+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ before test , timeline

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
Cloee,

Based on how you describe your friends' case - it already looks like CIC has become more used to handling RQs and knows when to move things ahead when it reviews docs sent as part of RQ.

I think they will get even more efficient with the whole thing and processes when they increase processing fee and improve their steps further. The people who were first hit by all the RQs etc were confused and maybe most impacted - but I am also very sure the CIC officers doing all the reviewing themselves were just as confused and also had their plates full with backlogs and job cuts.

It looks like maybe the water is slowly finding its level - and the period of real chaos and confusion was for those who applied in 2011 and 2012 when major changes and too many things were happening at around same time - more RQs being given, diff versions of forms, Bulk cancellng of Old applications for those who applied before Feb 2008 etc.

krish ram

Mar 5, 2013
my time line for the RQ before test date.

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on November 4, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on November 4, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on August 22, 2012.

received RQ on August 23rd, 2012 send it back with in 35 days

no test date yet

called call center and they say that i can expect test by Dec 2014.

so keep the fingers crossed and wait

Hi everyone,

I thought to create a new topic for people who receive their RQ before the Citizenship test.

Mine as follows:
Applied 5th Dec 2011
Received 9th Dec 2011
We started processing your application on June 26, 2012
RQ Received on 18th July 2012
No test date yet till date

I will appreciate it if anyone in the same boat would post his/her timeline as it is pretty new to receive RQ before test nowadays.

Cheers
[/quote]

cancan269

Nov 14, 2012
Hello everyone,

I hope someone from Montreal could help with my question. How long does it usually take to process the pre-test RQ in Montreal. I heard people giving different timelines. Some people say it will take a year from the date of submitting the RQ to Montreal's CIC office. Other people say that it could take at least 2-3 years from the date you submit the RQ. This is very confusing. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Thanks a lot.

rq2013

May 17, 2013
Hi All,

Applied: October 1, 2012
In Process: January 8, 2013
Received RQ (from Sydney): Feb 21, 2013
RQ mailed to Scarborough: March xx, 2013
CBSA mailed to Scarborough: April xx, 2013 (i authorized them to fetch it directly)
RQ sent to St-Clair office: April xx, 2013

Before some start asking so many questions:
I had more than 1160 days in Canada
I work for Provincial Gvt (Ontario)
I traveled a lot (short trips to Europe and USA) - less than 30 days in total though
Lots of stamps in my passport prior to coming to Canada
My wife did not get RQ - we traveled out the same amount of time - not many stamps in her passport (EU country)
One kid born in the USA 10 years ago

Conclusion: no algorithm to get RQ. Just deal with it. Was expecting it though.

Note: Not all trips recorded on my CBSA - one day trip from the USA was missing but I reported it.

siki

Dec 16, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/2010
AOR Received.
12/2014
File Transfer...
02/2015
Med's Request
04/2015
Med's Done....
05/2015
rq2013 said:
Hi All,

Applied: October 1, 2012
In Process: January 8, 2013
Received RQ (from Sydney): Feb 21, 2013
RQ mailed to Scarborough: March xx, 2013
CBSA mailed to Scarborough: April xx, 2013 (i authorized them to fetch it directly)
RQ sent to St-Clair office: April xx, 2013

Before some start asking so many questions:
I had more than 1160 days in Canada
I work for Provincial Gvt (Ontario)
I traveled a lot (short trips to Europe and USA) - less than 30 days in total though
Lots of stamps in my passport prior to coming to Canada
My wife did not get RQ - we traveled out the same amount of time - not many stamps in her passport (EU country)
One kid born in the USA 10 years ago

Conclusion: no algorithm to get RQ. Just deal with it. Was expecting it though.

Note: Not all trips recorded on my CBSA - one day trip from the USA was missing but I reported it.
Your timeline is similar to my timeline
Applied July 2012
RQ received Jan 2013
Rq send Feb 2013
Local office scab
File transfered to st Claire mar 2013

yhbuddy

May 18, 2013
Hi, I got a RQ last week from Vancouver CIC. I applied citizenship test on March, 2012.(me and my child, not my husband) I wonder is it different where i got it from?
Now,I'm so confused what should I do... I have some questions.
1. I read about if I consented about travel history from CBSA, I do NOT request it directly from there. I don't know what's mean?
I exactly know my trip to USA(by car) for one week, but I can't remember all my day trips to USA. In my case, if I consented it, I can just write down as I know the date?
(I don't need to ask my travel history at CBSA?)

2.Do I need to prepare for all original documents? or Can I submit copy ones?

3. I'm a home maker since I moved to CANADA. all utilities fee, rental fee, and any kinds of bills are paid by my husband. I have rental agreement documents and Car Insurance for last 4 years(Car insurance is named by my husband too).Is it useful for me? and I need to prepare documents about paid rental fee?( It is also my husband's cheque)

4. I have some documents which I submitted for my children's childcare subsidy, my school attendance, my volunteer practicum, searching job history, and approved childcare subsidy documents. Can I submit it?

