+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reschedule the citizenship exam or miss it. Which is better ?

oceankairouan

May 4, 2014
Hi,

I am in a special situation. After I applied for the citizenship (Montreal office), I had to miss a first exam convocation due to being abroad taking care of a family member. In my letter I told them that I am available after April.

Now , I am back to Canada and I changed my address 2 weeks ago and 2 days after I changed my address online they sent me a second notice to write the exam. the problem is that they sent my notice to my old mailing address even if it was already changed online and I only came to know 2 days before the exam.

I am currently in West Canada for an internship and prefer to have another chance to write the exam :

Do you think it is better to :

1- miss the exam and send them a letter telling that they sent my exam to an older address and I got no time to come or

2-call CIC by phone and re-schedule the exam for a 3rd time ?

I am afraid if I call them, they will not accept my reason even if I am still in Canada (especially it is the 2nd attempt).

Any suggestions/advice for the best option, especially that this is the second time I had to bypass the exam !

Please I need an urgent answer.

Thanks

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Attend the test at all costs - you already got a 'get out of jail' card with the second chance. If you miss this one or try to re-schedule CIC will either close your file out or RQ and/or schedule you to meet with a CJ for a full oral hearing. Rules were changed and you need a good reason to miss a test/oath - as per CIC list death or serious illness including of a family member are the only valid excuses (seems this why you got a pass last time).

Anything else especially if it pertains to a busy work schedule or a delayed/ short notice change of address doesn't cut it. You don't want to see the CJ - if you do then you will be lucky to oath before we have a new Prime Minister.

If you are still unsure read the sections of the forum here with the words RQ/ CJ hearing/ Mandamus in the subject line for timelines and weep!

believe13

Star Member
Sep 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
Attend the test at all costs - you already got a 'get out of jail' card with the second chance. If you miss this one or try to re-schedule CIC will either close your file out or RQ and/or schedule you to meet with a CJ for a full oral hearing. Rules were changed and you need a good reason to miss a test/oath - as per CIC list death or serious illness including of a family member are the only valid excuses (seems this why you got a pass last time).

Anything else especially if it pertains to a busy work schedule or a delayed/ short notice change of address doesn't cut it. You don't want to see the CJ - if you do then you will be lucky to oath before we have a new Prime Minister.

If you are still unsure read the sections of the forum here with the words RQ/ CJ hearing/ Mandamus in the subject line for timelines and weep!
As Msfari said "your playing with fire" I dont think they will reschedule again, this time you're in Canada so make the effort...but it depends how much you need/want citizenship?!

mtl2014

Star Member
Mar 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iam with the opinion of msafiri and believe ,you should pass the test ,its not very difficult ,you can study the book for one night and pass the test .my wife learned one day and got 20/20 .dont be afraid .if you miss this new chance you can say bye bye to the citizenship.dont be silly man pass it.

oceankairouan

May 4, 2014
But in the official CIC help center citizenship page they say we can change the exam date by calling them :

I am confused now !

Below is the citation from the CIC webpage

Can I reschedule my citizenship test if I cannot attend it?

Yes. If you are not available on the date and time of your citizenship test, contact the Call Centre. We will schedule your test on a different date.

If you do not attend the test, you must contact the Call Centre within 60 days of the test date. Tell us why you did not attend the test. We will schedule your test on a different date if you have a valid reason. If you do not contact CIC within 60 days after missing the test, we will close your application. You will have to apply for citizenship again.

This situation applies to both the first time you write the citizenship test and the re-test if you failed the written test the first time.

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
oceankairouan said:
Hi,

I am in a special situation. After I applied for the citizenship (Montreal office), I had to miss a first exam convocation due to being abroad taking care of a family member. In my letter I told them that I am available after April.

Now , I am back to Canada and I changed my address 2 weeks ago and 2 days after I changed my address online they sent me a second notice to write the exam. the problem is that they sent my notice to my old mailing address even if it was already changed online and I only came to know 2 days before the exam.

I am currently in West Canada for an internship and prefer to have another chance to write the exam :

1- miss the exam and send them a letter telling that they sent my exam to an older address and I got no time to come or

I am afraid if I call them, they will not accept my reason even if I am still in Canada (especially it is the 2nd attempt).

Any suggestions/advice for the best option, especially that this is the second time I had to bypass the exam !

Thanks

[/quo

I cant believe this...you had NOT JUST ONE,BUT TWO,TWO FKIN TEST INVITES AND BOTCHED THEM.ALL!!!!UNBELIEVABLE....I REPEAT UNBELIEVABLE!!!! You definitely dont deserve canadian citizenship,you had your chance,not just one but twice and u miss them all and now you want a third one? What happens after you miss the "third"?? ask for a fourth? Then miss that one and ask for a fifth and perhaps a sixth?? Its "applicants" like you that clog the system for the rest of us...i will be writing personally to minister Alex to do more to curb "applicants"that arent serious about citizenship so you are quickly expunged from the system...so step aside now, some of us who are actualy serious about this are waiting to write our tests,obviously pass and take our oaths.The new citizenship rules coming into effect hopefull by the fall will test pple like u if u r serious or not to undertake canadian cutizenship..step aside now please.

