+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Required List of Documents while going to Canada for the First Time on Study Visa

Mr_Kumar

Feb 2, 2023
Ghaziabad
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
28 Oct 2022
Med's Done....
21 Nov 2022
Hi All,

I want to know the documents to take while going to Canada for the First Time on Study Visa.

Next, I specifically want to know.... is it mandatory to carry a First-Year Fee Receipt?

Actually, I applied for Jan 2023 intake but my visa approval got late and I received a passport request in March 2023. Now I deferred it for Sept 2023 intake, but my college Refunded all fees that I paid for Jan 2023 intake. Now, I have an acceptance letter for Sept 2023, but the Fee for the first year is not paid yet.

My question is... Is it mandatory to pay the whole first-year fee? Or I can pay for the first semester only? Will Canadian authorities ask for the first-year fee receipt at the Airport?

Another thing... I used an FD along with GIC & 1-year Fee receipt when I applied for a Study permit. Will the Canadian authorities check that FD at the airport? Or I can use the FD money now?

What other documents are important to carry besides.... Letter of Acceptance, Letter of Introduction, GIC, Medical Certificate, and Passport with Visa stuck to it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi All,

I want to know the documents to take while going to Canada for the First Time on Study Visa.

Next, I specifically want to know.... is it mandatory to carry a First-Year Fee Receipt?

Actually, I applied for Jan 2023 intake but my visa approval got late and I received a passport request in March 2023. Now I deferred it for Sept 2023 intake, but my college Refunded all fees that I paid for Jan 2023 intake. Now, I have an acceptance letter for Sept 2023, but the Fee for the first year is not paid yet.

My question is... Is it mandatory to pay the whole first-year fee? Or I can pay for the first semester only? Will Canadian authorities ask for the first-year fee receipt at the Airport?

Another thing... I used an FD along with GIC & 1-year Fee receipt when I applied for a Study permit. Will the Canadian authorities check that FD at the airport? Or I can use the FD money now?

What other documents are important to carry besides.... Letter of Acceptance, Letter of Introduction, GIC, Medical Certificate, and Passport with Visa stuck to it?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Proof of funds, so confirmation of the GIC. and bank statement. The tuition fee schedule should have been listed on your LOA, it won't hurt to have a copy of that receipt with you. What is a FD?

Reactions: Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar

Feb 2, 2023
Ghaziabad
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
28 Oct 2022
Med's Done....
21 Nov 2022
Proof of funds, so confirmation of the GIC. and bank statement. The tuition fee schedule should have been listed on your LOA, it won't hurt to have a copy of that receipt with you. What is a FD?
Thanks for your reply. My college returned the whole fee (after deducting $500). Now, I have the visa but the first-year tuition fee is not deposited (Just $1000 paid as a deposit to get new LOA for the Sept-2023 intake). So, I am thinking if I can pay the fee semester-wise then why not go for it?

FD means fixed deposit.

Thanks

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thanks for your reply. My college returned the whole fee (after deducting $500). Now, I have the visa but the first-year tuition fee is not deposited (Just $1000 paid as a deposit to get new LOA for the Sept-2023 intake). So, I am thinking if I can pay the fee semester-wise then why not go for it?

FD means fixed deposit.

Thanks
It isn't a IRCC or CBSA requirement to pay the whole tuition in advance, just that you have the funds to pay for it. It is up to the school how their payment schedule is set up. If your LOA or other correspondence doesn't specify then you should contact the schools admission department to get that info. When you land in Canada CBSA might ask to see your proof of funds, between your GIC and FD you would still be required to show funds for 1st year tuition and living expenses. So it really depends on how much $$ you have in the GIC whether you would want to use money from your FD now.

Reactions: Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar

Feb 2, 2023
Ghaziabad
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
28 Oct 2022
Med's Done....
21 Nov 2022
It isn't a IRCC or CBSA requirement to pay the whole tuition in advance, just that you have the funds to pay for it. It is up to the school how their payment schedule is set up. If your LOA or other correspondence doesn't specify then you should contact the schools admission department to get that info. When you land in Canada CBSA might ask to see your proof of funds, between your GIC and FD you would still be required to show funds for 1st year tuition and living expenses. So it really depends on how much $$ you have in the GIC whether you would want to use money from your FD now.
Thank you, dear. Your answer gave me good confidence.

I have $10,100 in GIC
Planning to pay tuition fee for first term upfront (half amount of full-year fee).
Planning to keep an FD of 10 Lac INR (around $16,000 CAD).
I guess, this should be sufficient?

The FD is in my wife's account. I have a marriage certificate. Will that work? Or I should shift it to my own account?

Is it important to carry.....
~my original education certificates?
~IELTS certificate (which is now expired; 2 years gone just after receiving LOA from college & VISA from IRCC)?
~Company documents? (as I run a company and shown documents in the study permit application)
~Biometrics certificate (issued by IRCC itself)?
~Other ID documents like PAN card, Driving license, etc? I used my PAN card in the study permit application.
~A copy of my house registry?

Thanks for your help