+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Retaining Citizenship

XL1028

Nov 29, 2008
I'm curious as to whether or not I should be concerned about my Canadian citizenship.

I was born outside of Canada after February 14, 1977 and at the time, none of my parents were Canadian or living in Canada.
My dad came to Canada first, and had lived here for 3 years before my mom and I joined him.
Shortly after, my dad registered and became a Canadian citizen and I (age 4) became a citizen by naturalization.
My family and I have been living in Canada ever since.

Am I subject to the retention rule?

If I need to supply more information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

XL1028 said:
I'm curious as to whether or not I should be concerned about my Canadian citizenship.

I was born outside of Canada after February 14, 1977 and at the time, none of my parents were Canadian or living in Canada.
My dad came to Canada first, and had lived here for 3 years before my mom and I joined him.
Shortly after, my dad registered and became a Canadian citizen and I (age 4) became a citizen by naturalization.
My family and I have been living in Canada ever since.

Am I subject to the retention rule?

If I need to supply more information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help.
No.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Retention only applies to 2nd generation born abroad. That would have been if your grandparent had been Canadian, your mother or father had gotten citizenship through that parent without having been born in Canada themselves and then you had gotten citizenship through a parent when you were not born in Canada either. For people in that situation, they need to live in Canada for at least 1 year before turning 28 and apply to retain. Currently the laws are changing so 2nd generation born abroad, after some time in April will not be getting citizenship at all. You can read about all of this at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/retain.asp