+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewal pr card due to humanitarian ground

Asa22

Oct 27, 2014
Hi all

I applied for my renewal pr card on begining of july after my appeal won due to humanitarian and compassionate ground .. my residency abligation has already approved on the court and i'v already submited the decesion of my appeal and they should just release my new pr card .Now my question is :
How is the processing for this situation? Is there any similar case?
I just want to make sure does they mail the new pr card for me and Is it safe if i want to travel ?

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asa22 said:
Hi all

I applied for my renewal pr card on begining of july after my appeal won due to humanitarian and compassionate ground .. my residency abligation has already approved on the court and i'v already submited the decesion of my appeal and they should just release my new pr card .Now my question is :
I just want to make sure does they mail the new pr card for me and Is it safe if i want to travel ?
No issues

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Asa22 said:
Hi all

They have approved your appeal based on H & C appeal. They will renew your card also based on that. If you still have an issue with your R/O and you leave the country still not meeting it, you can find yourself starting all over again from square one if you leave the country. The reason being they gave you a 'pass' to get you back into the country and agreed that your reasons were valid. What reasons are you going to use this time if you leave the country and they report you for failing to meet the RO again when you try to come back?

Winning an appeal gives you the pass, but it doesn't remove your RO obligation.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alurra71 said:
They have approved your appeal based on H & C appeal. They will renew your card also based on that. If you still have an issue with your R/O and you leave the country still not meeting it, you can find yourself starting all over again from square one if you leave the country. The reason being they gave you a 'pass' to get you back into the country and agreed that your reasons were valid. What reasons are you going to use this time if you leave the country and they report you for failing to meet the RO again when you try to come back?

Are you implying that after the OP is approved under H&C and he/she gets new PR cards then leaves the country for lets say 1 or even 6 months, that he/she risks getting reported when returning? Thats definitely not true.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Issue: PR issued 44(1) report and Removal Order, Removal Order successfully appealed based on H&C grounds:

Alurra71 said:

In contrast:

CanV said:
Are you implying that after the OP is approved under H&C and he/she gets new PR cards then leaves the country for lets say 1 or even 6 months, that he/she risks getting reported when returning? Thats definitely not true.
I am no expert, no lawyer, but having followed the few, sporadically published Federal Court and IAD decisions there are in PR Removal Order cases based on inadmissibility due to a breach of the PR Residency Obligation, for a number of years now, my sense is that the post by Alurra71 is closer to the mark than the categorical assertion to the contrary by CanV, but it is not as though merely traveling abroad will involve a reassessment of the previous absences in effect excused due for H&C reasons.

In particular, for sure, getting the H&C pass once does not thereafter forever immunize a PR from being found inadmissible due to a breach of the PR Residency Obligation. The question is what extent of absence will (1) trigger a residency examination which (2) CBSA and CIC (if Removal Order issued and appealed) determine to constitute a breach of the PR Residency Obligation rendering the PR inadmissible (and thereby revoking PR status).

I am quite confident this is not a question which can be answered in the abstract, but is one that is dependent on a wide, wide range of circumstances and factors specific to the individual, and specific to the particular event itself. A brief absence, for example, will almost certainly not trigger a residency examination upon return to Canada, but even if it does the ultimate outcome should not be negative. The longer the absence, the more risk there is to the contrary.

Some older cases have fairly explicitly said that once an absence is, in effect, adjudicated (meaning there was a successful appeal usually) as excused due to H&C grounds, the validity of the H&C grounds cannot be revisited (due to what is called "res judicata," meaning the thing has been decided) and thus that absence should not, going forward, be counted against the PR for purposes of assessing compliance with the PR Residency Obligation. What is not clear, however, is the extent to which longer absences can be considered a change in circumstances warranting a reconsideration overall. Remember, the H&C evaluation is complex, and while the reason(s) for remaining abroad is a critical factor, other factors loom large as well, including the duration of the absence and whether or not the applicant returned to Canada at the soonest opportunity.

There are a number of things which make it particularly difficult to predict what sort of absence might trigger problems, perhaps even a Removal Order that survives an appeal thus becoming enforceable (thus constituting the revocation of PR status), and while the variability of circumstances for the specific individual looms largest among these, it should be remembered that the trend over recent years has been for both CBSA and CIC to be increasingly strict in enforcing the PR Residency Obligation.

In general, though, I would consider leaving Canada for anything other than a clearly temporary reason to be risky. For example, leaving Canada within a month of receiving the new PR card, to live and work abroad, elevates the risk dramatically, recognizing that how soon one thereafter attempts to return to Canada is probably a big factor . . . within a month or so, probably not so much a problem . . . more than six months, very risky.

Also note that the fact that the PR had to appeal the earlier Removal Order indicates what the sentiment, inclinations, of CBSA and CIC are, as in not favourable. Engaging in conduct (extended absence for example) which might give CBSA or CIC an excuse to attempt to issue and make a Removal Order enforceable, is probably a bad idea.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
To be clear, I should have noted that just leaving Canada itself should not result in a Residency Examination in which the previous period of absence, in effect forgiven by the adjudication ruling there were sufficient H&C grounds, is considered.

That is, just leaving will not in itself put the PR back at square one.

That said, CBSA and CIC have both advocated the validity of doing just that. The Federal Court disagreed. This is why I tried to emphasize how risky any extended absence might be, because CBSA and/or CIC may be, in effect, looking for excuses to get around the res judicata effect of the prior H&C ruling.

But, again, the extent to which CBSA or CIC may be aggressive toward a particular PR is very, very dependent on a wide, wide range of factors and circumstances specific to the individual.