+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency question

N

newboy

Hello I was just wondering, I am a PR of Canada since 2003 Jan, but I was living in the USA forJune 2006 to Aug 2008 with my now X wife who is a Canadian Citizen. I return to Canada Aug 2008 and living here since then. Can I use that time spent living with my x wife ( in USA) towards the requirement for citizenship since she is a citizen of CAnada.
Also I am a PR of USA does that has any effect of the application for Canadian citizenship.

Thank you

ali

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=newboy link=topic=33993.msg214409#msg214409 date=1265259570]
Hello I was just wondering, I am a PR of Canada since 2003 Jan, but I was living in the USA forJune 2006 to Aug 2008 with my now X wife who is a Canadian Citizen. I return to Canada Aug 2008 and living here since then. Can I use that time spent living with my x wife ( in USA) towards the requirement for citizenship since she is a citizen of CAnada.
Also I am a PR of USA does that has any effect of the application for Canadian citizenship.

Thank you

ali
[/quote]

No, only physical residency in Canada counts for citizenship.

PMM

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Ali,

Yes, if your X-wife is a Canadian citizen, and you both lived together for those 2 years, you do qualify for the resdiency requirement for citizenship. Technically you should complete 3 years out of 4 years preceeding your application, so if you apply now, you are good to go !
Please see -

Time spent outside of Canada
You may also count the days spent outside of Canada in the following circumstances as days for which you satisfy the residency obligation:

OPTION 1. Accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada

You may count each day that you accompanied a Canadian citizen outside Canada provided that the person you accompanied is your

spouse or common-law partner or
parent, if you are less than 22 years of age
Evidence that you are accompanying a Canadian citizen
You must provide supporting documents to prove that:

The person you are accompanying is a Canadian citizen; and
You are the spouse, common-law partner or child of that person.
Supporting documents may include:

marriage licence
child’s birth certificate, baptismal document, and/or adoption or guardianship document
school and/or employment records
association or club memberships
passports or other travel documents
documents indicating the status of the person you are accompanying

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sparkle, I found the link to the info you posted, it's http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445EA.asp and this is actually not for a citizenship application, it's for the PR residency requirements.

You can see how to calculate your residency requirements for citizenship here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0407E.pdf and there are no allowances for having been outside Canada with a Canadian citizen or PR family member.