+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Research Assistant (NOC 4012) issue

kassalh

Oct 20, 2015
Hello guys,

I am planning to apply under FSW.
I am currently doing my M.Sc in Canada and working as a research assistant.

Prior to come to Canada I also worked as a research assistant. I started this job just
after the completion of my undergraduate degree.

It seems like best fit is NOC 4012. But under the requirement it says "Enrollment in a university or college program is required"
But I was not a student at that time. ::)

What should I do?
I would greatly appreciate your response. :)

pk7

Star Member
Jan 9, 2015
kassalh said:
Hello guys,

Prior to come to Canada I also worked as a research assistant. I started this job just

It seems like best fit is NOC 4012. But under the requirement it says "Enrollment in a university or college program is required"

What should I do?
Enrolment in a university is not necessary I think...even if it say I dont think this is necessary....the most important thing in selecting code is job duties and responsibilities....if your job duties match with NOC 4012 go for that code...otherwise choose appropriate code which matches your job duties...

martinsdaddy

Jul 24, 2015
Maldives
kassalh said:
Hello guys,

A reminder: This experience will not count as an experience under EE

Yes! What that mean is that as a Teaching/Research Assitant you must be enrolled/registered in a university of college program. This may not be the case for all countries. However, I'll employ you to be very careful, as you will be required to provide proof of employment and you must include all your duties, with the right qualification.
What should I do?

kassalh

Oct 20, 2015
Thanks. I already have one year working experience in Canada as a research assistant (full time basis). So I thought I could accumulate
more points if I show, I had working experience in a different country as well.

Isn't that the case?

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
Hi, I am applying under the same NOC. My situation is similar to yours. My current job (3 years already) is a full time research position (outside Canada) that does not require enrollment in a university program. In fact, it is a Research Fellow position which requires an earned PhD degree. Initially, I thought of selecting 4011 (University Professors and Lecturers), but I don't think the duties would be a good fit, even though 'Postdoctoral Fellow' is listed under 'All Titles' under this NOC (My title is not exactly 'Postdoctoral Fellow' anyway).

Therefore, I selected 4012 instead. I did see the requirement about enrollment in a university/college program. However, I reasoned that this was meant as a minimal requirement – that if someone already has an earned degree, this should be considered as exceeding and therefore satisfying the requirement.

However, if Martinsdaddy is correct, then I'd be in big trouble.

kassalh said:
Thanks. I already have one year working experience in Canada as a research assistant (full time basis). So I thought I could accumulate
more points if I show, I had working experience in a different country as well.

Isn't that the case?

kassalh

Oct 20, 2015
This is giving me a headache now :(
I went through some forums and this is what I found out :

If you have RA experience in Canada you are eligible to apply under FSW. But we won't get any points for that.
So, this might be the same for RA experience accumulated outside of Canada as well.

If we don't get points, I don't think we can compete with other applicants in the pool.

my other question is, how many points we are going to loose ? (I used the tool to calculate points online. It gave me around 480 with one year experience in Canada + 1 year experience out side of Canada. if RA experience doesn't count towards point, what would be my new score roughly?)

martinsdaddy

Jul 24, 2015
Maldives
ybjianada said:
Hi, I am applying under the same NOC. My situation is similar to yours. My current job (3 years already) is a full time research position (outside Canada) that does not require enrollment in a university program. In fact, it is a Research Fellow position which requires an earned PhD degree. Initially, I thought of selecting 4011 (University Professors and Lecturers), but I don't think the duties would be a good fit, even though 'Postdoctoral Fellow' is listed under 'All Titles' under this NOC (My title is not exactly 'Postdoctoral Fellow' anyway).

Therefore, I selected 4012 instead. I did see the requirement about enrollment in a university/college program. However, I reasoned that this was meant as a minimal requirement – that if someone already has an earned degree, this should be considered as exceeding and therefore satisfying the requirement.

However, if Martinsdaddy is correct, then I'd be in big trouble.
As long as you have supporting documents as [rpff of employment, you won't be in any problem.

kassalh said:
This is giving me a headache now :(
I went through some forums and this is what I found out :

If you have RA experience in Canada you are eligible to apply under FSW. But we won't get any points for that.
So, this might be the same for RA experience accumulated outside of Canada as well.

