+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada by air without a PR card

weisizhu

Nov 14, 2015
Hi Guys,

I landed in May as PR but never received my PR card, maybe lost in the mail. I will be traveling by air in October and I am not from a visa-exempt country but still has a work visa that didn't expire. When I read the CIC website it just indicate that if I do not have PR card or TD the airline may refuse me to board the plane, but it does not say anything that the border control officer won't let me enter if I can show my PR status by landing paper instead of PR card.

My question is if I get on the plane successfully by showing the airline I have a valid visa, Would I be able to pass Canadian airport immigration just using my original landing paper and explain to them the situation that I have tried my best effort to get the pr card but it was lost in the mail and I need to wait for a new one?

Thank you very much and I know that I can return by a personal car from the US which I have already tried earlier this month but to save the hassle of changing my flight to Buffalo and let me friend to pick me up at BUF I was wondering if I will no problem reentering canada by using the landing paper only.

Sep 18, 2016
weisizhu said:
Hi Guys,

I landed in May as PR but never received my PR card, maybe lost in the mail. I will be traveling by air in October and I am not from a visa-exempt country but still has a work visa that didn't expire. When I read the CIC website it just indicate that if I do not have PR card or TD the airline may refuse me to board the plane, but it does not say anything that the border control officer won't let me enter if I can show my PR status by landing paper instead of PR card.

My question is if I get on the plane successfully by showing the airline I have a valid visa, Would I be able to pass Canadian airport immigration just using my original landing paper and explain to them the situation that I have tried my best effort to get the pr card but it was lost in the mail and I need to wait for a new one?

Thank you very much and I know that I can return by a personal car from the US which I have already tried earlier this month but to save the hassle of changing my flight to Buffalo and let me friend to pick me up at BUF I was wondering if I will no problem reentering canada by using the landing paper only.
I Suggest raise CSE and take reply from CIC; then show that reply letter to CBSA.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
You understood it correctly: the visa or PR card is for the carrier to authorize boarding, but when you arrive at the border, all you have to do is prove your identity and PR status.

Been discussed in other forums: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/travel-to-us-without-pr-card-but-have-a-copr-and-valid-work-permit-t184510.30.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/urgenthave-to-leave-canada-for-two-weeks-dont-have-a-pr-card-indian-passport-t434665.0.html

weisizhu

Nov 14, 2015
bellaluna said:
You understood it correctly: the visa or PR card is for the carrier to authorize boarding, but when you arrive at the border, all you have to do is prove your identity and PR status.

Been discussed in other forums:
Thank you for your help and linking those two post.

It makes our life much easier!

Thanks a lot.

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
You will likely have problems boarding a flight without a PR card. PR card is proof of your status in Canada and airlines are required to verify your status before boarding otherwise they risk being fined. I have noticed in the last while that airlines are becoming more strict about verifying your status in Canada before allowing you to board a flight.