+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Rescheduling oath ceremony

neerkanish23

Apr 17, 2023
Hi all,
I am wondering if anyone has recently requested IRCC to reschedule their virtual Canadian citizenship oath ceremony? if so, how long did that take?
I was scheduled to attend the virtual ceremony on March 13, 2023 but was out of the country at that time. I replied to the email in the notice and they asked me to inform them when I get back to the country, I provided them with my tentative return date in May but now i am coming back in June.

Should i update them with the new return date? Once i return, how long would they take to reschedule the ceremony?

Do they automatically reschedule the ceremony after a weeks or they wait to hear from applicant when they return to schedule it?

Has anyone gone through something similar? please help, thank you!

fulton1712

Star Member
Jun 27, 2022
Alberta
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
08-10-2019
Did you get a new date? i have requested for reschedule as well but i have not got any response yet.
My daughter was schedule for April 5, 2023, but could not attend because she was out of country. She got an update yesterday for a new date, so roughly it took about two months to reschedule a new date.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Will we have a choice to opt for the Oath ceremony date if rescheduled?

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Hi,

I am currently outside of Canada and sent an email for the Oath ceremony to be rescheduled or take from outside Canada. I was looking that it will be rescheduled, but I received an email below. Has anyone gone through this process? Please share your thoughts on what can be done in this situation.

Is it good to take this option as I may be coming back after a year or is it better to go back to Canada and then get it rescheduled?

Good day,

Thank you for your email. Although you must be physically in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship, you can request permission from the Registrar of Citizenship to take your Oath while you are outside of Canada; these requests are being considered as exceptional cases. In the event that your request is approved, it is important for you to know the following:

o The decision by the Registrar could take up to 2-3 months

o You will be asked to destroy your Permanent Resident Card during the ceremony.

o It may take up to 6 months for you to receive your certificate after the ceremony as your certificate will be sent to the Canadian Mission closest to you. (excludes clients in the USA)

o Before applying for your Canadian passport, you will need to wait to receive your citizenship certificate.

o For Canadian citizens, including dual Canadian citizens, you must present an acceptable travel document that shows that you are a Canadian to enter Canada. This means you need a valid Canadian passport (or a Canadian travel document issued in urgent situations) to allow airline check-in staff and border officials to confirm that you are Canadian.

o Depending on the laws and regulations of your current country of citizenship or the country where you are presently living, there may be some complexities should you become a dual national abroad (i.e. access to Canadian consular services, travel requirements, etc.). Note that you may not have proof of Canadian citizenship for 6 months. It is recommended that you confirm whether any complexities exist before considering to take the oath outside of Canada.

Should you still wish to pursue this request, please provide, in writing to this e-mail address your present circumstances and reasons for your request to take the oath from outside of Canada for consideration by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship. When possible, do not hesitate to provide supporting documentation.

Please note that if you proceed with this request, you will be cancelled from your upcoming ceremony as you cannot take the oath while awaiting the Registrar’s decision.

Thanks in advance!

Alsalma

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Hi,

I am currently outside of Canada and sent an email for the Oath ceremony to be rescheduled or take from outside Canada. I was looking that it will be rescheduled, but I received an email below. Has anyone gone through this process? Please share your thoughts on what can be done in this situation.

Is it good to take this option as I may be coming back after a year or is it better to go back to Canada and then get it rescheduled?

Good day,

Thank you for your email. Although you must be physically in Canada to take the Oath of Citizenship, you can request permission from the Registrar of Citizenship to take your Oath while you are outside of Canada; these requests are being considered as exceptional cases. In the event that your request is approved, it is important for you to know the following:

o The decision by the Registrar could take up to 2-3 months

o You will be asked to destroy your Permanent Resident Card during the ceremony.

o It may take up to 6 months for you to receive your certificate after the ceremony as your certificate will be sent to the Canadian Mission closest to you. (excludes clients in the USA)

o Before applying for your Canadian passport, you will need to wait to receive your citizenship certificate.

o For Canadian citizens, including dual Canadian citizens, you must present an acceptable travel document that shows that you are a Canadian to enter Canada. This means you need a valid Canadian passport (or a Canadian travel document issued in urgent situations) to allow airline check-in staff and border officials to confirm that you are Canadian.

o Depending on the laws and regulations of your current country of citizenship or the country where you are presently living, there may be some complexities should you become a dual national abroad (i.e. access to Canadian consular services, travel requirements, etc.). Note that you may not have proof of Canadian citizenship for 6 months. It is recommended that you confirm whether any complexities exist before considering to take the oath outside of Canada.

