+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request for advice

jamshad

Star Member
Apr 13, 2010
Dear forum members
May i request ur kind advice on my complicated situation. I could not meet residency obligations due to my personal obligations to family due to that my PR expired since 2010. Now What r the chances to return and what are the options in hand to enter. Appriciated ur help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your chances aren't that good given it's been five years since your PR card expired.

It appears you hold a non-visa exempt passport. If that's the case, your only hope for trying to keep your PR status is to obtain a US visitor visa and then to try to re-enter Canada by land from the US using a private car. You must still have your CORP (landing papers) if you want to try this. Note that there's no guarantee this will work.

If you are able to re-enter Canada successfully, you will have to remain in Canada for two years straight (without leaving for even one day) before you will be able to apply to renew your PR status. If you have any family members (spouse, children) who do not have PR status and who you wish to sponsor, you will not be able to sponsor them until after you have remained in Canada for 2 years.

jamshad

Star Member
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for ur advice. Yes my family also in same condition. If i try via US and able to entre along with my family then my children will be able toget admission with expired pr. Pl advise.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
scylla said:
It appears you hold a non-visa exempt passport. If that's the case, your only hope for trying to keep your PR status is to obtain a US visitor visa and then to try to re-enter Canada by land from the US using a private car. You must still have your CORP (landing papers) if you want to try this. Note that there's no guarantee this will work.
Alternatively if he felt there was a strong H&C element to consider as the reason for staying outside Canada for so long, he could apply for a PRTD based on this. Of course if this is denied it's pretty much game over and PR status would be revoked before they could even attempt to return to Canada via the USA. If pursuing a H&C case I would get a very good lawyer experienced in H&C cases to help prepare everything.

Though if the family has been away from Canada over 5 straight years... the chance for H&C is probably slim, but i'm really not sure.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just looked at your posting history. Back in October you said that you and your family applied to renew your PR cards. Is that correct? If so, what's the status of your application? If you've submitted a PR card renewal application, your future hangs on what happens to that application. If it's refused, then your PR status is gone (even if you're somehow able to re-enter Canada).

Can you clarify if you did in fact submit the renwal application and what the status of your application is at this time?