Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Doc's Request.
July 2010
AOR Received.
August 12th 2010
Hey Guys!! ;D

Just after a bit of advise regarding my up and coming ''Recce'' trip to BC and Alberta (Fort St John and Fort McMurray)

Basically I'm heading over there soon for a couple weeks to scope the place out, with the view to come back permanently in September (Hopefully, depending what I think of the places...! ) :-\

I was contemplating dropping off some resumes to some companies whilst I am out there to see if I get any nibbles. Does anyone have any experience of doing this or could give me any tips? Good or bad idea?

It'll be the gas and oil companies I will be approaching, I am a qualified Industrial Electrician!

Visa/Qualification recognition are no issue, all is well on that front ! ;)

Thanks for any help ! :)

Canadian Career Coach

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's never harm in dropping resumes off, but a caution is that each company will want to feel special, so you may need to spend some time upfront and customize cover letters for each one -- yes, this does take time, but companies don't like to feel like a number anymore then job seekers.

Cold calling on the phone, or massive resume drops are not the most effective means to find jobs, but again, some people are lucky and have success. I would recommend researching the 6-10 companies you specifically want to target and then send them customized letters. Look at each of their websites to see what you can grab from there to use in each letter to personalize it and also look at their current career opp's to see what types of jobs they're currently hiring for.