+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Resubmit Physical Presence Calculation

anonymoususer25

Star Member
Jun 6, 2016
Hi, I submitted my citizenship application back in 2022. I received a letter from IRCC to resubmit physical presence calculation because of some mistake. So, my question is:
1. What date I will put where it asked - When you are going to sign the application? Do I need to write back date when I originally signed the application or do I need to write today's date?

2. Do I need to submit the calculations until 2022 when I signed the application or do I need to calculate it till today? Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi, I submitted my citizenship application back in 2022. I received a letter from IRCC to resubmit physical presence calculation because of some mistake. So, my question is:
1. What date I will put where it asked - When you are going to sign the application? Do I need to write back date when I originally signed the application or do I need to write today's date?

2. Do I need to submit the calculations until 2022 when I signed the application or do I need to calculate it till today? Thanks
For current application, the actual physical presence calculation that matters is for the period 2017 to 2022; specific month and day based on date one day previous to date the application was signed. Odds are this is a request to provide a corrected calculation based on those dates.

Explanation/Further Observations:

I cannot offer specific advice. Even a top-flight expert lawyer would need a lot, lot more information (more than should be shared in a forum like this) to offer specific advice. Meaning you need to follow the instructions you have received and apply them as best you can to the facts as you know them. It is important, crucially important now to get the facts right since your capacity to accurately report facts is compromised (having made sufficient errors that IRCC has requested revised submission of your information); be sure to be ACCURATE, and to be COMPLETE.

KEY FACT: Total Credit for Days Physically Present as of Date of Original Application:

For you to be qualified for a grant of citizenship based on the current application, you must meet the actual physical presence requirement as of the day that application was made (date signed). So this request probably requires you to submit a revised calculation based on the same date you originally signed the application (but again, I cannot offer specific advice, for many reasons). Obviously, for purposes of this application a physical presence calculation based on a new date (such as the date you are re-doing the calculation) would not be relevant in processing an application previously made.

So, the odds are high that the physical presence calculation you need to submit is for the period 2017 to 2022, the specific month and day based on date one day previous to date the application was signed.

I do NOT know if the following applies to you, but whether you are SHORT is perhaps the looming question:

Again, I do not know if this applies to you, but to be clear, if the revised total credit is less than 1095 for days you were physically present as of the day you made the application, obviously you were not qualified for a grant of citizenship when you applied. If this is the case, this application will NOT be granted. To become a Canadian citizen, you will need to re-apply if and when eligible to obtain Canadian citizenship.

It might be worth noting that while IRCC might request a revised physical presence calculation for a range of reasons, it seems there are only two more likely ones:

-- there are enough discrepancies between the information provided by the applicant with the application and other information IRCC has (CBSA travel history being the primary source) to raise significant concerns (for IRCC) about the applicant's physical presence or the applicant's trustworthiness or both, OR​
-- apparent errors in the information provided by the applicant suggest the applicant did not meet the physical presence requirement as of the date the application was made​

Generally IRCC will NOT make an issue, beyond some related questions during an interview, of mistakes made in the physical presence calculation UNLESS the number or size of the mistakes indicates a problem that cannot be resolved by a request for additional RQ-related documents, that is UNLESS the number or size of the mistakes indicates either:
-- an extensive failure to accurately report the facts, or​
-- the applicant did not meet the qualifications (physical presence in particular) as of the date the application was made.​