+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada after 2 years

Anastasia25

Aug 13, 2012
Hello,

We landed in Toronto in May, 2012 and stayed there for only one week, applied for PR cards and returned back to our country. Our PR cards expires on 2017. This summer we intend to return to Canada permanently, but I'm worried about the problems we could have when arriving in Canada. Legally , as I'm informed, we are ok, but the agent will ask many questions. Can he, somehow, stop us from re enter the country?
Can be a problem the fact that we've stayed there only one week? Others similar experiences are very useful for us. We knew from the beginning that we will return after 1,5 - 2 years. Thank you!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
No, you will not have any problems entering the country. It really is THAT simple.

Anastasia25

Aug 13, 2012
Hello,

I have a question: in Canada, you can use your foreign driving licence ( European, in our case) 3 months since you become a PR ,or since you, actually, reside there ( pay rent, have a job, utilities bill, etc) We are returning permanent residents ( PR since May 2012, but didn't stayed there) and need to know if this rule still applies to us or not.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Anastasia25 said:
Hello,

I have a question: in Canada, you can use your foreign driving licence ( European, in our case) 3 months since you become a PR ,or since you, actually, reside there ( pay rent, have a job, utilities bill, etc) We are returning permanent residents ( PR since May 2012, but didn't stayed there) and need to know if this rule still applies to us or not.
The clock starts when you take up any form of "residency", regardless of your immigration status. So, once you have been back for more than the permitted time, your foreign licence needs to be replaced by a provincial licence. The allowed period may vary between provinces. You will need to check. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/after-transportation-driving.asp In Ontario, for example, you only get 60 days. http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-roads/exchange-foreign-drivers-licence The rules for "visitors" are not applicable to "residents".