4-3-2015
Passport Req..
Praying and hoping soon...
VISA ISSUED...
Praying and hoping soon..
LANDED..........
To all Masters,

I would like to asked about my case. I landed wayback January 31, 2012 and my card expiry is March 15, 2017. I stayed for 90 days when i first landed then 10days last January 2014. Im coming back on March 10. I have some questions:

1. Will I be meeting my RO before January 31, 2017? Is there any problem entering on March?
2. Can I sponsor my husband and son? Doubting that if i file the sponsorhip they will receive the application in later time (June 2015)of this year and if they based that month I could not meet RO. Is it like that or at the time Im coming back on March they will based the RO?

Thank you and Im hoping for your reply.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
radfellow said:
To all Masters,

I would like to asked about my case. I landed wayback January 31, 2012 and my card expiry is March 15, 2017. I stayed for 90 days when i first landed then 10days last January 2014. Im coming back on March 10. I have some questions:

1. Will I be meeting my RO before January 31, 2017? Is there any problem entering on March?
As long as you have not been outside Canada for a total of 3 years, then you should be ok for meeting RO. Based on your travel history it looks like when you come back on March 10 you will have been away for just less than 3 years, so yes you would be meeting your RO.

Basically if you haven't returned to Canada by around May 10, 2015 (approx)... that is when you would no longer meet RO.

2. Can I sponsor my husband and son? Doubting that if i file the sponsorhip they will receive the application in later time (June 2015)of this year and if they based that month I could not meet RO. Is it like that or at the time Im coming back on March they will based the RO?
As long as you meet RO when you arrived back to Canada, you should have no problems submitting a family class app for your husband and son (I assume you got married and had your son AFTER you did your own PR application).

Note that as PR you must stay resident in Canada during their PR application processing. If they are not visa-exempt to Canada and can't get a TRV, then your husband and son will need to stay in their home country while you remain in Canada. You are allowed to leave for short/temporary vacations to visit, but you'll need to keep in mind your RO and that you must never exceed the total 3 years outside Canada. So keep track of all your days since you first landed, very carefully.

radfellow

Star Member
Nov 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-4-2015
AOR Received.
22-5-2015
File Transfer...
6-7-2015
Med's Done....
4-3-2015
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you very much Sir Rob for a very detailed and clear explanation.. :) By the way im single when my FSw pr was approved wayback January 2012 and married august 2012 and had son by aug. 2013. Can I apply a Tourist Visa and PR at the same time for them?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
As has already been observed, you are approaching the cutoff for compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. Many PRs in similar situations encounter contingencies which delay their planned return to Canada, with the result that they end up in breach of the PR Residency Obligation. Given the trend at CIC and CBSA to more aggressively and strictly enforce the PR Residency Obligation, it would be prudent to return to Canada as soon as feasible.

radfellow said:
Thank you very much Sir Rob for a very detailed and clear explanation.. :) By the way im single when my FSw pr was approved wayback January 2012 and married august 2012 and had son by aug. 2013. Can I apply a Tourist Visa and PR at the same time for them?
For purposes of your partner qualifying to be sponsored, the critical question is not whether you were single as of the date you were approved for the FSW PR visa, but whether you were single as of the date you landed and became a PR.

While obviously the marriage is dated after landing, but since it appears you were in a conjugal relationship prior to landing, be aware that in the process of a sponsorship application there can be a question of fact as to whether or not you were cohabitating in a conjugal relationship prior to landing and should have declared the relationship prior to landing. Obviously, the sponsorship application will require divulging the details of your relationship including respective addresses. Good idea to be aware of this while you focus on proving the duration and genuineness of the relationship.

Yes, an application for a Visitor's visa pending the processing of a concurrent sponsored PR visa may be successful, allowing your family members to come to Canada while the PR visa application is pending. CIC does explicitly acknowledge that individuals in these circumstances may have what is called dual-intent, meaning the intent to only be a visitor notwithstanding also seeking status to live in Canada permanently. However, there is no guarantee CIC will grant the visitor visas. There is currently a high-profile case in the media about a couple, both PRs, who were abroad when their child was born, whose application for a visitor visa for the child was denied, so the couple had to come to Canada (I assume they too were running into a potential PR Residency Obligation issue) and leave the child behind while the sponsorship application is pending. For more input about this issue see forums and topics for family class sponsorships, and raise this question there. This is a fairly common issue. How it goes appears to vary considerably.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dpenabill said:
While obviously the marriage is dated after landing, but since it appears you were in a conjugal relationship prior to landing, be aware that in the process of a sponsorship application there can be a question of fact as to whether or not you were cohabitating in a conjugal relationship prior to landing and should have declared the relationship prior to landing. Obviously, the sponsorship application will require divulging the details of your relationship including respective addresses. Good idea to be aware of this while you focus on proving the duration and genuineness of the relationship.
More specifically, a PR that landed as single must not be common-law, or have lived together with a partner for 12 consecutive months, before their own PR landing.