5. I wonder I have to submit all about it except one thing? (For examples, history about health treatment)

6. I wonder what they want to check through it?

Pls,let me share you idea. I'm so nervous and so frightened. I don't know what should I do?

rq2013

May 17, 2013
@yhbuddy
Do not panic and be meticulous. Take each question and make sure you provide what it's being asked. It might help to sort your supporting documents by question.

1. About CBSA report
Consent on the form but still ask it to CBSA. As you do not remember all your day trips, it will surely help you. Go through each page of your passport (you need to mail them a copy and have all pages translated in english if you have stamps that are not in english or french) and make sure you account for all trips. It could help to build a spreadsheet on which you put same info as RQ plus passport page. Keep a copy of CBSA report for your records before mailing it. You can mail your RQ without it. Once you have it, you make a safe copy, build that thorough spreadsheet, write a cover explaining you did your best to remember your day trips and that is the updated list of your absences, attach the report and mail the whole thing.

2. Copies are good. If you have to translate your passport, keep a copy of the translation for your record.

3. Rental agreement has your name so that is fine. Make sure you have all the rental agreements since you came to Canada. You can show some cheque images to prove that rent has been paid. Don't put too many, two per year should be enough. Your bank might charge you for that. Make sure you nailed down the cheque # and cheque amount. You should be able to search for those from your online banking.

For the car insurance, you must be on the policy as an occasional driver right ? In which case you could make a copy of each of the insurance policy you can find.

4. You need to go their school and get an attendance report. They should not charge you for that. Are you talking about CCTB? You need to add your notice of assessments as well for each year you have been in Canada.

5. I think, in the last question or so they ask for your health report. In Ontario, we get it from the provincial gvt. I am sure in BC you can too. It might take some time. So go to your doctor and ask him to pull all your appointments from the period indicated in your RQ. Of course, he or she will charge you for that :)

6. They do not want to check through it. They want to see whether you were in Canada. Being in Canada means i guess, visiting your doctor, attending school/working etc ...

7. You said you attended school. get a school attendance report card for you as well.

Take through each question step by step. They state what kind of proof they want. Make sure to collect those.

For each question, I had an envelope with a cover sheet; I sated what I included. I highlighted the relevant piece of information as well.

I hope this helps.

yhbuddy

May 18, 2013
rq2013 said:
@ yhbuddy
Do not panic and be meticulous. Take each question and make sure you provide what it's being asked. It might help to sort your supporting documents by question.

1. About CBSA report
Consent on the form but still ask it to CBSA. As you do not remember all your day trips, it will surely help you. Go through each page of your passport (you need to mail them a copy and have all pages translated in english if you have stamps that are not in english or french) and make sure you account for all trips. It could help to build a spreadsheet on which you put same info as RQ plus passport page. Keep a copy of CBSA report for your records before mailing it. You can mail your RQ without it. Once you have it, you make a safe copy, build that thorough spreadsheet, write a cover explaining you did your best to remember your day trips and that is the updated list of your absences, attach the report and mail the whole thing.

2. Copies are good. If you have to translate your passport, keep a copy of the translation for your record.

3. Rental agreement has your name so that is fine. Make sure you have all the rental agreements since you came to Canada. You can show some cheque images to prove that rent has been paid. Don't put too many, two per year should be enough. Your bank might charge you for that. Make sure you nailed down the cheque # and cheque amount. You should be able to search for those from your online banking.

For the car insurance, you must be on the policy as an occasional driver right ? In which case you could make a copy of each of the insurance policy you can find.

4. You need to go their school and get an attendance report. They should not charge you for that. Are you talking about CCTB? You need to add your notice of assessments as well for each year you have been in Canada.

5. I think, in the last question or so they ask for your health report. In Ontario, we get it from the provincial gvt. I am sure in BC you can too. It might take some time. So go to your doctor and ask him to pull all your appointments from the period indicated in your RQ. Of course, he or she will charge you for that :)

6. They do not want to check through it. They want to see whether you were in Canada. Being in Canada means i guess, visiting your doctor, attending school/working etc ...

7. You said you attended school. get a school attendance report card for you as well.

Take through each question step by step. They state what kind of proof they want. Make sure to collect those.

For each question, I had an envelope with a cover sheet; I sated what I included. I highlighted the relevant piece of information as well.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for your great information. It is very helpful to preparing for me. I'm still worrying, but I hope everything will be fine.

scorpion_ca

May 31, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was wondering is there anyone who submitted Citizenship application along with CRA Notice of Assessments (last 3 or 4 years), current employment letter, and T4s for previous employment but received RQ. Thanks!

fromoc

May 30, 2013
yhbuddy said:
Thanks for your great information. It is very helpful to preparing for me. I'm still worrying, but I hope everything will be fine.
Just wanted to share my timeline:
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on November 29, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on November 29, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on July 17, 2012.

