+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada permanently

traveller123

Nov 3, 2008
I have dual UK and Canadian citizenship. I am currently living near Manchester UK and have a valid UK passport
and a Canadian Citizenship card. Can I fly to Canada on my UK passport and use my Canadian citizenship card
to enter and STAY in Canada. Or do I have to get a Canadian passport from London first.
I am paranoid my citizenship card could be lost in the application process. It apparently takes months to replace if lost.
So I would prefer to apply for my Canadian passport once I am back in Canada.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The Canadian citizenship card is not a travel document. That's what I was told anyway. They probably would not deny you entry though if you showed up and said you didn't know any better but correct response would be to apply for a passport first and use it for your entry. You can also ask about this at the embassy.

traveller123

Nov 3, 2008
Thanks. I was reading a feed that said a Norwegian guy was travelling on a Norwegian
passport and was able to get back into Canada with this and his Cdn Certificate. In other
words the Norwegian passport acted as the 'valid travel document'. I was hoping this was
the case with my UK passport. Many thanks for your feedback.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know that US authorities are absolutely anal about dual citizens using a US passport for travel but I think Canada is a bit more laid back.

traveller123

Nov 3, 2008
Thanks again Leon. I will do as you suggest but at least it sounds like I have a fall back position.
I am off to the embassy next month.......

jamie168227

Feb 9, 2009
Hi my name is Jamie M. Brandt and I use to live in Ontario Canada from 1997 to 2003 and then i moved back to the states where I am from but I want to move back there but I lost my immigration papers that my parents gave me and know I have to renew it and i can't it so my questions is to you is how much is it going to cost to get a new one or can I use passport and birth cert.Please me know what I can do Thank you very much Jamie

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are not making it clear if you are a citizen or a PR. If you are a citizen, you need to contact Canada immigration to get a citizenship card and that you can use to get a Canadian passport. If you were only a PR and had been outside of Canada since 2003, you would have lost your PR status by now.