+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Research assistant NOC 4012 in Canada

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
Any idea about the hours per week issue? I'm getting a letter from my supervisor for my RA experience, but he says that he can't write that I worked for 40 hours per week as the amount of RA paid is not enough even with minimum wage! Is it ok to skip it or what should I do?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ezio said:
Any idea about the hours per week issue? I'm getting a letter from my supervisor for my RA experience, but he says that he can't write that I worked for 40 hours per week as the amount of RA paid is not enough even with minimum wage! Is it ok to skip it or what should I do?
If you're claiming points for full-time work experience then you must have some sort of proof that you worked 30 or more hours per week.

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
If you're claiming points for full-time work experience then you must have some sort of proof that you worked 30 or more hours per week.
I'm not claiming points for the RA experience. This RA experience in Canada just make me eligible for the FSW program with no CRS points.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ezio said:
I'm not claiming points for the RA experience. This RA experience in Canada just make me eligible for the FSW program with no CRS points.
Assuming:

1 - You're claiming a year of continuous full-time work experience to be eligible under FSW - you still have to prove that you worked full-time.
or
2 - You're claiming a year of full-time work experience to have more than the required 67/100 points - you still have to prove that you worked full-time.

You are not claiming CRS points but you're still benefiting from working on a full-time basis (if that was actually the case).

ezio

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
DelPiero07 said:
Assuming:

1 - You're claiming a year of continuous full-time work experience to be eligible under FSW - you still have to prove that you worked full-time.
or
2 - You're claiming a year of full-time work experience to have more than the required 67/100 points - you still have to prove that you worked full-time.

You are not claiming CRS points but you're still benefiting from working on a full-time basis (if that was actually the case).
I understand your explanation. Yes I was working as RA full-time during my 2-year full-time Master program. He wrote that I was working full-time in the letter, and I can also get a letter from the university that I was full time student, but I don't think the university can write the number of hours. The thing is my RA salary was for a fixed amount every year and was not based on an hourly rate, but I was working for 8 hours everyday.

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Hi guys,

I have a question to those who got PR by showing RA/TA as their experience. I understand you put NOC 4012 for your work experience but what about your primary NOC code (the job you are intended to do in Canada)?
In another way, if you graduated in computer science and you only have research experience while doing your master’s on CS, then what would be your primary NOC? 4012 or any NOC that matches CS job duties?

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Your main NOC has to match your work experience NOT what you intend to do. Once you get the PR, you are free to choose what to do regardless of your NOC. For example, you are eligible ONLY when you have 1 year of work experience in your main NOC, so you can't choose a NOC in which you don't have any experience yet.
Thanks. That helps

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
The thing is, last year it would've been impossible to get an invitation without getting any points for work experience, so this type of situation is fairly new.

Yes, I've seen couple applicants who have applied with in such situation, but I do not know the outcome of their applications.
I applied with noc 4012 and claimed points under FSW. My eligibility is passed. Hope, I will receive PRR soon...

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
07-05-2017
AOR Received.
07-05-2017
Did you only have NOC 4012 experience in your application, or do you have more experience under PGWP? Thanks!
I have Canadian experience as well ..

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Thank you DelPiero07 for your confirmation. Do you know someone who got PR this way? What I'm really afraid of is that it may be ok in the EE system and shows eligibility for FSW, but the immigration officer refuse to count it as a work experience eligibility for FSW and reject the application. Do you have any thoughts about this issue?
Hi Ezio,

I'm under the same situation. My work experience is only as a Research Assistant.
I applied for EE and got an invitation. I'm eligible under FSW but didn't get any points under the CRS. That's fine as I got enough points from language and education.
Hi Guys,

Have got the PR by claiming RA/TA experience in Canada alone? I have applied with Canadian NOC 4012 experience with no other foreign experience and I am really afraid of the outcome. Could you please make sure if everything went well with your application?

karthik506

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
4011 & 4012
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......