It's ok if she was dating/in a conjugal relationship with someone, and even living with them for a while. As long as that living together was not for 12 months I don't think CIC would care. In cases of long relationships or ones with children involved, CIC often tries to claim that a PR was common-law with a partner they are later sponsoring, and puts the onus on sponsor/applicant to prove they weren't common-law. But as far as I know there are no rules about simply being in a conjugal relationship with someone and landing as single. Please correct if i'm wrong.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Rob_TO said:
More specifically, a PR that landed as single must not be common-law, or have lived together with a partner for 12 consecutive months, before their own PR landing.

It's ok if she was dating/in a conjugal relationship with someone, and even living with them for a while. As long as that living together was not for 12 months I don't think CIC would care. In cases of long relationships or ones with children involved, CIC often tries to claim that a PR was common-law with a partner they are later sponsoring, and puts the onus on sponsor/applicant to prove they weren't common-law. But as far as I know there are no rules about simply being in a conjugal relationship with someone and landing as single. Please correct if i'm wrong.
As I suggested to the OP, if you have a question about family class sponsorships, better to ask in a forum/topic where that is the subject of discussion. That said, I'd expect a fair amount of discussion about this issue already exists in those forums/conferences/topics about family class. Moreover, this is the sort of issue for which analysis in the abstract tends to be more a distraction than informative. For purposes of the OP's query here, a heads-up alert, given that it is apparent there was at least a conjugal relationship prior to landing and recognizing that CIC will make its own inferences based on its evaluation of the evidence, was due, and given.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dpenabill said:
As I suggested to the OP, if you have a question about family class sponsorships, better to ask in a forum/topic where that is the subject of discussion. That said, I'd expect a fair amount of discussion about this issue already exists in those forums/conferences/topics about family class. Moreover, this is the sort of issue for which analysis in the abstract tends to be more a distraction than informative. For purposes of the OP's query here, a heads-up alert, given that it is apparent there was at least a conjugal relationship prior to landing and recognizing that CIC will make its own inferences based on its evaluation of the evidence, was due, and given.
Common consensus on the topic from family class forum where this issue has come up, is that only officially common-law or married people need to "land" according to that status. Simply being in a conjugal relationship with someone you could mention in your PR application, but if you haven't actually lived with the person for specifically 12 months yet, in this case it would be ok to land as "single".

radfellow

Star Member
Nov 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-4-2015
AOR Received.
22-5-2015
File Transfer...
6-7-2015
Med's Done....
4-3-2015
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you all for your replies. Im not in conjugal relationship to my husband before I landed Canada as I met him again only after I landed, a former classmate and is a short bf/gf relationship to married couples.

josuetenista

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V -> CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2013
AOR Received.
12-12-2013
Rob_TO said:

I was living with my couple back in our country since 03/2012 and then she landed in Canada as PR 07/2012. Then I came here to canada and we got married in Ontario on 07/2013 and we sent our inland sponsorship application package on 11/2013. We haven't heard back from then since then, at the moment they are processing Sept 2013 applications. Do you think the fact that I putted that I started living with my wife 03/2012 is gonna affect my application. We never got married in our home country...thanks for your help

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
josuetenista said:
I was living with my couple back in our country since 03/2012 and then she landed in Canada as PR 07/2012. Then I came here to canada and we got married in Ontario on 07/2013 and we sent our inland sponsorship application package on 11/2013. We haven't heard back from then since then, at the moment they are processing Sept 2013 applications. Do you think the fact that I putted that I started living with my wife 03/2012 is gonna affect my application. We never got married in our home country...thanks for your help
At the time she landed you had only been living together for 4 months, so that does not give the relationship any legal status (common-law or spouse). You were just girlfriend/boyfriend, so it was fine to land as "single" in that case.

