+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RESCHEDULING OATH TAKING DATE: PROCESS? CONSEQUENCES?

Canadienne

Nov 22, 2008
We need to reschedule our citizenship oath taking ceremony. We are currently working as expats in China and have professional and financial issues preventing us from attending the ceremony next week.

Our questions are:

1.how do we reschedule?
2. can we rescehedule it to a preferred date? Say 6 months from now?
3. If we can not attend this time, would our file be "lost in the system" as some friends have warned us. Meaning that we may not get another call for 2-4 years or have the citizenship oath get postponed indefinitely?

This is really urgent and any anwers would be very gratefully received.

Thank you
Stuck in China.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My letter of notification to attend the ceremony said that if you cannot attend the ceremony, you can write them a letter within 60 days and convince them that you had a good reason why you could not attend and they will give you another date. If they did not think you had a good reason, you can forget your application and apply again.

I phoned the CIC call center before I got this letter because I was planning to travel around that time and I wanted to know if I could pick a date later that would be better for me and they said no, if you can't make it on the date they give you, they will give you another date when it is suitable for them. If you write in your letter of why you can't attend that you will be back in 6 months, they may take that into consideration. Then again, they might feel that you are not really interested anymore. Who knows.

I don't know anybody who had to reschedule but I heard about somebody who had failed the test and was waiting for his interview and he had been waiting for a year.

If you are a couple and one of you can make it to the ceremony, as long as you are together, the other one will not lose their PR due to residency requirements. Just a thought.

limits

May 13, 2015
Do anything you need to come to Canada and take that damn oath man. Take a loan if you have to. Do you really want to again wait god knows how many months? Rather figure out some way to quickly come to Canada, even if just for 1 week, take the oath and head back to China after.

Reactions: Grand Jumper

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Do anything you need to come to Canada and take that damn oath man. Take a loan if you have to. Do you really want to again wait god knows how many months? Rather figure out some way to quickly come to Canada, even if just for 1 week, take the oath and head back to China after.
you do realize that this post is almost 13 years old, right?
ROFL! I'm sure I've done this mistake when I was new to the forum!

Last edited:
Reactions: limits

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
LMAO, but to keep it relevant and to serve as a warning, here is a case of someone on another immigration forum (but the OP is in English) whose request to reschedule the oath ceremony got denied (she tried to reason a pregnancy) and her application was ultimately considered abandoned.

I suppose it’s a bit more lenient these days due to the pandemic and current travel restrictions.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
LMAO, but to keep it relevant and to serve as a warning, here is a case of someone on another immigration forum (but the OP is in English) whose request to reschedule the oath ceremony got denied (she tried to reason a pregnancy) and her application was ultimately considered abandoned.

I suppose it’s a bit more lenient these days due to the pandemic and current travel restrictions.
Hmmm that is an interesting case you linked. Well, unfortunately, she assumed she became a Canadian citizen BEFORE taking the oath, which isn't correct. I think if she had provided evidence for taking care of her brother and also told them that she already lost a brother earlier due to an unknown illness, IRCC might have considered this request on humanitarian grounds. But she requested postponement citing pregnancy as the reason when she was only in her first trimester, which I think is a safe time for air travel and any regular travel in general. IRCC might have rejected her request to postpone because of this.

And yes, currently, if you are outside the country, you get a postponement approved, no-questions-asked.

Reactions: bellaluna