+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

residency obligation of a minor

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
the CIC website says that for residency obligation :
You may count each day you accompanied a permanent resident outside Canada provided that:
the person you accompanied is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 22 years of age); and
he or she was employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province during the period you accompanied him or her.

Now I am 19 years old and I have to live in India for study ( due to financial reasons ) , now my question is if my mom ( who is a PERMANENT RESIDENT ) lives with me for two years without working for a canadian business and then goes back ( I will turn 21 at that time ) and meet her residency requirement , WILL THAT TWO YEARS BE COUNTED FOR MY RESIDENCY OBLIGATION when I will go back after five years ( when i will turn 24 ) ?
I mean does the working for a canadian business clause not required if the my mom meets her residency obligation by staying in canada for two years ?

Thank you so much for your help !

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tegveer said:
the CIC website says that for residency obligation :
You may count each day you accompanied a permanent resident outside Canada provided that:
the person you accompanied is your spouse, common-law partner or parent (if you are a child under 22 years of age); and
he or she was employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province during the period you accompanied him or her.

Now I am 19 years old and I have to live in India for study ( due to financial reasons ) , now my question is if my mom ( who is a PERMANENT RESIDENT ) lives with me for two years without working for a canadian business and then goes back ( I will turn 21 at that time ) and meet her residency requirement , WILL THAT TWO YEARS BE COUNTED FOR MY RESIDENCY OBLIGATION when I will go back after five years ( when i will turn 24 ) ?
I mean does the working for a canadian business clause not required if the my mom meets her residency obligation by staying in canada for two years ?

Thank you so much for your help !
I think you just answered your own question. If you lose your PR at age 22 due to not staying in Canada enough, you can officially agree that you have lost your PR and then your mom can sponsor you again as long as you stay single and stay a full time student until your application is processed. If you would rather try to keep the PR you have, if you spend your school holidays in Canada as well as take a year off at some point, it should be enough to add up to 2 years combined.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
thanks
so I cannot count the two years I will spend with my mom for my residency obligation ?
Is that because I wont be a minor when I am 22 or she have to work for a canadian business ?

I am really sorry but I still dont understand ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You quoted it above from the immigration website. It seems quite clear that your mother has to work for a Canadian business overseas for you to be keeping your residency requirements by staying with her.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
thanks
but if I have got my PR card canceled , wont that complicate the sponsership application my mom will apply for me ? or it wont ?

thanks