+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency obligations not met - need to apply pr for son

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The safe approach is to be sure to be in compliance before engaging in any transaction which depends on valid PR status.

I realize how difficult it is to know how IRCC officials are actually approaching these cases, generally, and far more difficult to forecast how things will go for any particular individual. So the safe approach is an important guideline. The only reliable guideline.
I believe I have seen more anecdotal evidence of sponsorship apps submitted when out of compliance effectively not being processed - i.e. not automatically sent to the reporting/removal/revocation stages but simply left to 'age out.' (Or rather 'age in' to compliance with the RO).

But here I can only say I do not know for certain and haven't been tracking closely. I hope I haven't overstated.

All I can do is warn that leniency seems less clearcut and that given the timeframes involved to get back into compliance (in many/most cases) and importance to many, it's a big deal.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I believe I have seen more anecdotal evidence of sponsorship apps submitted when out of compliance effectively not being processed - i.e. not automatically sent to the reporting/removal/revocation stages but simply left to 'age out.' (Or rather 'age in' to compliance with the RO).

But here I can only say I do not know for certain and haven't been tracking closely. I hope I haven't overstated.

All I can do is warn that leniency seems less clearcut and that given the timeframes involved to get back into compliance (in many/most cases) and importance to many, it's a big deal.
I am not sure what you mean by "simply left to 'age out'" in this: "not automatically sent to the reporting/removal/revocation stages but simply left to 'age out.' "

To be clear, nonetheless, so far as I can discern, the sponsor's failure to be in compliance with the RO is not, not in itself, a ground for denying the sponsorship application. Only if the application triggers being "sent to the reporting/removal/revocation" process might that result in the sponsored application being denied (on the grounds the PR is not an eligible sponsor).

But sure, delays in processing are also a big deal.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am not sure what you mean by "simply left to 'age out'" in this: "not automatically sent to the reporting/removal/revocation stages but simply left to 'age out.' "
But sure, delays in processing are also a big deal.
What I meant by "age out" was effectively that the sponsorship application is set aside and sees little or no significant movement until the sponsor is back in compliance with RO.

So that, in practice, while applying to sponsor may not have any significant repercussions on the sponsor's PR status, it may not mean the sponsorship app 'proceeds apace' (as it would if sponsor in compliance).

But I admit to not knowing the answer.

akambo91

Aug 25, 2022
Hey,

I have a similar kind of issue and I some suggestions and help from you guys. I am a canadian PR with PR card valid upto Oct 05 2024. I have just been to canada for 10 days till now. I wish to move to canada within next 2 months (before Oct end and maybe early) and also I am going to sponsor my wife to canada within next 6-7 months after getting a job and fulfilling other requirements. Technically I can still complete my residency obligation If I land before Oct 05 2024. Considering my situation, should I make a move of moving to Canada, as I am very much concerned about sponsoring my wife and getting her here within next 1-1.5 yr.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey,

I have a similar kind of issue and I some suggestions and help from you guys. I am a canadian PR with PR card valid upto Oct 05 2024. I have just been to canada for 10 days till now. I wish to move to canada within next 2 months (before Oct end and maybe early) and also I am going to sponsor my wife to canada within next 6-7 months after getting a job and fulfilling other requirements. Technically I can still complete my residency obligation If I land before Oct 05 2024. Considering my situation, should I make a move of moving to Canada, as I am very much concerned about sponsoring my wife and getting her here within next 1-1.5 yr.
Duplicate. It is 2 years in the 5 years from your landing date (in 2019) so must return in 2022.