So you shouldn't have any problem, unless CIC thinks you were living together since 07/2011.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Regarding sponsoring PRs who are in an undisclosed conjugal relationship prior to landing.

I offer no conclusions, no guess, just some contextual observations:

Questions about the marital status of a PR at time of landing, for purposes of whether a partner (spouse) is qualified to be sponsored by that PR, should be asked and discussed in the relevant conferences and topics for family sponsorship immigration.

While many participants in this conference probably have a significant amount of background information regarding this issue, the more current, up-to-date discussions should be taking place in forum conferences specifically about partner class sponsorships. Family class sponsorship is is an area in which change is common, particularly so in regards to the approach CIC takes relative to this or that issue. Additionally, for those who follow the litigation decisions, the more recent cases tend to reflect the direction CIC has been trending.

Since this is an issue that depends to a great extent on how CIC perceives things, on what CIC infers and concludes, it is particularly important to look for the most current observations.

That said, of course the key issue is well-known --

-- at any time prior to landing, right up to the time of landing, was the sponsor in a relationship with the sponsored partner which should have been disclosed?

Some may frame the issue focused on the legal conclusion, the conclusion as to whether or not the landing PR's relationship met CIC's criteria for being a qualified relationship, thus compelling the partner to have been included in the application, and if not included thereafter forever barred from being sponsored by that PR. To my view, it is a mistake to focus on the legal conclusion. That is, for example, it is a mistake to rely on a self-assessed conclusion that the relationship did not qualify for inclusion in the application.

In contrast, I have seen scores of cases in which couples were in a commited and conjugal relationship before the one who had already applied for PR landed, and upon submitting the sponsored partner PR application later go to great lengths to document the level of commitment and duration of their relationship, to well-establish the relationship is genuine, and inadvertently set out facts and circumstances which have caused CIC to question whether or not the relationship was one which the landing PR was obligated to disclose.

This is another one of those areas in which it warrants a reminder that CIC does not have a crystal ball. CIC must look at the evidence, the facts and circumstances, and then judge all the facts and circumstances, as CIC has perceived them to be, and make inferences, reach conclusions.

And CIC can, and often will draw different inferences, reach different conclusions, than those made by its clients.

In any event, I have not kept up with how CIC has actually decided cases in this area, so I cannot offer even a guess as to how it will go for those who might slip into the scope of CIC's scrutiny for having failed to disclose a relationship prior to landing. It is my sense that for any couple who were in a conjugal relationship prior to landing, and in particular in a conjugal relationship and cohabitating for a significant length of time, this is an issue to be considered and carefully thought-through. I say this recognizing that the legal threshold for what constitutes a common-law relationship recognized as such by CIC is a minimum full year of cohabitation, but I don't think the client's accounting controls the inferences and conclusions CIC might reach.

Overall: I doubt CIC approaches this issue looking for grounds to deny legitimate couples. My observations should not be interpreted to be alarmist just because there was a relationship already well in progress before the first of the couple landed as a PR. My observation is a heads-up. A caution to be aware of the potential pitfall of going a bit overboard in showing how long and committed the couple have been in a relationship.

The tipping point is probably nebulous, if not impossible to define: if CIC perceives there was a deliberate plan along the lines of you-go-first-and-sponsor-me-later, that could dramatically affect how CIC weighs the evidence, draws inferences, and makes conclusions.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dpenabill, can you show any cases from CanLII or other sources, that show any actual situations where CIC has tried to ban someone from sponsorship just due to being conjugal, and not legally common-law or married at the time of landing?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Rob_TO said:
dpenabill, can you show any cases from CanLII or other sources, that show any actual situations where CIC has tried to ban someone from sponsorship just due to being conjugal, and not legally common-law or married at the time of landing?
Yes. See the Cai case, for example, which illustrates the contrast between the broad lens sometimes used by CIC versus the Federal Court, which allowed leave to appeal and sent the matter back for a redetermination for CIC to examine if the relationship prior to the sponsor's landing was one in which, at the relevant time (that is prior to the landing), the sponsor shared a “mutual commitment to a shared life” and “enjoyed a permanent long-term relationship” . . . " with the sponsored partner.