Should you still wish to pursue this request, please provide, in writing to this e-mail address your present circumstances and reasons for your request to take the oath from outside of Canada for consideration by the Registrar of Canadian Citizenship. When possible, do not hesitate to provide supporting documentation.

Please note that if you proceed with this request, you will be cancelled from your upcoming ceremony as you cannot take the oath while awaiting the Registrar’s decision.

Thanks in advance!
Interesting email, I did ask for a reschedule as I am currently outside of canada for education purposes with the intention to go back of course to live canada but not before next year. I sent my request by email and received a call right aways confirming that I should not attend the ceremony but no email like yours and am still waiting for a reschedule and would go in person if so. I think it is safer to go back to canada if you can and finish the process but if you are abroad for a valid reason like I dunno taking care of a kid or were sent by a canadian company abroad, take this option. But I feel that if you are abroad because on long holidays or digital nomading or any reason that does not sound like an emergency you will probably be refused that... that's my take and is in no way sure 100%. Good luck

Femo22

Mar 2, 2023
Its exactly 6months now have been waiting to be reschedule for citizenship oath ceremony yet no update from them
please any info on how long it take to get new date

fulton1712

Star Member
Jun 27, 2022
Alberta
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
08-10-2019
Its exactly 6months now have been waiting to be reschedule for citizenship oath ceremony yet no update from them
please any info on how long it take to get new date
It took my daughter two months after the initial date to get a new date. Try sending them a webform and also follow up with a call.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
Interesting email, I did ask for a reschedule as I am currently outside of canada for education purposes with the intention to go back of course to live canada but not before next year. I sent my request by email and received a call right aways confirming that I should not attend the ceremony but no email like yours and am still waiting for a reschedule and would go in person if so. I think it is safer to go back to canada if you can and finish the process but if you are abroad for a valid reason like I dunno taking care of a kid or were sent by a canadian company abroad, take this option. But I feel that if you are abroad because on long holidays or digital nomading or any reason that does not sound like an emergency you will probably be refused that... that's my take and is in no way sure 100%. Good luck
Continuing on the above discussion.

Good day,

As per your request, this email confirms that you were cancelled from your ceremony on June 21, 2023.

As per the citizenship program guidance, we will consider postponement of your ceremony for a maximum of six (6) months, which in your case would be until December 21, 2023. You will be rescheduled automatically once your unavailability period has ended. Although we try our best to accommodate personal circumstances, we cannot hold your file indefinitely. In this regard, since no further postponement date will be considered, your next ceremony may be a FINAL Notice to Appear.

Received the above email. I am worried that if I still be able to attend during the 6 month period. So what should I respond to this email? Should I wait until it is rescheduled and then request again?

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
No. What you ARE going to do is appear on your next date. They’re not asking you to come. They are telling you. It’s a summons and they’ve already told you it could be a final notice. If you fail to appear, your application is cancelled, your money is not refunded, and you’ve wasted their time, taken up a place in the processing that could have gone to someone else who would have had their citizenship by now. There are only three reasons to not appear, you’re giving birth, you’re in jail, or you’re dead.

It may not be the answer you want but it is the answer you need and also one that probably quite a few here are thinking. People who have waited years to get to this point.

Sep 20, 2023
I was scheduled to attend the ceremony on March 7th but, I was out of the country at that time. I asked for rescheduling and asked for status many times but did not get any response yet. I even called them and they said they would allot me to a judge as soon as one becomes available. It has been more than 6 months now.

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
I was scheduled to attend the ceremony on March 7th but, I was out of the country at that time. I asked for rescheduling and asked for status many times but did not get any response yet. I even called them and they said they would allot me to a judge as soon as one becomes available. It has been more than 6 months now.
You didn’t attend the virtual oath ceremony? Why not? What was your reason for rescheduling?

lysistratarex

Jan 19, 2023
I emailed them requesting a new date since i have class, but they never got back to me. I found out that I can actually attend the ceremony on the original date! Can I still go?