+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residence Obligation Question

UnitedBaller

Jan 15, 2019
Hello,

I have received my PR in 2019 and did my soft landing in Oct 2019 and left Canada after that. I have my PR card until October 2024. If I travel to Canada in the first week of November 2022 and I stay in Canada until the end of the 5 year period since my landing date in 2019, I will accumulate only 700 days of the required 730 out of 5 years. So when I reach Canada (by commercial Airplane) will I be admitted into the country or would I face any issues during immigration? (I intend to stay in Canada without leaving for 730 days)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

I have received my PR in 2019 and did my soft landing in Oct 2019 and left Canada after that. I have my PR card until October 2024. If I travel to Canada in the first week of November 2022 and I stay in Canada until the end of the 5 year period since my landing date in 2019, I will accumulate only 700 days of the required 730 out of 5 years. So when I reach Canada (by commercial Airplane) will I be admitted into the country or would I face any issues during immigration? (I intend to stay in Canada without leaving for 730 days)
Look at the residency obligation forum here.

Short answer is you will be admitted. You may/likely will get questioned as to why you were out so long (they may not say directly that you are out of compliance, but you are). Provide what reasons you can (at minimum something about covid).

Since you are technically only a bit out of compliance, there is a decent chance they will let you through with nothing more than a verbal warning about it (although whatever happens, assume they have put a note on your file).

Worst case, they 'report' you formally, which starts process of revoking the PR status, but it is subject to appeal and appeals take much time. But in that event you can remain in Canada and work etc while that goes on.