There are other cases, but they tend to be like that regarding the Krauchankas (appearing in both an IAD and a Federal Court decision) in which the facts are contested and what ultimately determines the outcome depends on what CIC (and then the IAD) determines the facts to be. For the Krauchankas, for example, the sponsor asserted that the relationship prior to becoming a PR "did not amount to cohabitation." CIC and the IAD, however, determined otherwise (while the underlying facts are minimally revealed in the decisions, it appears that CIC relied extensively on admissions made by the sponsored partner in an interview).

Among one of the more salient cases brought up in forum discussions, was that in which a couple ran into a problem with this had been boarding in the same dormitory for foreign workers, but were not actually living together in that dormitory, and indeed the dormitory required gender separation . . . most who responded to their queries, including me as I recall, suggested they obtain and submit (in their appeal from the denial of the sponsored PR application) statements from the employer, on the employer's letterhead, describing the dormitory as such, as an accomodation for foreign workers in separate rooms, and the policy of not allowing mixed gender sharing of rooms, to further document their own statements to that same effect, to prove that while they had developed a very close relationship while there (they met there after the PR already had the Canadian PR application in process), and had the same "address" during that period of time, they were not "cohabitating," that they had not established a common household. I do not recall seeing any follow-up report from this couple, that is as to whether or not the appeal was successful.

Beyond that, though, I do not understand what you mean by "legally common-law," since by definition a common-law relationship is de facto, not de jure, and generally the legality of the relationship is irrelevant.

Remember, CIC recognizes the existence of a common-law relationship based on facts NOT law (again, common-law is a de facto marriage not a "legal" marriage, not a "marriage in law"). Note, in particular, very often CIC will recognize a common-law relationship even though common-law relationships are NOT even legally allowed, let alone recognized, in the jurisdiction where the sponsor and sponsored partner lived together.

In any event, for this issue, the point of the heads-up is that if a couple was in a conjugal relationship prior to the sponsor landing, there is a risk CIC will take notice and focus on ascertaining whether there was a relationship which should have been disclosed prior to landing. For couples who clearly did not live together, it is an easy call, no problem. For many, however, it is often not so clear, not so obvious. And that is where the role of CIC comes in, a total stranger bureaucrat looking at all the facts and circumstances and making inferences, drawing conclusions. In the foreign worker dormitory case, for example, they had diligently detailed the extent to which they were in a committed relationship in order to show the relationship was genuine, overlooking the possibility that CIC would consider that level of commitment in conjunction with other facts and circumstances to conclude they were in a relationship the sponsor was required to disclose.

Note that in a number of cases the conjugal nature of the relationship, prior to the sponsor landing, is indicated, or comes-to-light one might say, due to a child born of the relationship; other times it is the concurrence of residential addresses; but of course the range of contexts which indicate a committed relationship varies as much as the lives of people all over the world vary, as in greatly.

Otherwise, as I have already stated:

dpenabill said:
Overall: I doubt CIC approaches this issue looking for grounds to deny legitimate couples. My observations should not be interpreted to be alarmist just because there was a relationship already well in progress before the first of the couple landed as a PR. My observation is a heads-up. A caution to be aware of the potential pitfall of going a bit overboard in showing how long and committed the couple have been in a relationship.

The tipping point is probably nebulous, if not impossible to define: if CIC perceives there was a deliberate plan along the lines of you-go-first-and-sponsor-me-later, that could dramatically affect how CIC weighs the evidence, draws inferences, and makes conclusions.
Regarding the last observation just quoted, the older cases (many in 2005, 2006) tend to focus on whether there was a deliberate choice to deceive or conceal. The jurisprudence eventually clearly went in the direction that intent was irrelevant, it did not matter if the sponsor was deliberately attempting to deceive or conceal, what matters is whether the sponsored person was in a relationship with the sponsor that was required to be disclosed and was not disclosed. This goes to the point that even a child who a sponsoring father did not know had been born is precluded by regulation section 117(9)(d).

That said, it is apparent that what is likely to tip the scales, in terms of how deep and far CIC goes digging, how negatively CIC interprets the facts and makes inferences, can depend a lot on whether, as I noted, CIC perceives there was a deliberate plan along the lines of you-go-first-and-sponsor-me-later.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
dpenabill said:
Yes. See the Cai case, for example, which illustrates the contrast between the broad lens sometimes used by CIC versus the Federal Court, which allowed leave to appeal and sent the matter back for a redetermination for CIC to examine if the relationship prior to the sponsor's landing was one in which, at the relevant time (that is prior to the landing), the sponsor shared a “mutual commitment to a shared life” and “enjoyed a permanent long-term relationship” . . . " with the sponsored partner.
This case doesn't really qualify for what I asked, since the immigration officer was not simply claiming they had been in a conjugal relationship, the immigration officer refused their app because he felt they were in a common-law relationship. The issue here is whether the time spent living together in a residence house for over 12 months, counted as true cohabitation.

