+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada through the USA with expired PR.

Irfan-ul-haq

Nov 9, 2023
Hello dear Fellows,

My PR Card got Expired in 2019 September and I didn't put application for its renewal as I didn't meet RO. Unfortunately, I had to leave Canada in November 2019 at the death of my father back in my home country. Now, I want to come back to Canada and get things settled.

I am quite confused if I can enter Canada through the USA and get my PR renewed on Humanitarian and Compassion grounds. if YES, please guide me what doc I need to bring with me other than my expired PR. My first travel doc that I received in 2014 is missing.

I would really appreciate if someone takes time to guide me

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello dear Fellows,

My PR Card got Expired in 2019 September and I didn't put application for its renewal as I didn't meet RO. Unfortunately, I had to leave Canada in November 2019 at the death of my father back in my home country. Now, I want to come back to Canada and get things settled.

I am quite confused if I can enter Canada through the USA and get my PR renewed on Humanitarian and Compassion grounds. if YES, please guide me what doc I need to bring with me other than my expired PR. My first travel doc that I received in 2014 is missing.

Sorry to hear your loss, however, I'm not sure what H & C grounds since your dad passed away 4 years ago.

Btw, why couldn't you return to Canada in Jan. 2020?

Irfan-ul-haq

Nov 9, 2023
My mother was going through a very emotional trauma and since she is very old and I am the one who takes care of her... so I stayed with her and then Covid came.... my wife and kids were to be taken care of as well.... so things went quite tough and I had to stay here.. now my mother is bit stable and my wife is taking this responsibility to take care of her while I am away and eventually, I will take her and my family to Canada with me .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My mother was going through a very emotional trauma and since she is very old and I am the one who takes care of her... so I stayed with her and then Covid came.... my wife and kids were to be taken care of as well.... so things went quite tough and I had to stay here.. now my mother is bit stable and my wife is taking this responsibility to take care of her while I am away and eventually, I will take her and my family to Canada with me .
How much time has you spent in Canada before 2019? Were you working during that time? If you landed in 2014 you should have been applying to renew your PR card in 2019 when you left Canada had you been compliant with your RO for the first 5 years. Whether you were ever compliant with your RO and what ties you established to Canada could have an impact on whether you would get reported. Do you have a US visa? Your father passed in 2019 so you spent 3-4 years in your home country instead of trying to return to Canada knowing that your PR card was expired. It’s unclear whether you were ever compliant with your RO. Do you have other family in your home country especially other siblings that could have supported your mother? Did you get married before or after 2019 and why could your wife not care for your mother at an earlier date if you were anxious to try and retain your PR status? Were you working in your home country since 2019? Did you have children during that period? If so, it would appear as though you were living a relatively normal life in your home country versus Canada and your mother didn’t need you 24/7. What has changed with your mother that will allow her to remain with your wife and children now and eventually on her own if you sponsor your wife and children to come to Canada? If you are able to enter Canada without being reported you will need to commit to living in Canada without leaving for 2.5+ years until you are compliant with your RO and can apply for a new PR card. If reported for not being compliant with your RO and want to attempt to retain your PR status you would have to appeal and should also remain in Canada until the appeal and try to establish a life in Canada. One of the argument for your appeal would be that you are working in Canada and contributing to the Canadian economy. Would not suggest attempting to renew your PR card based on H&C reasons. It appears as though you may not have met your RO in the first 5 years and then remained abroad for 3-4 years after your PR card expired to emotionally support your mother which is a long time. There are very few examples of PR card renewals based on H&C grounds so chances of approval are tough to determine but processing times have been 1.5+ years so waiting until you meet your RO and applying for a new PR card is likely a much better option. It is a much safer option if the goal is to try and retain PR status. I assume you are aware that there is a good chance that you will remain separated from your family for multiple years if you aren’t compliant with your RO and your spouse and children don’t have status in Canada. That should also be factor in your decision to try and return and remain in Canada.

Reactions: Irfan-ul-haq

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello dear Fellows,

So if your PR card expired in 2019 and you didn’t meet RO at that time , exactly why didn’t you meet it at that time ? And exactly how far out of RO were you ?
As well you mentioned bringing your mother here, it’s not so cut & dry . If you use your mother’s situation as to not meeting RO, with the H&C reason, IRCC will put two & two together that when she applies for a TRV, she probably ain’t going home.
If I can put the pieces of the puzzle together, a VO that is trained too, won’t be hard to. If being with your mother is the precedence, then you might want to reconsider where you want to live . But that’s all mute , since you need to get your PR figured out . And I assume you have a US visa , if you don’t , the wait times for an interview are extremely long in some countries. And you’d need to pass the interview

Last edited:

Irfan-ul-haq

Nov 9, 2023
How much time has you spent in Canada before 2019? Were you working during that time? If you landed in 2014 you should have been applying to renew your PR card in 2019 when you left Canada had you been compliant with your RO for the first 5 years. Whether you were ever compliant with your RO and what ties you established to Canada could have an impact on whether you would get reported. Do you have a US visa? Your father passed in 2019 so you spent 3-4 years in your home country instead of trying to return to Canada knowing that your PR card was expired. It’s unclear whether you were ever compliant with your RO. Do you have other family in your home country especially other siblings that could have supported your mother? Did you get married before or after 2019 and why could your wife not care for your mother at an earlier date if you were anxious to try and retain your PR status? Were you working in your home country since 2019? Did you have children during that period? If so, it would appear as though you were living a relatively normal life in your home country versus Canada and your mother didn’t need you 24/7. What has changed with your mother that will allow her to remain with your wife and children now and eventually on her own if you sponsor your wife and children to come to Canada? If you are able to enter Canada without being reported you will need to commit to living in Canada without leaving for 2.5+ years until you are compliant with your RO and can apply for a new PR card. If reported for not being compliant with your RO and want to attempt to retain your PR status you would have to appeal and should also remain in Canada until the appeal and try to establish a life in Canada. One of the argument for your appeal would be that you are working in Canada and contributing to the Canadian economy. Would not suggest attempting to renew your PR card based on H&C reasons. It appears as though you may not have met your RO in the first 5 years and then remained abroad for 3-4 years after your PR card expired to emotionally support your mother which is a long time. There are very few examples of PR card renewals based on H&C grounds so chances of approval are tough to determine but processing times have been 1.5+ years so waiting until you meet your RO and applying for a new PR card is likely a much better option. It is a much safer option if the goal is to try and retain PR status. I assume you are aware that there is a good chance that you will remain separated from your family for multiple years if you aren’t compliant with your RO and your spouse and children don’t have status in Canada. That should also be factor in your decision to try and return and remain in Canada.