+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning after 3 years of absence

s.dzenisiuk

Jul 11, 2012
Hello!
We became permanent residents in June 2012 and then left Canada. We are now planning to return to Canada (Montreal) in June 2015. We are not in breach of our permanent residency obligations, as we were absent for less than 3 years. But there are any other "surprises"/unusual checks/questions that we could expect at the point of entry when passing through the documents check / customs / immigration? I am asking this to be prepared :)
Thanks!

milo2015

Star Member
Dec 24, 2014
Calgary, Alberta,Canada
hi any senior member can provide more info. but what i have heard you might be asked questions and you should be prepared and provide well balanced answers or evidences of what you have been doing in the period you were absence.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will likely ask you how long you were outside Canada and when you say you were outside almost 3 years, they will likely remind you that the residency obligation is 2/5 years so you will have to stay in Canada now in order to meet it.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Sometimes the CBSA officers can be bit edgy. I also had similar case became PR Aug 2011, I was entering Canada July 2014. Was sent for secondary, even though I had clearly 1 month gap and could easily fullfill 2 year physical presence, the officer took extra effort to be a pain in the neck.

I was told to fill up the residency questionaire, was told they are reporting me to CIC. Then went on tanget reminding me how big privilege it is to have the residency, I am being insincere with my obligation, he suspects I am playing with the system. They would call me to counter, ask few question like......where were you living, who is the employer, which all US states I was living in prevoiusly....then say to wait for another 15 -20 minutes. This went on for 2-3 hours. Then he said why should I let you in when I clearly see you are playing with the system and not going to fulfil your obligation as PR, I was pissed by this time. I told him I have filled the RQ, go ahead and report me to the CIC. If CIC have issue they will surely contact me. Thing is they can only report to CIC and but they try to sometimes go overboard with their mandated authority.

So be patient, if you encounter such PIA. As long as you can fulfil 2 years, you are good to enter. I dint hear back anything from CIC.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
justinline said:
So be patient, if you encounter such PIA. As long as you can fulfil 2 years, you are good to enter. I dint hear back anything from CIC.
You did the right thing by just telling him to report you. Even if you can't fulfill two years and clearly don't meet the RO, they still have to let you enter. The only thing they are allowed to do is report you and CIC makes the final decision if they will follow up with that.

If you are entering after 3 years and it's clear that you can still meet the RO, CIC will never follow up with a report even if the immigration officer wants to do it because they know you can still meet the RO and they can not revoke your PR if you still can, no matter what they think your intentions are.

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
What's the point of the CBSA officer being such a pain, if there is no reason and RO are met? Why not just let someone in without hassling them and trying to freak them out?