+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR while waiting for citizenship

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
I'm planning to send my citizenship application in the fall 2021 and then go to Europe until June 2022 (or until they call me for the citizenship test).
I have a few questions that I haven't been able to figure out by myself and I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Is there any chance I'll be allowed to take my citizenship test online, from abroad?
If not, what if I can't come back because of Covid restrictions? What would happen if I missed my test?

My Permanent Residence card will expire in April 2022. I understand that you don't need to renew a PR while waiting for citizenship, but what about if I go abroad? Do I need to renew my PR to come back to Canada, even just to be able to go to my citizenship test?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I'm planning to send my citizenship application in the fall 2021 and then go to Europe until June 2022 (or until they call me for the citizenship test).
I have a few questions that I haven't been able to figure out by myself and I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Is there any chance I'll be allowed to take my citizenship test online, from abroad?

Nope. I don't think so. You'll have to be physically present in Canada for test, interview (if you get one) AND your oath ceremony even if they are conducted online.

If not, what if I can't come back because of Covid restrictions? What would happen if I missed my test?

You can request IRCC to reschedule the test if you aren't in Canada to take the test.

My Permanent Residence card will expire in April 2022. I understand that you don't need to renew a PR while waiting for citizenship, but what about if I go abroad? Do I need to renew my PR to come back to Canada, even just to be able to go to my citizenship test?

Yes, you would need a valid PR card to get back to Canada from abroad on an airplane. Without a valid PR card, I don't think you can even board the flight to Canada.

If your PR card expires while you are outside Canada, you'll need to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (which is a one time permit to enter Canada as a PR and this process takes months). I wouldn't take any of these risks. Renew your PR card BEFORE you leave the country.

Reactions: marta cocchi