+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligations (Absence From Canada).

fkhan123

Dec 20, 2016
Hi Guys,

Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) has implemented a New Digital Border Process in place instead of previous paper based Declaration Card which used to track the "Date Left Canada" in order determine that for how long a person was absent from Canada.

The new digital process does not capture this information. If someone lost or misplaces his paper records for his travel i.e. tickets, boarding passes etc. how would he be able to retrieve that information to be used in the application for PRC or Citizenship to avoid any possible discrepancies?

Thanks

vitoriaboy

Aug 26, 2017
Hi Guys,

Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) has implemented a New Digital Border Process in place instead of previous paper based Declaration Card which used to track the "Date Left Canada" in order determine that for how long a person was absent from Canada.

The new digital process does not capture this information. If someone lost or misplaces his paper records for his travel i.e. tickets, boarding passes etc. how would he be able to retrieve that information to be used in the application for PRC or Citizenship to avoid any possible discrepancies?

Thanks
Good question. on a related note, is it possible to get a copy of previous customs cards through a ATIP request, so as to see and confirm travel dates?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Hi Guys,

Thanks
I don't understand your concern. The old system, CBSA had a record of when you arrived, and you didn't, unless you made one yourself. The new system, CBSA have a record of when you arrive, and you don't unless you make one yourself.

If you mean that the new electronic booths merely ask if you've been gone 24/48/more hours, where the old one used to request a specific date - that's just a customs question to assess how much you can bring back without paying taxes. The number you wrote on the card wasn't what they used to calculate your days in Canada for citizenship (if there weren't exit records, they'd want a lot more proof than a number you scrawled down once).

fkhan123

Dec 20, 2016
I don't understand your concern. The old system, CBSA had a record of when you arrived, and you didn't, unless you made one yourself. The new system, CBSA have a record of when you arrive, and you don't unless you make one yourself.

If you mean that the new electronic booths merely ask if you've been gone 24/48/more hours, where the old one used to request a specific date - that's just a customs question to assess how much you can bring back without paying taxes. The number you wrote on the card wasn't what they used to calculate your days in Canada for citizenship (if there weren't exit records, they'd want a lot more proof than a number you scrawled down once).
Hi spousalsponsee,
My concern is yes they only ask in their new system how long did stay out of Canada and the maximum option is more than 7 days....it does not ask for or capture a specific date when you actually quit. My concern is if some one lost that record personally and would want to request form CBSA, how would CBSA provide that information if it did not capture it whereas in the old Kisoke at least the date was mentioned in the custom form which was being scanned.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Hi spousalsponsee,
My concern is yes they only ask in their new system how long did stay out of Canada and the maximum option is more than 7 days....it does not ask for or capture a specific date when you actually quit. My concern is if some one lost that record personally and would want to request form CBSA, how would CBSA provide that information if it did not capture it whereas in the old Kisoke at least the date was mentioned in the custom form which was being scanned.
They wouldn't.

CBSA have records of people leaving Canada by land (in the form of US entry records supplied to Canada), but not by air.

fkhan123

Dec 20, 2016
They wouldn't.

CBSA have records of people leaving Canada by land (in the form of US entry records supplied to Canada), but not by air.
There is something called Boarding Pass Security System (BPSS) in place or quite sometime by CATSA, does this information on travelers leaving Canada is shared with CBSA and any interested individual or IRCC can have access to it for travel history verification purposes.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
There is something called Boarding Pass Security System (BPSS) in place or quite sometime by CATSA, does this information on travelers leaving Canada is shared with CBSA and any interested individual or IRCC can have access to it for travel history verification purposes.
I'm not clear what point you're trying to make, but that isn't deployed at (anywhere near) all airports, and in any case, the data is permanently erased after 30 days (http://www.catsa.gc.ca/bpss)

To back to the original point: You should be keeping track of your time spent in and out of Canada, and be able to prove it if IRCC question your meeting the Residency Obligation.

fkhan123

Dec 20, 2016
I'm not clear what point you're trying to make, but that isn't deployed at (anywhere near) all airports, and in any case, the data is permanently erased after 30 days (http://www.catsa.gc.ca/bpss)

To back to the original point: You should be keeping track of your time spent in and out of Canada, and be able to prove it if IRCC question your meeting the Residency Obligation.
Hi spousalsponsee,
Just being a human being if somehow your personal record is lost or misplaced as a second option or backup from where to get this traveler's exit information reliably. At least before, CBSA's E311 Custom Declaration Form used to capture "Date Left Canada" and now with the implementation of Automated Custom Declaration booth it is not possible now.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
We're all human beings. It's your responsibility to be able to confirm how long you've been in Canada should your citizenship, or PR card renewal require it. The customs card was never a proof of that (you could write any date on it), so you should always have had your own records for you, and would always need more proof for CBSA/IRCC.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
At least before, CBSA's E311 Custom Declaration Form used to capture "Date Left Canada" and now with the implementation of Automated Custom Declaration booth it is not possible now.
As mentioned, this has NEVER been a valid piece of evidence to prove your PR residency obligation. It's just a date you used to write on the customs card, it was never verified by CBSA in most cases (perhaps only if you went to secondary inspection it was actually confirmed).