Canada , so lets say the officer indicates only last four years in YYYYMMDD fields, do we then go by what they ask for OR do we still supersede and have the burden of going all the way back to July 2007 ?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
us2yow said:
eileenf and others,
Are you saying:??
If someone landed in July 07 then left soon and then came back in 2009 to permanently live here AND let us say they signed their citizenship application Sep 30, 2014

For the purposes of RQ, do they have to account for Sep 30, 2104 back to July 2007 or only Sep 30, 2014 - Sep 30, 2010 (i.e. only last 4 years preceding date of application)??
So for item 7, in the latest RQ cit0171_Sep 2012 you are saying using the example above details going back from Sep 30, 2014 to July 2007 have to be listed ??

In short, its details for the last for the last 7 years from Sep 2014 back to first landing??
And this means showing details on last 7 years on everything in the RQ form ??
This was a source of confusion for rank and file CIC agents after CIT0171(04/2012) came out.
From Akella's ATIA request: "Most questions on the RQ seem to be based on your “Arrival date in Canada”. For some clients…that could be 8-10-20 years ago. Is it possible that we ask someone to go back 10-20 years ago for Absences from Canada, Employment Ties, etc.? Shouldn’t we only be concerned with the 4 years preceding the grant application as per Basic Residence criteria?" -p4 residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/delayland/

Unfortunately, the response was redacted or not included, but the consensus is that since the RQ specifies repeatedly "Arrival date in Canada" (which would be landing date in the case you described) an RQ recipient would be wise to follow the instructions and provide a full accounting of every cross-border jaunt they've made for since their arrival date in Canada.

Speaking for myself, the personal documentary evidence which I included (rental contracts, bank statements, health records, etc.) was focussed on my 4 year qualifying period. The institutional documentary evidence which I provided (Records of Movement from my home country, CBSA records, passport photocopies, etc) covered the entire period.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
eileenf,

So to use the approach you took in your own case and apply it to my example:

A --> The very detailed documentation on all things Canada-related about the applicant would be for the immediate 4 years preceding application submission. (in my example ---> Sep 30, 2014- Sep 30, 2010)

HOWEVER,

B --------> For only these records you went all the way back to the time of first landing (in my example July 2007)

- - US CBP Records

- - CBSA records

- - Passport copies (all passport held since first landing).

I see how A+B both together should more than easily help them piece together storyline.