+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency requirement for Baby

fruitips

Mar 3, 2015
My wife and I have been a PR since July 2016 and we have a baby born outside Canada. I plan to relocate and settle in Canada next year. I would like to ask if the residency requirement for becoming citizen would also apply for child under age 14? I understand that there would be a concurrent application for child to become citizen together with their parent, is that meant if one of the parent fulfill the residency requirement for becoming citizen, the child could become citizen as well even if the child not fulfill those?
Anyone could share their experience for applying their child as citizen?

R

rish888

After recent amendments to legislation, there are two ways a minor can become a citizen:

1: Independently, by meeting the same requirements as an adult. (Irrelevant in your case.)
2: By having a citizen parent or by becoming a citizen at the same time as the parent. (This is what would apply in your case.)

Under option 2, the child has no residency obligation to become a citizen. Given your child is under 14 there is not test or the need to take the oath of citizenship. You can include your child in you application, and the only requirement for that is your child needs to be a PR.

Hope this helps!

fruitips

Mar 3, 2015
Thanks for your answer.

I understand the option 2 is the original one, while option 1 is the new one under amendment to legistration.

Btw, is the citizenship have to apply within Canada?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks for your answer.

I understand the option 2 is the original one, while option 1 is the new one under amendment to legistration.

Btw, is the citizenship have to apply within Canada?
Any child must be a PR first, before they can get citizenship along with parents. The child doesn't need to meet residency obligation as long as the parent does that's applying for citizenship.

If a child is born outside Canada to PR parents, then the child must be sponsored for PR first before they can ever get citizenship.

fruitips

Mar 3, 2015
Any child must be a PR first, before they can get citizenship along with parents. The child doesn't need to meet residency obligation as long as the parent does that's applying for citizenship.

If a child is born outside Canada to PR parents, then the child must be sponsored for PR first before they can ever get citizenship.
But i meant if one of the parent fulfill the re

R

rish888

Even if you fulfill the requirements for citizenship, you child would still need to be a PR.

The first step is sponsoring your child for PR, then once you meet your residency requirements for citizenship your child can become a citizen with you.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

fruitips

Mar 3, 2015
Sorry my question is if the child is PR and the parent fulfilling the residency requirement, can both of them apply citizenship outside Canada?

Even if you fulfill the requirements for citizenship, you child would still need to be a PR.

The first step is sponsoring your child for PR, then once you meet your residency requirements for citizenship your child can become a citizen with you.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Sorry my question is if the child is PR and the parent fulfilling the residency requirement, can both of them apply citizenship outside Canada?
Both of them can apply for citizenship, yes. But they can't apply outside Canada. You cannot apply for citizenship outside Canada. The whole process is conducted in Canada. You can leave the country during the process, but all steps (interview, test, oath) are only possible to be taken in Canada.

fruitips

Mar 3, 2015
Tha
Both of them can apply for citizenship, yes. But they can't apply outside Canada. You cannot apply for citizenship outside Canada. The whole process is conducted in Canada. You can leave the country during the process, but all steps (interview, test, oath) are only possible to be taken in Canada.
Thanks so much.

How long it take for the citizenship process

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Tha

Thanks so much.

How long it take for the citizenship process
There is many posts on this forum regarding the length of the citizenship application process. So much that it feels like 50% of the posts are about it. Have a look around in the other threads to get an idea. Officially, IRCC says normal processing takes at most 12 months.