If we don't get points, I don't think we can compete with other applicants in the pool.

my other question is, how many points we are going to loose ? (I used the tool to calculate points online. It gave me around 480 with one year experience in Canada + 1 year experience out side of Canada. if RA experience doesn't count towards point, what would be my new score roughly?)
I'm not quite sure, I'm understanding your position. Do you have a valid work permit? This should not be a co-op work permit. And initially you mentioned that you are studying for a master's degree here in Canada (for which you must be on a study permit, right?). Again, I emphasize, you cannot use your research assistant position here in Canada if you are on a student permit/visa, but you can use your RA position overseas.

amanjpro

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2015
AOR Received.
21-12-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2016
I think it is irrelevant whether you were a student meanwhile. This is because 'Employment requirements' refers to the usual requirements for getting the job, not something you have to do while you are doing it. This becomes clear when you look at other NOC descriptions. I randomly checked 4011 and 0311 to confirm my statement here. Good luck to all of you :)

Reactions: eastgwzh

kassalh

Oct 20, 2015
martinsdaddy said:
I'm not quite sure, I'm understanding your position. Do you have a valid work permit? This should not be a co-op work permit. And initially you mentioned that you are studying for a master's degree here in Canada (for which you must be on a study permit, right?). Again, I emphasize, you cannot use your research assistant position here in Canada if you are on a student permit/visa, but you can use your RA position overseas.[/font]
I came to Canada with a valid open work permit(my spouse was a student at that time. so I applied for work permit.) When I enrolled in the university I applied for a study permit as well. Currently I have both permits and my work permit will expire next month.

martinsdaddy

Jul 24, 2015
Maldives
amanjpro said:
I think it is irrelevant whether you were a student meanwhile. This is because 'Employment requirements' refers to the usual requirements for getting the job, not something you have to do while you are doing it. This becomes clear when you look at other NOC descriptions. I randomly checked 4011 and 0311 to confirm my statement here. Good luck to all of you :)
It is highly relevant. Please let's avoid misinforming people.
kassalh said:
I came to Canada with a valid open work permit(my spouse was a student at that time. so I applied for work permit.) When I enrolled in the university I applied for a study permit as well. Currently I have both permits and my work permit will expire next month.
Kassalh, This excerpt is directly from CIC's website. Everyone on this forum can provide their opinion, but it's up to you to make a decision. Do what's best for you. Please see excerpt and web link below. Good luck with your application and immigration process!
"Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/cec/work.asp

martinsdaddy

Jul 24, 2015
Maldives
martinsdaddy said:
It is highly relevant. Please let's avoid misinforming people.Kassalh, This excerpt is directly from CIC's website. Everyone on this forum can provide their opinion, but it's up to you to make a decision. Do what's best for you. Please see excerpt and web link below. Good luck with your application and immigration process!
"Any period of employment when the applicant was engaged in full-time study will not be included in calculating the period of qualifying work experience (e.g., work experience gained through co-op work permits, off-campus work permits while a full-time student and on-campus work permits). [R87.1(3)(a)]. Officers should verify the work permit information in GCMS."
In addition see link below. Again I emphasize, make your own decisions. You are educated enough. Nobody on this forum is an expert!! Good luck
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/fsw/minimum.asp

amanjpro

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2015
AOR Received.
21-12-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2016
martinsdaddy said:
It is highly relevant. Please let's avoid misinforming people.Kassalh, This excerpt is directly from CIC's website. Everyone on this forum can provide their opinion, but it's up to you to make a decision. Do what's best for you. Please see excerpt and web link below. Good luck with your application and immigration process!
This is only the case for experience gained in Canada. But if OP has gained experience anywhere else, then it's irrelevant weather he was a student at the time the experience is gained or not.

amanjpro

Star Member
Aug 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-12-2015
AOR Received.
21-12-2015
Passport Req..
13-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-05-2016
kassalh said:

What should I do?
Just to be clear, I'm only replying this part of your post. And from CIC webpage: "Note: The applicant does not need to demonstrate that they meet the “employment requirements” listed in the NOC occupational description."

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/econ/fsw/minimum.asp (Section: "Minimum work experience requirement")

Reactions: eastgwzh