+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

residency status for child tax benefit

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ssaud and blitzk ARE PR, aren't they? For PR, yes, you have to fill in tax return with your previous year income (even if it is there out of Canada income and there were not PR then)- but that is a well known requirement.
NEVER EVER met a case where PR were rejected CCTB , they get it as soon as they landed (and proper papers processed).

temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months
This is for temporary residents, not a request for PR (ssaud and blitzk).

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Regina said:
ssaud and blitzk ARE PR, aren't they? For PR, yes, you have to fill in tax return with your previous year income (even if it is there out of Canada income and there were not PR then)- but that is a well known requirement.
NEVER EVER met a case where PR were rejected CCTB , they get it as soon as they landed (and proper papers processed).
This is for temporary residents, not a request for PR (ssaud and blitzk).
Did you actually read the eligibility requirements in the previous posts? It doesn't matter if you are a PR/Canadian You must live in Canada for 18 months before you are eligible....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The way I read it, the red only applies to a temporary resident

you or your spouse or common-law partner must be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a protected person, or a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month.
If it also applied to PR's and citizens that they must have lived in Canada for 18 months before they can apply, why does CRA give you this form: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc66sch/rc66sch-13e.pdf to give a statement of income for people who have not been living in Canada?

Further, the form seems to indicate that the 18 months only applies to the temporary resident:

Temporary resident who has lived in Canada throughout the previous 18 months
For each visitor record, work permit, study permit, temporary resident's permit, or extension to a temporary resident's permit that covers the period after your 18 months of residency (other than permits that state "does not confer status" or "does not confer temporary resident status"), enter the start date and the expiry date for you and your spouse or common-law partner. If you need more space, use a separate sheet of paper, and attach it to this form.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
The OP wanted a simple response. All you guys have done is confused the OP with hogwash and legal mumbo jumpo. The OP is PR, therefore immediately eligible for CCTB, you don't need to file taxes and all that crap to be eligible for it, as my parents have not filed taxes since arrived in late Jan and still receiving CCTB.

I know this because my younger brother is eligible and in receipt of the benefit, and we received a similar letter from Revenue Canada, to which we replied by providing copies of both parents/child's PR status/SIN numbers, a copy of tenancy agreements and then it was all good. Stop confusing people not familiar with terminology. Guide them with easy answers please!

So to Ssaud, just provide extra documentation (copies of PR status of child as well as parents, SIN numbers confirmed, tenancy agreement if it has child's name on it etc) reply to that letter. It should be all good from there onwards. Service Canada usually writes every single reason on the letter, however you only need to read the reason which applies to you.

bilaltaj

Dec 29, 2010
Islamabad, PK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2010
Doc's Request.
20-10-2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR 16-06-2011
File Transfer...
Got refused in May 2012 and reopen on reconsideration request(9 july 2012)
Med's Request
30-04-2014
Med's Done....
07-05-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 28-05-14, PPR2 30-06-14
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued on 20-06-14, Passport received on 09-07-14
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
jazibkg said:
The OP wanted a simple response. All you guys have done is confused the OP with hogwash and legal mumbo jumpo. The OP is PR, therefore immediately eligible for CCTB, you don't need to file taxes and all that crap to be eligible for it, as my parents have not filed taxes since arrived in late Jan and still receiving CCTB.

I know this because my younger brother is eligible and in receipt of the benefit, and we received a similar letter from Revenue Canada, to which we replied by providing copies of both parents/child's PR status/SIN numbers, a copy of tenancy agreements and then it was all good. Stop confusing people not familiar with terminology. Guide them with easy answers please!

So to Ssaud, just provide extra documentation (copies of PR status of child as well as parents, SIN numbers confirmed, tenancy agreement if it has child's name on it etc) reply to that letter. It should be all good from there onwards. Service Canada usually writes every single reason on the letter, however you only need to read the reason which applies to you.
I have same issue, just receive same letter. I am landed immigrant when I applied for benifits I did not have PR cards. Now I have PR cards of my all family and tenancy agreement as well.

