+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returned application: should be sent with new dates?

Kamran2015

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
should a returned application be sent back with the original dates it was sent with or it should be filled with new dates?

ukulele

Jun 27, 2013
should a returned application be sent back with the original dates it was sent with or it should be filled with new dates?
New dates = more buffer days

I would refill everything and send a fresh copy with more days.

But that's me... Let's see what others have to say.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
new dates. putting an original date would be sending it in the past. even on the physical presence calculator online, you just have to change 1 date. there is no hassle.

robw

Mar 10, 2014
new dates. putting an original date would be sending it in the past. even on the physical presence calculator online, you just have to change 1 date. there is no hassle.
This is completely wrong and it doesn't even make any logical sense..."sending it in the past". What does that even mean? Any date you send the letter will be "the past" relative to when it reaches the recipient; there's nothing wrong with backdating an application. Do you even proofread what you write?

Anyways, straight from the instruction manual:

1) Note: Your application will be returned to you if it is:

• not signed and dated
  • dated more than 90 days before we receive it
  • post-dated (dated into the future).
So it's okay to keep the old dates so long as they are within 90 days of which your updated application will reach the CIC

2) You actually have THREE dates the change. The date you input into the calculator, the date you sign with in the calculator printout, and the date in the application, not one. And all three dates should match. Oh, and you have to change the dates in the application as well (I believe on page 2).

This is such a hassle rife with mistakes that it's better to just leave the old dates as is and hurry to send them back. The amount of bad advice people give here is ridiculous.

Kamran2015

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
May I ask if your application was returned and for what reason ? Thanks
No my application was not returned. I read on another forum which spyfy manages that someone else's application was returned due to not putting the SIN number. I just thought how he should handle it. This becomes interesting only if one leaves Canada during this process and the application is returned. If the law stipulates that new dates have to be filled in, then one might become disqualified. The 90 day period where it is mentioned above kind of says that a returned application could be sent back as along as it is received within 90 days from the original signing date again. I am just not sure about this.

rdecartus

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
I sent the application as it is with additional docs they requested. Have not got AOR yet (received on Nov 2).

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
No my application was not returned. I read on another forum which spyfy manages that someone else's application was returned due to not putting the SIN number. I just thought how he should handle it. This becomes interesting only if one leaves Canada during this process and the application is returned. If the law stipulates that new dates have to be filled in, then one might become disqualified. The 90 day period where it is mentioned above kind of says that a returned application could be sent back as along as it is received within 90 days from the original signing date again. I am just not sure about this.
Yes, you can mail the same application package back to them with the missing info/doc. This has been confirmed by several people on this forum who got their applications returned, re-sent it, and are now citizens. Of course, the 90 day limitation applies.

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
It probably will take you 30-60 mins to cut paste on the new application. Residency calculator would also print out with new date of signing.

IF you get it back why not send a new dated application? Again a personal choice, it can be annoying as hell to fill up everything again but 30-60 mins are not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
This is completely wrong and it doesn't even make any logical sense..."sending it in the past". What does that even mean? Any date you send the letter will be "the past" relative to when it reaches the recipient; there's nothing wrong with backdating an application. Do you even proofread what you write?

Anyways, straight from the instruction manual:

1) Note: Your application will be returned to you if it is:

• not signed and dated
  • dated more than 90 days before we receive it
  • post-dated (dated into the future).
So it's okay to keep the old dates so long as they are within 90 days of which your updated application will reach the CIC

2) You actually have THREE dates the change. The date you input into the calculator, the date you sign with in the calculator printout, and the date in the application, not one. And all three dates should match. Oh, and you have to change the dates in the application as well (I believe on page 2).

This is such a hassle rife with mistakes that it's better to just leave the old dates as is and hurry to send them back. The amount of bad advice people give here is ridiculous.
looks like you did not read my post well and are pointing at phrases from my statements without understanding the context and meaning. but i wouldnt start name calling you. i do agree that there is a lot of bad advice and people ridiculing others by taking their reading their responses incorrectly.