If the couple had not been living at a common address for over 12 months, there would not have been an issue.

There are other cases, but they tend to be like that regarding the Krauchankas (appearing in both an IAD and a Federal Court decision) in which the facts are contested and what ultimately determines the outcome depends on what CIC (and then the IAD) determines the facts to be. For the Krauchankas, for example, the sponsor asserted that the relationship prior to becoming a PR "did not amount to cohabitation." CIC and the IAD, however, determined otherwise (while the underlying facts are minimally revealed in the decisions, it appears that CIC relied extensively on admissions made by the sponsored partner in an interview).
This case also doesn't qualify, since the immigration officer rejected the app based on the discovery they had cohabited for 21 months before his immigration to Canada.

So again this is a case of CIC thinking a couple was common-law, and not simply a conjugal couple.

I still have yet to see a case, let alone a case that CIC was successful in, that involves an accusation that an individual landing as single when they were in a true conjugal, but NOT common-law, relationship. i.e. one in which there was no cohabitation accusation that that couple had lived together 12 months or longer. So would be interested to see any court record of a case involving no cohabitation, or anything less than 12 months cohabitation.

Beyond that, though, I do not understand what you mean by "legally common-law," since by definition a common-law relationship is de facto, not de jure, and generally the legality of the relationship is irrelevant.
What I mean is that when it comes to common-law or marriage, there are clear, legal, factual, specific, etc definitions from CIC. If you have done a legal marriage, you are married. If you have cohabited for 12 months as a couple, you are common-law. The definitions are specific and not open to interpretation (what is open to interpretation sometimes is situations that meet cohabitation such as in a rooming house, but that is a whole other issue).

Now when it comes to conjugal, there is no specific definition given by CIC. Whether a couple qualifies as just bf/gf, or a true conjugal couple, is completely up to interpretation of either the couple or the immigration officer. There is no specific number of days of cohabitation required less than 12 months, that would make someone a factual conjugal couple before they have become common-law.

As such, CIC in these cases of people landing as single and not declaring family members, are looking for factual married or common-law couples, not conjugal couples. All the court cases revolve around trying to prove the couple was cohabiting over 12 months so should have been declared as common-law. The wording in CIC manuals opens the door that CIC can go after conjugal couples if they want, but I still haven't seen any cases of this, and imagine no cases would be successful if appealed since the definition of conjugal is not based on any specific facts or legal definitions.

That being said though, I've often advised people submitting a PR app that have a very long term relationship with someone they are not cohabiting with, to simply mention the relationship in their PR app but that they don't qualify under common-law or married. Then let CIC make the determination if they want them medically examined and included in the application.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Frankly I am not following what you are getting at.

Thus, for clarity, here is a summary of what I have posted:

For sponsors who were in a conjugal relationship with the person being sponsored prior to the sponsor landing, it would be prudent to recognize that CIC may examine the facts to determine whether or not (in CIC's judgment) the sponsor was in a relationship which required disclosure prior to the sponsor landing.

The cases illustrate that in such instances CIC makes its own assessment of the facts, and draws its own conclusions.

The cases and reports further illustrate this can become an issue even though the sponsor and applicant did not consider themselves to be in a common-law relationship.

Overall, generally, CIC will not deem a partner to be barred from sponsorship unless CIC determines the partner and sponsor were in a common-law or marital relationship prior to the sponsor landing. BUT that is a legal conclusion made by CIC based on CIC's own assessment of the facts, and couples who are in a conjugal relationship prior to one landing as a PR should be aware that the fact of the conjugal relationship may indeed trigger CIC's scrutiny . . . and again, my sense is that one of the factors more likely to tip the scales toward CIC exploring this issue, digging deeper (as it did for the Krauchankas, probing the issue in an interview with the applicant), is CIC's perception that there was an overt plan along the lines of you-go-first-and-sponsor-me-later.

Otherwise:

If you are looking for cases which in which CIC overtly makes a decision inconsistent with its policy and practices, as required by statute and regulation, all I can suggest is doing the research yourself.