+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request Letter - Passport Copies

nikaum123

Dec 15, 2020
Hello Forum,

I completed my test last friday and today I received a "Request Letter" asking for a copy of my passports as well as official translations of it (including stamps) if in another language.

I contacted a big translation company, specialized in IRCC translations and they said this is an unusual request (translation of stamps). When the guy in the company said that, I started trying to double check if the email request was a scam. It doesn`t look like (it even has my Application ID in the doc).

Has anyone passed through a similar situation?

Thanks. Nicolas.

Stuntxd9

May 4, 2015
Visa Office......
KNGVO
App. Filed.......
April 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
Hello Forum,

I completed my test last friday and today I received a "Request Letter" asking for a copy of my passports as well as official translations of it (including stamps) if in another language.

I contacted a big translation company, specialized in IRCC translations and they said this is an unusual request (translation of stamps). When the guy in the company said that, I started trying to double check if the email request was a scam. It doesn`t look like (it even has my Application ID in the doc).

Thanks. Nicolas.
It is a normal procedure. Have it done asap. Oath invitation is near.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello Forum,

Thanks. Nicolas.
So many applicants receive this and there is nothing out of the ordinary here. The translation company is wrong.

Several September 2020 applicants have received this request in the past 3 days (including myself).

Reactions: Hapique

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
i have no idea why they will request this again if we submitted it with our package already
The requirement until June 16th 2021 was to submit only the biographic pages of the passport and not all pages. So, most applicants submitted only the bio pages as per the requirement. IRCC is requesting all pages of the passport to verify if we've truthfully declared the trips on the physical presence calculator.

Reactions: baimmeb

baimmeb

Nov 21, 2016
Calgary, AB
The requirement until June 16th 2021 was to submit only the biographic pages of the passport and not all pages. So, most applicants submitted only the bio pages as per the requirement. IRCC is requesting all pages of the passport to verify if we've truthfully declared the trips on the physical presence calculator.
ohhhh okay i see thats why ...

nikaum123

Dec 15, 2020
The funny thing is that a couple of stamps are not perfect and sometimes hard to read, for example, not being stamped fully or missing a part (at countries customs you really don`t ask them to stamp it again because it wasn`t stamped perfectly lol...)

popek90

Star Member
Jul 8, 2020
I didn't receive such a request, do you know if they ask everyone, or is it random?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I didn't receive such a request, do you know if they ask everyone, or is it random?
No no, in this thread we are talking about the documentation when submitting your citizenship application. We submitted only bio pages of the passport with application. But now, applicants are being asked to submit all the pages of the passport along with the citizenship application.

What you are asking is the passport pages request that usually comes after test. Not everyone receives this request. Several September 2020 applicants received it in the past week. Its okay if you don't receive it, your application will go straight to DM.

Good luck!

Stuntxd9

May 4, 2015
Visa Office......
KNGVO
App. Filed.......
April 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
I have a question guys!
What is the reason behind translating stamp(s) in a passport even if the date is nowhere near close to your eligibilty period for citizenship?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I have a question guys!
What is the reason behind translating stamp(s) in a passport even if the date is nowhere near close to your eligibilty period for citizenship?
As a general rule, IRCC wants to know all the content of there is in all of the documents that you submit. I understand where your question is coming from but that is something that we can't argue with IRCC, I guess. Anything on the passport that isn't in English or French, IRCC wants a certified translation for that.

Reactions: Stuntxd9

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have a question guys!
It warrants some emphasis that the reason for requiring a document containing information not in an official language be accompanied by a proper translation is the same for all documents, for almost all processing of applications made to IRCC, and that is so IRCC can read and assess the information submitted without speculation as to the meaning or relevance of the information that is not in an official language.

Sure, sometimes without a translation the meaning is clear, or the lack of relevance is readily apparent. Does not affect how the instructions apply.

It might affect how IRCC responds. It is quite common for citizenship applicants to submit or present a passport without translating all stamps not in an official language, and not encounter a problem, no request for a translation, no non-routine processing, no delays. Been there, did that, took the oath less than 48 hours after my interview during which I presented a passport which did indeed include older stamps not in English, not in French. I had my excuses (got the notice to attend the interview months before I was expecting it, and that notice was just a week before the interview, with no time to arrange for a translation; yeah, as I too often do, I had not been following my own advice and was not prepared in advance; there was that and I forgot those older stamps included some language not English or French).

So, the instructions are clear. The enforcement, however, varies. As I have often noted, IRCC does not play gotcha-games. If it does not matter, it usually does not matter.

But of course just a more or less obvious failure to follow the instructions can be a factor in how an official assesses an individual. Even though it would not take much for a reasonably well-informed individual to determine, without a translation, the meaning and import, including lack of import, of the information, whether a processing agent or citizenship officer might still request a translation or otherwise see the failure to provide one as cause to elevate scrutiny in the case, is not easily predicted. Obviously, the safe approach is to follow the instructions. The instructions unequivocally say to provide a translation.

In any event, the reason why a translation is required is not about the reason why the document is requested or the information in the document is of interest to IRCC. If a document is required, or an applicant otherwise chooses to include a document (in effect asking IRCC to consider it), any information that is not in an official language needs to be translated. The answer to the "do I need a translation for . . . " question does not depend on what the document is or what it is for. It depends on (1) whether the document is being submitted or presented to IRCC, and (2) whether it contains information not in an official language. If both are true, the instructions say to provide a translation.