My questions are:

1. How much time they will take means again 80 days?
2. Will they give me previous balance payment for 2 months.

Please confirm thanks

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
bilaltaj said:
I have same issue, just receive same letter. I am landed immigrant when I applied for benifits I did not have PR cards. Now I have PR cards of my all family and tenancy agreement as well.

My questions are:

1. How much time they will take means again 80 days?
2. Will they give me previous balance payment for 2 months.

Please confirm thanks
Yes, they may take as long as 6 months in some instances but they always backpay the balance, so you receive the money anyways. PR cards aren't essential to the application (landing document COPR would just do fine), but now you have it, please don't delay and send a copy of your PR cards+SIN cards+any other requested documents. You will receive your previous balance so its no worries.

siouxe

May 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
Nomination.....
28-08-2014
Med's Request
29-9-2014
Med's Done....
18-10-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
3-11-2014
LANDED..........
2Q 2015
We will be in Canada on June 2015. Assuming that I can file for CCTB on July 2015, when will be the first payment of my CCTB allowance?

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
siouxe said:
We will be in Canada on June 2015. Assuming that I can file for CCTB on July 2015, when will be the first payment of my CCTB allowance?
It takes approximately 3-4 months for CRA to process CCTB applications.

scoot

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
I got the same letter despite us being in Canada since April 2013,I'm hoping that the woman and HR block that does my taxes will chase them up on it for me.

siouxe

May 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
Nomination.....
28-08-2014
Med's Request
29-9-2014
Med's Done....
18-10-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
3-11-2014
LANDED..........
2Q 2015
scoot said:
I got the same letter despite us being in Canada since April 2013,I'm hoping that the woman and HR block that does my taxes will chase them up on it for me.
That's sad to know. What's their specific reason on not giving the CCTB?

scoot

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
According to my letter we don't meet the residency requirements which is strange as according to my research we should have been entitled to claim after being within Canada for 18 months.
We did get a GST rebate last year,but thats all that we have had so far.

siouxe

May 8, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2014
Nomination.....
28-08-2014
Med's Request
29-9-2014
Med's Done....
18-10-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
21-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
3-11-2014
LANDED..........
2Q 2015
scoot said:
According to my letter we don't meet the residency requirements which is strange as according to my research we should have been entitled to claim after being within Canada for 18 months.
We did get a GST rebate last year,but thats all that we have had so far.
Maybe you should make a formal appeal about your case. From what I understand, once you are a landed immigrant, you are already entitled for CCTB without having to wait for 18 months. I think there are other supporting docs that need to be submitted along with your application.

Quote from: jazibkg
CRA will pay the full amount in arrears (that is, your child would have been assumed eligible from the day your family landed).

Also, along with your CCTB application, send the form CTB9 (Statement of Income), along with a clear copy of your landing papers, SIN cards / SIN number letter (sometimes CRA will claim that the SIN is invalid, so include the SIN document copy), passports and / or ID documents. GST / HST credit payments are made quarterly, whilst CCTB payments monthly.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
This debacle happened with my spouse today when she received a letter from the CRA- She landed in June 2018 along with our 2 kids, and now we receive this letter from the CRA that we don't meet residency requirements.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This debacle happened with my spouse today when she received a letter from the CRA- She landed in June 2018 along with our 2 kids, and now we receive this letter from the CRA that we don't meet residency requirements.
]

More infö required.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
]

More infö required.
Wife and kids landed in Toronto as Permanent Residents on 15 June 2018- we applied for CCB later in that week, and sent all the requisite copies.

Earlier this month, we got the GST/HST and Ontario Trillium amounts credited to our account. However, for the CCB my wife received a CRA notice that our kids don't meet the residency requirements. Unsure how we can prove that kids were with us as the school is closed too, and we couldn't gain admission by the end of June.