We sent you a letter on July 17, 2012. (I moved from Toronto to Vancouver - so did not get this letter since they sent it to Toronto)

We sent you a letter on August 7, 2012. (This letter asked me to fill out the days I was out of Canada in the 3 years since application since in the initial application I had mentioned that I did not remember the exact # days I was in the US but did mention that those trips were weekend trips)...

This was followed by an RQ within a week of submitting the form above. I submitted my RQ in October 2012 (could not get the exact days of travel to US from the Border Agency, but did submit my leases, T4s and bank account transaction info)

We sent you a notice on February 4, 2013 to appear and write the citizenship test on February 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM.

We sent you a notice on May 24, 2013 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on June 14, 2013

look4d

Apr 17, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow , that was fast , I hope I can get the test date soon then, as I am just one month later than you.

Thanks for sharing and Congratulations

leafchi

Jun 3, 2013
Hello everyone, I would to share my timeline for Pre-test RQ case handled in Vancouver.

Application Package Received: September 22, 2011

Application first became in Process: September 18, 2012

Issue of a Pre-test RQ: October 16, 2012 from Vancouver CIC office

Completed RQ Package Submitted: November 08, 2012

Test Date: June 5th, 2013

Oath Date: TBA

rq2013

May 17, 2013
leafchi said:
Hello everyone, I would to share my timeline for Pre-test RQ case handled in Vancouver.

Application Package Received: September 22, 2011

Application first became in Process: September 18, 2012

Issue of a Pre-test RQ: October 16, 2012 from Vancouver CIC office

Completed RQ Package Submitted: November 08, 2012

Test Date: June 5th, 2013

Oath Date: TBA
One pre-test to have a test; 6 months after sending RQ documents.
Shall we all move to Vancouver :)

muppala

Oct 13, 2009
fromoc said:
Just wanted to share my timeline:
We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on November 29, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on November 29, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on July 17, 2012.

We sent you a letter on July 17, 2012. (I moved from Toronto to Vancouver - so did not get this letter since they sent it to Toronto)

We sent you a letter on August 7, 2012. (This letter asked me to fill out the days I was out of Canada in the 3 years since application since in the initial application I had mentioned that I did not remember the exact # days I was in the US but did mention that those trips were weekend trips)...

This was followed by an RQ within a week of submitting the form above. I submitted my RQ in October 2012 (could not get the exact days of travel to US from the Border Agency, but did submit my leases, T4s and bank account transaction info)

We sent you a notice on February 4, 2013 to appear and write the citizenship test on February 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM.

We sent you a notice on May 24, 2013 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on June 14, 2013
Hello Formoc,

Congrats. I am wondering if I may ask

what is your cic office ? Mine got moved from mississauga to St. Clair, when I was issued RQ and I have submitted my RQ paper work on Oct 29th, when I Called up CIC, I was told, my RQ file is being reviewed.

Did you got a letter or update in ecas or voice mail from CIC on oath, I just want to watch out for communication.

I got RQ when I wrote my citizenship test, and RQ details are not updated in ecas at all.

Here is the update from my case

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 14, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on December 14, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on July 5, 2012.

We sent you a notice on August 21, 2012 to appear and write the citizenship test on September 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.

fromoc

May 30, 2013
CIC Office = Vancouver (I was told by the call center that it takes longer to process applications if you live in/around Toronto.....)
Got a letter from the local CIC office to take the oath....the online status was also updated the same day that I got the letter...
I guess I got lucky in that I moved from Toronto to Vancouver just as they were transferring my file from Sydney to the local office. In any case, it all works out in the end...I didn't even send them all the info they requested in the RQ form, yet it all worked out.

All the best.

muppala said:
Hello Formoc,

Congrats. I am wondering if I may ask

what is your cic office ? Mine got moved from mississauga to St. Clair, when I was issued RQ and I have submitted my RQ paper work on Oct 29th, when I Called up CIC, I was told, my RQ file is being reviewed.

Did you got a letter or update in ecas or voice mail from CIC on oath, I just want to watch out for communication.

I got RQ when I wrote my citizenship test, and RQ details are not updated in ecas at all.

Here is the update from my case

We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on December 14, 2011.

We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on December 14, 2011. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

We started processing your application on July 5, 2012.

We sent you a notice on August 21, 2012 to appear and write the citizenship test on September 17, 2012 at 1:00 PM. The notice you will receive by mail will be your official confirmation of your appointment. If you have not received this notice prior to the date of your scheduled appointment, please contact us.