I have in the past referenced and linked a PDI which makes it clear this applies virtually universally. Particular instructions, including those applicable to citizenship applications, typically make multiple references to this. Thus, even if a particular request for this or that document does not itself explicitly REPEAT the instruction to include a translation if the document contains information not in an official language, there is NO DOUBT, basically unless excepted in some way, the instructions clearly call for any information that is not in an official language be accompanied by a proper translation.

In contrast, obviously, the reason why this or that document is requested, or the information in this or that document is of interest to IRCC, is particular to the document and the kind of information IRCC wants from the applicant. Even though most people tend to focus on IRCC cross-referencing travel history information with entry or exit stamps in the passport, information in passports can be examined and assessed for multiple reasons. Note, for example, visa stamps are likely to get more attention than mere entry/exit stamps.

Moreover, remember that the "reason" for a request by IRCC does not limit the scope of how IRCC uses the information.

Someone recently referred to the reason why IRCC asks for employment history, for example, saying the reason was to assess the applicant's physical presence, which is mostly true, but added "not for anything else," likewise essentially true but potentially overlooking the extent to which IRCC can and rather often will cross-check or cross-reference, and correlate information, for various reasons. The most common reason any information or document provided is examined, beyond the specific reason for requesting the particular information, is to evaluate the individual's credibility. But again, the scope of how IRCC uses any information provided is not limited to any particular reason.

Reactions: Stuntxd9

Stuntxd9

May 4, 2015
Visa Office......
KNGVO
App. Filed.......
April 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
It warrants some emphasis that the reason for requiring a document containing information not in an official language be accompanied by a proper translation is the same for all documents, for almost all processing of applications made to IRCC, and that is so IRCC can read and assess the information submitted without speculation as to the meaning or relevance of the information that is not in an official language.

Sure, sometimes without a translation the meaning is clear, or the lack of relevance is readily apparent. Does not affect how the instructions apply.

It might affect how IRCC responds. It is quite common for citizenship applicants to submit or present a passport without translating all stamps not in an official language, and not encounter a problem, no request for a translation, no non-routine processing, no delays. Been there, did that, took the oath less than 48 hours after my interview during which I presented a passport which did indeed include older stamps not in English, not in French. I had my excuses (got the notice to attend the interview months before I was expecting it, and that notice was just a week before the interview, with no time to arrange for a translation; yeah, as I too often do, I had not been following my own advice and was not prepared in advance; there was that and I forgot those older stamps included some language not English or French).

So, the instructions are clear. The enforcement, however, varies. As I have often noted, IRCC does not play gotcha-games. If it does not matter, it usually does not matter.

But of course just a more or less obvious failure to follow the instructions can be a factor in how an official assesses an individual. Even though it would not take much for a reasonably well-informed individual to determine, without a translation, the meaning and import, including lack of import, of the information, whether a processing agent or citizenship officer might still request a translation or otherwise see the failure to provide one as cause to elevate scrutiny in the case, is not easily predicted. Obviously, the safe approach is to follow the instructions. The instructions unequivocally say to provide a translation.

In any event, the reason why a translation is required is not about the reason why the document is requested or the information in the document is of interest to IRCC. If a document is required, or an applicant otherwise chooses to include a document (in effect asking IRCC to consider it), any information that is not in an official language needs to be translated. The answer to the "do I need a translation for . . . " question does not depend on what the document is or what it is for. It depends on (1) whether the document is being submitted or presented to IRCC, and (2) whether it contains information not in an official language. If both are true, the instructions say to provide a translation.

I have in the past referenced and linked a PDI which makes it clear this applies virtually universally. Particular instructions, including those applicable to citizenship applications, typically make multiple references to this. Thus, even if a particular request for this or that document does not itself explicitly REPEAT the instruction to include a translation if the document contains information not in an official language, there is NO DOUBT, basically unless excepted in some way, the instructions clearly call for any information that is not in an official language be accompanied by a proper translation.

In contrast, obviously, the reason why this or that document is requested, or the information in this or that document is of interest to IRCC, is particular to the document and the kind of information IRCC wants from the applicant. Even though most people tend to focus on IRCC cross-referencing travel history information with entry or exit stamps in the passport, information in passports can be examined and assessed for multiple reasons. Note, for example, visa stamps are likely to get more attention than mere entry/exit stamps.

Moreover, remember that the "reason" for a request by IRCC does not limit the scope of how IRCC uses the information.

Someone recently referred to the reason why IRCC asks for employment history, for example, saying the reason was to assess the applicant's physical presence, which is mostly true, but added "not for anything else," likewise essentially true but potentially overlooking the extent to which IRCC can and rather often will cross-check or cross-reference, and correlate information, for various reasons. The most common reason any information or document provided is examined, beyond the specific reason for requesting the particular information, is to evaluate the individual's credibility. But again, the scope of how IRCC uses any information provided is not limited to any particular reason.
Thank you for your input. I did not receive a request to submit passport pages however, I'm being proactive and have the stamps translated.