mtl2014

Star Member
Mar 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MR Stephen Harper said:
oceankairouan said:
Hi,

Thanks

[/quo

I cant believe this...you had NOT JUST ONE,BUT TWO,TWO FKIN TEST INVITES AND BOTCHED THEM.ALL!!!!UNBELIEVABLE....I REPEAT UNBELIEVABLE!!!! You definitely dont deserve canadian citizenship,you had your chance,not just one but twice and u miss them all and now you want a third one? What happens after you miss the "third"?? ask for a fourth? Then miss that one and ask for a fifth and perhaps a sixth?? Its "applicants" like you that clog the system for the rest of us...i will be writing personally to minister Alex to do more to curb "applicants"that arent serious about citizenship so you are quickly expunged from the system...so step aside now, some of us who are actualy serious about this are waiting to write our tests,obviously pass and take our oaths.The new citizenship rules coming into effect hopefull by the fall will test pple like u if u r serious or not to undertake canadian cutizenship..step aside now please.
I definitely thinck that this guy is not here in canada ,but still in Morocco ,and is hoping that CIC will wait for him forever.
note: when you do not attempt a first test invitation you will automatically get an RQ. im sure of that.

MR Stephen Harper

Jan 12, 2014
mtl2014 said:
I definitely thinck that this guy is not here in canada ,but still in Morocco ,and is hoping that CIC will wait for him forever.
note: when you do not attempt a first test invitation you will automatically get an RQ. im sure of that.
hahaha...well said!This guy is definitely still in Marakesh to be exact...he wants CIC to continously make provisions for him endlessly! This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and he has botched them all...like really!! Now he wants a third one?Whayt happens when he misses that due to "taking care of a family member oversees"??He will want a fourth,miss that one then a fifth,miss that one then a sixth...untill when?? I dont even believe his first excuse of.missing his first exam,nor the second...makes no sense....noone oversees could care for his family member,so he had to fly all the way to marakesh and then all of a sudden " move ?" it takes 5 business days to have your address changed in the system,so he could have done so the second he was sure he was moving and ASKED CANADA POST TO HOLD HIS MAIL AND FORWARD IT TO A NEW ADDRESS.Infact thats the first thing he should have done.This guy isNOT SERIOUS,HE IS JUST WASTING OUR TIME...THese are the pple who clog the system for the rest of us and never ever have a serious intention to become a citizen...or could just be a fraudster looking for advice on how to cheat the system so he can full proof his "application!"

oceankairouan

May 4, 2014
What ??! Morocco ? I did not get it ? what is the relation of my post and Morroco ? I was hoping to get some advice not some impolite insults.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oceankairouan said:
Hi,

Thanks
If I were you, I would spend some money and fly to MOntreal and write the test there because of three reasons:

1. To get it done.
2. You failed to give them sufficient time (60 days) notice of change of address.
3. DO not take any chances.

Maybe for the oath make sure you tell them your new address.

Congratulations.

mtl2014

Star Member
Mar 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oceankairouan said:
What ??! Morocco ? I did not get it ? what is the relation of my post and Morroco ? I was hoping to get some advice not some impolite insults.
sorry not morocco but tunisia .kairouan is in tunisia ;D

oceankairouan

May 4, 2014
In fact, I am not in a hurry to get my citizenship, since I am already a PR and I live already in Canada, so if they give me the citizenship I will be happy, if not I will be still happy with my current citizenship and the PR status can be extended each 5 years for ever anyway...so please do not over react, not everyone is killing himself to get the Canadian citizenship unless his current citizenship is making his life miserable and he want to get the privileges of the Canadian passport. Have a life, this not the end of world. Citizenship or not, life is short and we should behave in a good manner even if you are hidden under an Internet Nickname. Best.

oceankairouan

May 4, 2014
mtl2014 said:
sorry not morocco but tunisia .kairouan is in tunisia ;D
No way, you assumed my country of origin from my nickname ? wrong answer, I am from Romania and I love Kairouan. But why you care about my origins anyway.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oceankairouan said:
In fact, I am not in a hurry to get my citizenship, since I am already a PR and I live already in Canada, so if they give me the citizenship I will be happy, if not I will be still happy with my current citizenship and the PR status can be extended each 5 years for ever anyway...so please do not over react, not everyone is killing himself to get the Canadian citizenship unless his current citizenship is making his life miserable and he want to get the privileges of the Canadian passport. Have a life, this not the end of world. Citizenship or not, life is short and we should behave in a good manner even if you are hidden under an Internet Nickname. Best.
Agreed. Give them a phone call 18882422100 and let them know or fax the Montreal office of your change of address so that they will transfer your file to your new place....

boasorte

Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Halifax
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What's up with all the negative replies? Come on, guys.

Just a heads up that PR status does not require extension, per se. As long as you follow the requirements to maintain your status, you will have it forever. What needs extension, however, is the PR card. That needs to be extended every 5 years if you want to be able to leave and re-enter the country.