+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO met, should I apply for pr card renewal by myself or through consultant.

dps86

Jan 19, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone help me out with my little concern.
So, my pr card expired back in August 2021, at that time my days were short.
Now I have more than 730 days, should I apply for renewal by myself or hire an immigration consultant for it.
Don't know if there will be any issue after I apply for renewal.

Otherwise, there was no issue except short days at that time.
I was questioned at the border when I came back in July 2021 from India, but they let me in because at that time my card was still valid, but I don't know if it's been reported or not.

So, should I apply by myself or hire an immigration consultant, what is the suitable option? if anyone can suggest.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

Can anyone help me out with my little concern.
So, my pr card expired back in August 2021, at that time my days were short.
Now I have more than 730 days, should I apply for renewal by myself or hire an immigration consultant for it.
Don't know if there will be any issue after I apply for renewal.

Otherwise, there was no issue except short days at that time.
I was questioned at the border when I came back in July 2021 from India, but they let me in because at that time my card was still valid, but I don't know if it's been reported or not.

So, should I apply by myself or hire an immigration consultant, what is the suitable option? if anyone can suggest.
You would know if a 44(1) report had been created.

IMHO, you do not need a consultant's help. You've already successfully navigated through the initial PR approval process; renewing your PR Card is substantially easier. All you (basically) have to do is show that you have met the Residency Obligation!

dps86

Jan 19, 2016
You would know if a 44(1) report had been created.

IMHO, you do not need a consultant's help. You've already successfully navigated through the initial PR approval process; renewing your PR Card is substantially easier. All you (basically) have to do is show that you have met the Residency Obligation!
Sorry, but how would I know that 44(1) report has been created or not?
Haven't got any notice after I entered Canada that time.
Is there any way to check?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry, but how would I know that 44(1) report has been created or not?
Haven't got any notice after I entered Canada that time.
Is there any way to check?
If the CBSA officer created a report, you would have likely received it before you were allowed to enter Canada. If the report was written afterwards (and was reviewed and agreed to by a second officer acting as a Minster's Delegate) you would have known about it, somehow. Since you have NOT heard anything, that seems to be a good sign.

You could probably call CBSA and ask them.

1-800-461-9999

dps86

Jan 19, 2016
If the CBSA officer created a report, you would have likely received it before you were allowed to enter Canada. If the report was written afterwards (and was reviewed and agreed to by a second officer acting as a Minster's Delegate) you would have known about it, somehow. Since you have NOT heard anything, that seems to be a good sign.

You could probably call CBSA and ask them.

1-800-461-9999
Thanks for the Info.
1 last question - After I submit my application, is there any chance they can ask me, why you have not applied in 2021, since your card expiry date was Aug 2021. Is that a relevant question?
Sorry if asking too much, little worried.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks for the Info.
1 last question - After I submit my application, is there any chance they can ask me, why you have not applied in 2021, since your card expiry date was Aug 2021. Is that a relevant question?
Sorry if asking too much, little worried.
No. A PR doesn't need a non expired PR card if they do not plan to travel outside of Canada and need a valid card to return by flight.

dps86

Jan 19, 2016
No. A PR doesn't need a non expired PR card if they do not plan to travel outside of Canada and need a valid card to return by flight.
Okay.
So you mean a permanent resident can stay in Canada with expired pr card as long as he wants to & only need a valid pr card in case of travelling outside or returning to Canada.
He can renew his card whenever he wants to.

Reactions: YVR123

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
While @YVR123 is correct that a valid card is not [really] needed for a PR living in Canada, what happens if/when there is an emergency that requires to PR to abruptly leave Canada (family emergency, for example)? Without a valid PR card, most PRs would not be able to return via a commercial carrier and would likely have to return via the U.S., entering Canada at a land PoE in a personal vehicle, or on foot. What a pain THAT would be!

Or...what if you simply want to take a vacation outside of Canada? Same would apply.

You would need to apply for a PRTD (outside of Canada) to be able to return via a commercial carrier. A couple of members, here, have recently reported that they were `told ' by IRCC agents, representatives or simply phone clerks, that they can apply for a PRTD while in Canada, before leaving for their trip, but nothing has been updated on the IRCC website to confirm this.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Okay.
So you mean a permanent resident can stay in Canada with expired pr card as long as he wants to & only need a valid pr card in case of travelling outside or returning to Canada.
He can renew his card whenever he wants to.
Yes.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
While @YVR123 is correct that a valid card is not [really] needed for a PR living in Canada, what happens if/when there is an emergency that requires to PR to abruptly leave Canada (family emergency, for example)? Without a valid PR card, most PRs would not be able to return via a commercial carrier and would likely have to return via the U.S., entering Canada at a land PoE in a personal vehicle, or on foot. What a pain THAT would be!

Or...what if you simply want to take a vacation outside of Canada? Same would apply.
I think the contxt of the question was that there should be no questions about not having had a PR card for some time or even many many years. You are simply not required to have one.

Yes, there are good reasons to have one - like travel - but when applying for a card after not having had one for some time, there should be no issue. (Assuming no other circumstances or factors)

Reactions: YVR123 and Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the contxt of the question was that there should be no questions about not having had a PR card for some time or even many many years. You are simply not required to have one.

Yes, there are good reasons to have one - like travel - but when applying for a card after not having had one for some time, there should be no issue. (Assuming no other circumstances or factors)
Agreed. I was merely expanding to mention the obvious hurdle, should the OP want/need to leave Canada without a valid PR Card.

Reactions: armoured